Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low Emission Zone - London

Andrew Prince

I just received a letter through the post this morning saying that from the beginning of 2012, all larger vans, minibuses and 4x4s will need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards to drive in the Low Emission Zone (which covers most of greater London :shock: ) There will be a daily charge of £100 and the zone is in force 365 days a year, 24 hours a day unlike the congestion charge.

At face value, this looks like scary stuff. I think I may just about live outside the boundary for the LEZ but I will not be able to drive into the LEZ at all, unless my 80 meets Euro 3 emissions. Which I have no clue about!

Anyone know much about this? Presumably this affects the other London owners of 80s and similar older trucks... Homework time on Euro 3 emissions....

Our trucks should be fine (unless you have a commercial model).

Nope, not registered as a commercial vehicle. Basically it appears to apply to ALL vehicles registered new before 2002 that produce above a certain amount of emissions. Obviously un-PC 4x4s are a nice target. Maybe my 80 will be under the emissions limit, although I don't see there being any provision for a nasty polluting vehicle actually being able to be tested and possibly passing. It looks like you have to go to some certified, approved agent to have a "filter" fitted. Who knows whether the filter gets the emissions under the limit but that seems to be the only option...

This cr@p really gets my goat - surely the government have got more important things to to concentrate on? I guess there are so many old 4x4s on the road that we're all destroying the atmosphere.

fridayman said:
That's not what the letter says - or any of the blurb on their website....

Perhaps Boris Johnson's family have shares in the filter company :think:

Andrew Prince said:
fridayman said:
That's not what the letter says - or any of the blurb on their website....

Perhaps Boris Johnson's family have shares in the filter company :think:

The idea behind this is supposed to go after commercial polluting traffic. I think the website is a bit confusing because it says "It doesn't matter whether your vehicle is used for commercial or private purposes - it will still need to meet the standards" i.e. what it is actually used for is not relevant, so you or I can't go and buy an old polluting Transit and use it to commute in LEZ. This applies to all 4X4 light utility vehicles too, but our trucks are classed as cars which are exempt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fridayman said:
This applies to all 4X4 light utility vehicles too, but our trucks are classed as cars which are exempt.
I [strike:1xwvmdqg]have been researching on[/strike:1xwvmdqg]accidentally came across some LR forums where they raise the issue of 4x4 light utility vehicle versus an estate... I need to check my V5 and see what mine is registered as. It appears that if I re-register my 80 as an estate, then I'll be a good, environmentally-friendly citizen once more :shifty:

Can anyone else with an 80 check their V5 and see what type of vehicle it's classified as? Maybe if my 80 turns into an estate I'll pay lower tax and my insurance will drop :whistle:

I've read about it in caravan mags as affecting motor homes but I'm not sure if they had to be above a weight limit to be affected. I didn't pay too much attention as it's for diesels to clean up all those nasty particulates :mrgreen:

I think if the vehicle is under 1.2t it may be exempt. I didn't pay too much attention as I have a sneaking suspicion that my 80 might not make that weight limit :twisted:

Andrew, I take it that you've received a letter from TFL that quotes your 80's reg number (VRM) and saying that it is not LEZ compliant after January 3rd 2012, hence your concern. There must be an error somewhere in the system, if this is the case.

The LEZ is only applicable to diesel engined commercial vehicles weighing 1.2t or more. Although your 80 is diesel engined, and weighs more than 1.2t, it is a car and not a commercial vehicle, therefore it does not need to comply to euro3 to drive in the LEZ come 2012. Have you been on the LEZ compliance checker and entered your VRM? If so, and it comes up as not compliant, you can click on the line under the results box to lodge a dispute regarding your 80.

It maybe that they have been given incorrect details for your 80. Is your 80 an UK or import? I haven't heard of anyone having problems with UK 80's, but there is the possibility that imported 80's could have been incorrectly registered with the DVLA, and that can cause a vehicle to come up as non compliant.

An 80 series is a car, even though its a 4x4, it is not a commercial. If however an 80 series has been converted at some point to a van or pick up, and has been reclassified with the DVLA as a commercial, then it would be classed as a diesel engined commercial, and would be subject to the LEZ.

I have borrowed a few VRM's from diesel engined 80's that belong to our club members, as well as my own VRM, and have run them through the LEZ compliance checker, and they all come up as not subject to the LEZ. If yours doesn't comeback as the same, then you've been unlucky, and you need to get it cleared up before 2012, if your going to be driving the 80 inside the LEZ in 2012.

I work with a guy who has an imported Nissan Terrano, and his vehicle has been incorrectly registered when imported, and he's going from pillar to post, to try and get his vehicle correctly registered as its clearly a car and not a commercial.

On the flip side, anyone fancy a cheap pre-2002 commercial? There's a real glut of them for sale in the south east at the mo.

Cheers, Scott - that is very helpful and positive. :thumbup: Yes, I got the letter so I am assuming they approached me because their system says my 80 is not compliant. I will enter my VIN/VRM and see what it says. :pray:
I haven't checked my V5 yet to see what it says about the type of vehicle. Looks like I may have to do battle with them to reclassify my 80. Definitely not something I was expecting!

EDIT: Yes, their checker says my VRM is non-compliant :angry-cussing: I guess the battle is about to commence!

"It maybe that they have been given incorrect details for your 80. Is your 80 an UK or import? I haven't heard of anyone having problems with UK 80's, but there is the possibility that imported 80's could have been incorrectly registered with the DVLA, and that can cause a vehicle to come up as non compliant."

- used to sell imports and many were registered incorrectly as 4x4 light utility - if this is the case for yours....
why not go to the local VRO and ask to change the details to correct estate car. or better write to the dvla enclosing your old v5 with change of details and letter stating please correct your (DVLA) error to show estate car which is what all land cruisers are. i wouldn't even detail why.

remember they work for you as a public servant.

I know i don't live near london or anything ... but our 78 is classed as a "Motor caravan" on the V5c (log book) ....should i be trying to get it re-classified as an estate

Red Oktober said:
I know i don't live near london or anything ... but our 78 is classed as a "Motor caravan" on the V5c (log book) ....should i be trying to get it re-classified as an estate
Not sure if it needs to be re-classified, but the reason for it being classed as that was for SVA purposes, there was a loophole in the rules for SVA, so if you fitted a cooker sink and table it got away with a very quick inspection, I did my first Surf using this, then most of the others that I imported were over 10 years old so were classed as cars.

Just to update and maybe conclude this thread, especially if anyone else has to go through this process: I went and spoke to my local DVLA office. The lady that first helped me was a bit sceptical - she immediately cottoned onto why i was asking :twisted: But she went off and spoke to a superior who was apparently "in the know" and low and behold, they said no problem they'll reclassify it as an estate! :mrgreen: Result! so my V5 will be reissued and I'm a very happy camper :thumbup:

As a note to other members who live outside of London but occasionally drive into London - this new Low Emission Zone will mean you have to pay £100/day if your LC is classified as a 4x4 light utility and you inadvertently drive into central London. :( As it seems simple to sort this with the DVLA, it seems like it would be wise to get your estate correctly classified now :cool:

Cheers,

When I checked my registration in the Transport London website I don't fall foul of the policy. Good stuff then!!

Yes, you shouldn't as your 120 will meet Euro IV emissions regs or whatever applies. I think it's pre-2001 vehicles that they're chasing now.

ahhh - just the skedonks then :lol:

Glad you got it sorted though - but what a palaver! Anything to make a buck. Perhaps they need to ban people smoking in the stgreet instead - pretty sure that must cause more pollution, along with the ash and stompies, than most commercial vehicles do :lol:

Oops! :violence-hammer:

Back