Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looks like we're going to France

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK, whoa, I know this isn't a really grown up road trip, but I need a holiday. Looks like a trip over to France is on the cards. I've been all over the world, and I have done lots of camping as well as loads of driving. But what I haven't done, is drive over to France with the family on a camping holiday. See? It's a new combination.

So any really USEFUL pointers would be handy. You know, the sorts of thing that someone well traveled and not a complete idiot might still miss.

OK - car insurance, European breakdown, car modifications and extra on board equipment - check
Passports and health insurance - check
Dog into kennels - check
Drive on the wrong side - check
Lock doors, gas off - Ooh, did we leave the oven on....

Dollars. I think. They take US dollars? Is France in Europe? I know it's in Spain, but is it in Europe?

See, I get this stuff.

It's the sort of stuff I'd feel a complete donkey saying "Ahh, I don't know that but should've"

We plan to take the cross channel hovercraft to Calais, drive sorta down the left side of the middle to the Dordoigne, do some canoe stuff, down to Carcasonne, look impressed, eat a little cheese then come back up via Lyon (where the cakes come from I think) through Dijon (famous for its ketchup) and back to the seaside where we'll get the hovercraft back to Blighty in time for tea and crumpets.

Did I miss anything. Oh, isn't diesel called L'essence in French? Don't want to get that wrong. We have a map of Poland which should serve I guess. We were going to use GPS but figure it would be in French so that went out of the window.

So, anything we've missed?

Can't wait. Pointers welcome.

Visited France (Paris) Couple months ago!

I went by the tunnel! The cost is by car you see, not by person so worked out £35 return for my cruiser! Had to sneak into the Higher Tunnel as my height was over 1.9 metres (Woops)

Driving there is easier than the UK, keep Right unless overtaking ect ect ect In towns especially paris people have no patience and look down every gap possible to overtake. I just ignore them and smile when they finally get to drive past...

I camped in a small town called "Ile De re" Which is West of France, very lovely including the people and atmosphere. I believe you must also travel with two breathalysers?

Erm other than that, there's not much to it! Oh, if you have a "GB" sticker, remove it during the ferry docking and inside the ferry as people nick them!

And Enjoy :icon-biggrin:

They nick the GB stickers? Now that I wouldn't have known.

Used the tunnel before when I went boar shooting in Alsace. It was pretty good.

Get a toll tag, great job for flying through the tolls, also gives a certain I'm an experienced traveller feeling!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tip but not planning on taking the tolls this trip. Used those before and it is like being on the M6 toll. Very quick. Going to meander a bit - so I am being told.

First time I went, I seem to remember the first booth had left and right hand payment access, Then after that it was a right palaver leaning through the window trying to reach

Maps of Poland for a trip to France would work better if you have them upside down.

Exchange the dollars for Euro, they take Euro in Spain...

Learn the phrase "je ne parlais pas Francais, me duk" and say it loudly in a Derbyshire accent, works every time.:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you thank you thank you. Clive that is gold dust. I have heard that shouting is effective too as is adding 'o' to the end of everything. Whiskyo, beero, hotelo etc.

Thank you thank you thank you. Clive that is gold dust. I have heard that shouting is effective too as is adding 'o' to the end of everything. Whiskyo, beero, hotelo etc.

Yep, shoutin' as loud as you can in small shops is favourite, they understand the lingo much better. I think the "o" trick works in Spain, but it's tricky buying polo mints...

"Silver plates" and "murky buckets" are two phrases that should help you along, still trying to figure out what "whores de ovaries" is, but best used out of earshot of the wife I reckon.

:think: Hmmm, I think adding the 'o' works in Italy not sure about France.

EDIT

Don't use the motorway pull overs for overnight camping (if you have roof tent) use the service stations, they allow overnight stops. I've heard of gas being pumped into tents, when you are then fast asleep (or worse) they rob.

Last edited:
If you need to converse with a local (to find out where to get egg and chips), and you don't speak Spanish, don't start the conversation in English. Use any other language. Make one up if you have to. Then wait for the local to ask you if you speak English.

The sanef tolling tags are worth it. Yes they cost more than paying in cash, but much less hassle to get through tolls.

If you are travelling around a lot and using campsites near major routes be aware in peak season they are often full by late afternoon or early evening by people in transit. I have seen queues at gate and people being turned away in both Beaune and Troyes. So best to arrive before 4pm to get a space or book ahead.

Beaune is a lovely town and worth a visit and a good place to buy Burgundy ;)
It's just south of Dijon. We have stopped here last 2 years, and plan to visit again in october

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, in amongst the laughs, some really useful tips there. Thanks. That's the kinda thing I need. My french is acceptable, so I may try Dutch instead to see if it confuses them.

Booking ahead is deff what we'll be doing. We would only stay at a service halt in an emergency I think, but good detail there Chas.

Just how much are the tolls now? Last time I used them I though they were pretty cheap really.

We dawdled through France down to the Auvergne & back last year, camping along the way, for 3½ weeks; blooming brilliant way to spend yer hols :icon-cool: Hopefully doing something similar next year.

Didn't use toll roads on the way down but did for a time coming back; the toll road tag is well worth having in your kit IMHO.

We used the ACSI camping sites & never had a bust; they were all fine. Didn't book & had no problems finding spaces. There's always another site nearby.

I've been around the Dordogne region a couple of times in the past - lovely area. Rocamadour is a pretty village to call in on. Canoeing is a must!!!

When are you going Chris??

I see what's going on...

Chris has seen the pics of the pretty ladies at disneyland and had booked himself some tickets :lol: :lol:

We got a travel money card from the post office, pre paid master card that is in euros so didn't have to carry loads of cash. Free to get one and not a bad exchange rate, it had better rates then my credit card. Can top up via a phone app and only 2 euro charge to withdraw at a cash point.

hi there

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]meme choix (same again), is the only French i think anybody needs to know. I am in France all the time in fact i am there now, if you are going to Carcassonne you can drop down to the coat it is 2 hours, Cap d' adge is nice for kids, Sete is like a French isle of white crossed with Venice, and Marserllain is pretty on the end of the Canal d'Midi. Food is very good and very cheap in this area of France and the camping is the best France has to offer,,,,(its where the French go on holiday)

ps if you are going to the beaches they are very nice very hot but can be windy so a pop up tent is a must

pps i always travel light in France just because it super markets are everywhere if you ever need anything so no need to take a months worth of sun tan lotion with you for example

hope some of that is of use

Giles[/FONT]

A tip that helps me especially first thing in the morning or when you have that panic moment of what side is the right one is to remember that the steering wheel belongs to the edge of the road - sounds daft but I find it helps.

Something we also love doing is using the "France-Passion" guide (http://www.france-passion.co.uk/) It does say motor home on there but we have had no problem with the RTT and being self contained (i.e toilet and waste water.) On the christmas trip to Barcelona we ended up staying in an olive grove in the Corbiere region which was really lovely.

Nearly everything is closed on a Sunday so make sure you food shop before then.

Check with Steve to see if he is about for a beer once you reach the Dordogne - he's a top bloke.

This is a wild camp spot we've used a couple of time when catching late night ferries out: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x47ddeceb3c7b9529:0xe5d43af850a150ad

Watch for this - I haven't come across it yet but I'm still wary: Priorité à droite - the old French system was to give priority to all traffic coming from the right. This still applies at unmarked crossroads in the countryside, in small villages, as well as minor streets inside cities, etc. Most other road crossings have some kind of priority system implemented. Yellow lozenge signs indicate that your road is prioritary (all other roads must yield); a yellow lozenge with a bar shows ends this. Watch out; for drivers from other countries this is one of the most confusing aspects of French driving.

Make sure you have your V5 & Insurance papers with you - just in case you're stopped by the rozzas. I haven't been stopped in France but have in Germany where they did want all of this paperwork. It probably didn't help that we were in an old jag sovereign decorated with a christmas theme - but that's another story.

Don't be too wary of fixed speed cameras - I'm yet to receive anything in the mail.

Invest in one of the windscreen mounted cameras

... thats about all I can think of ;)

I've got a couple of un opened disposable breath testers if you want them Chris. Be out of date before I go to France again.

Just picking up Gary's point about the cards, we also got the post office card - very good system that you can top up from your mobile phone if necessary & no fees.

I also go the Halifax clarity credit card which has no fees for spending abroad & no interest if paid off on time.

We stopped at one supermarket to pick up a few bits for lunch at around noon & 5 minutes into the shop, all the lights went off & we were ushered out as they were closing for their lunch!!! Hilarious!!!

I also go the Halifax clarity credit card which has no fees for spending abroad & no interest if paid off on time.

This is a top tip. This is an excellent card to have for travel abroad. One other point to note is it also gives excellent exchange rates, not the frankly criminal ones that some cards offer.

Back