Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metal filings on plug during diff oil change

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

Just changed the rear diff oil and found some pretty big metal filings on the magnetic plug. see photo. Is this normal, or something to worry about?

It had a new ARB diff locker installed 2 years ago, so not sure if its normal wearing in.

N

tempImage2hNtOH.png
tempImageS1qAoV.png

I'd say fairly normal if its the first time its ever been removed in X00000 miles. If you'd changed the diff oil 5K ago and that had appeared I'd be concerned about its long term reliability. What was the oil like?

Mine was just like that when I 1st changed the oil, don't think APW ever did it in 60k I gave it a flush out with paraffin then changed the oil a few times at the same interval as the engine all is good now

It does look to be about 50k miles worth. As David says, it should be better next time. Would recommend another look after 10k to be safe.

Thanks guys,

that's reassuring to hear. The oil looked ok. It had done 30k km's so was overdue. (I normally change at around 25k kms). I'll change it again when I get back to the UK in about 15k km's and see how it looks.

As always, really appreciate having your knowledge on hand for these things that crop up. I can't stress how helpful it is to have a support system while travelling. :smiley:

N

Just thinking on, yours is a RWD in most situations if I remember right. The rear diff does twice as much work as an 80 or 100, more if its heavily loaded. If there's no noise and its not leaking from the pinion oil seal then it should be ok but I'd have it out when I got back for examination.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back