Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Malta

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Have just come from a delayed holiday in Malta (had major surgery last year)
Must admit when coming into land, thought the bus driver had taken a wrong turn and put us in Beirut, or somewhere similar, my thoughts were no different on the taxi ride to the hotel.

When I got used to it, it was OK
One thing I'm glad I didn't do, was drive, I think London is insane, this place leaves it in the shade, and with narrower roads.

The upside is public transport, ie buses is brilliant, we bought a 7 day unlimited bus pass for 21 euros, and depending on which route buses 10 to 20 mins apart
The local people are very friendly and helpful, and speak English, the weather is superb, blue skies, and when I was there, in the mid 20s
Valletta is a hectic thriving city, with must see's of the War Museum, thought it was fantastic, and only been open 12 months.

St Johns Cathedral, I'm not a religious person, but this place is totally awe inspiring, all inlaid with gold leaf
Medina known as The Silent City to the north, and Marsaxlokke the colourful fishing village to the south.
By the time we were leaving, I really began to like Malta, while I would not like to live there, I will definitely be going back

Main Street Valletta

9E3B0564-1163-4CD5-A456-7450928E8EB8_zpscmlydkua.jpg

St Johns Cathedral

034E533B-E321-490C-8957-F35AFA4EBE98_zpshibf9k9w.jpg

Marsaxlokk

78D3B771-D0D4-4B3A-854D-77C4B6D1BA3D_zpsuvphw3sn.jpg

The number of 4x4s over there is insane, Pickups, Defenders, Shoguns, loads of them jacked and with snorkels, soft roaders shed loads of them.

I saw 7 LWB and 1 SWB 120s and 5 LWB 90s
AND THIS

A2C0629A-C1D1-4A38-963B-0E74818420A2_zpstmgahxxj.jpg

Also saw some others, earlier numbers which I couldn't recognise, very square shape like the Nissan Patrol

That looks cool. The cathedral is quite modest isn't it...

Quite like the FJ - did not get enough of them sold in the UK. :(

Yes all the churches over there are very plain and modest :D

Did wonder what that one was, saw that on the last night on the way back to the hotel

Did wonder what that one was, saw that on the last night on the way back to the hotel

They had a bit of a surge in the US and I think Aus and South Africa got a few but they did not do that well. Very much a "cool kids" car but priced beyond what the "cool kids" could afford. The inside is also very marmite.

I've often thought Malta could be a good source of rust free, right hand drive cars for export to the UK. :think:

Love the place Brian.

My first holiday there was in '80, stayed at Ta' Xbiex and I've been back there 5 times since in various places, Slima, St. Julian's....

I think it's a love it or hate it place. It's a shambles, but the people, scenery, and the food are great, the weathers lovely, and the chaos kinda grows on you.

I really enjoyed the old busses and old cars, all in a well preserved state. Maybe there's not so many now, but they used to be all over.

I've driven while there many times, and it's just a case of keeping out of everyone's way :lol:

Hope you're recovering well. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are the Maltese busses corporation owned? when I was there I sort of got the impression they could have been privately owned.

Always good to see personal pics rather than the brochure shots seen on google :thumbup:

The new FJ is a bit of a conundrum for me , pics had me thinking mrT should be shot but when i seen one on the road i did want to know more .

Are the Maltese busses corporation owned? when I was there I sort of got the impression they could have been privately owned.

They've got brand new buses, all sign written with Malta Public Transport, so I would presume corporation owned.
Loads of private coaches about

When I was there in 2014 a lot of the busses had an individual look about them, I wondered if they were subcontracted or something.

Hope you're recovering well.

Yes I'm fine now thanks Clive, Mrs might not agree with that statement though :D

All the buses had Air Con of some description, and a scrolling LED screen by the driver with the next stop and district and the direction you were going displayed in both Maltese and English, there was also a voice message saying the same thing

Spent 10 days in Gozo a few years ago. Absolutely loved the place, but it is a lot smaller than the Maynard, and as such driving around it was easy.

Defo recommended for a holiday

Back