Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mileage / Consumption : What to expect?

What size spanners....... :D

I am purely doing local stuff at the moment, it should be the worst mpg I get (normally 18-19mpg in my Lj78), so should be able to come up with town driving mpg to compare.

The biggest service improvement I had in the LJ was adding an injector cleaner to the diesel, gave me a noticeable increase (maybe 1.5mpg if I recall correctly), but the better option would be to have your injectors checked and serviced if necessary.

Pete

Something not right at all there, Matt... That engine should do better than 10km/l driving it you've described.
Check the easy stuff like air filter, put it in neutral on a level surface and give it a push to see whether brakes are dragging, stick some injector cleaner or 2 stroke oil in, look for fuel leaks, make sure tyre pressure is not too low.
Assuming it's an auto, I presume it's going into top gear (OD?) ok and you're able to cruise at fairly low revs at 55-60mph? (I would think you'd be at or below 2000rpm in top gear at those speeds).

You may well find that a decent fluid change all round with nice fresh 10W-40 oil in the engine, fresh ATF in the gearbox, diff levels checked and some fresh grease in the UJs and magically your mpg will improve.

Cheers,

3.0 1KZTE + Suspension Lift and BF ATs 265/70/16s + Snorkle MANUAL Gearbox 150K miles on the clock

Normal Driving in and out of town (2 adults and child and child's stuff) = 27mpg
Long run on the Motorway Loaded up = 31mpg
Enthusiastic Driving = 24mpg

17 is definately too low, as above check all the easy stuff first - I did have the injectors cleaned in my truck, didn't seem to make any difference at the time, but may have helped...

Hi all
Thanks for the info. All helps me tick things off the list.

Update is :
- I have already put a bottle of injector cleaner through the truck a couple tanks ago.
- It doesn't smoke at all. Really. There's no smoke so if the injectors are not in good shape, there should be unburnt fuel and hence smoke. I'll get em checked when I head up north though.
- Air filter checked and it's clean as a whistle
- Fuel filter checked and it too is clean [will replace though, just need to get one]
- Engine oil. It's black. No surprise. [To be changed]
- Checked fuel lines and tank and no leaks.
* Got the go ahead from my mate who's truck it really is to do the work so soon as I'm back..

Did the trip to Stoney Cove (Leicester) this weekend passed and the diving was excellent. 8 degrees so chilly but really good. Anyone interested please contact me cause we're going again in January.. Will post pics as soon as I get them from him..

Used 54litres of diesel and did 230miles.

Andrew - you mentioned the RPM.
I travelled at 65mph on average and the revs are always 2200 - 2300
It is in top gear. Does that sound right to everyone? I does feel right / not like it's struggling.
It idles at 800rpm smooth as a whistle.

Will reply back when I've done th eservice and checked diffs / brakes etc as mentioned. Thanks for the ideas and Mary Christmas :text-merryxmas:

The only diesel injector cleaner that I have found to make any difference is the Millers stuff (available at Halfords).

I don't often travel at 65mph but the rpms sound about right.

I've only been up to Stoney Cove once, but would like to do it again. Just not sure I can still fit in a wet suit though :oops:

Im running a 3.o kzte lwb auto and have been monitoring the mpg since i got it six months past .im not heavy footed and tend to keep it around 1900 to 2200 rpm,but i only do around 100 miles per week mainly around the doors.ive averaged 25.7mpg and thats mostly urban driving eg less than 10 miles between stops.hope this helps.
regards Mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Matt

Apologies if the following is a bit disjointed, I've pasted it from elsewhere.

Basically, its checking the speedo/odo accuracy, as I found them both th to inaccurate in opposite directions!

Thus:

That also needs the odometer to be accurate.

On 33" tyres, my speedo now under-reads by 5%, so at an indicated 60mph on the speedo, my gps tells me that I am doing 63mph. Its consistent across the clock, so at 40 I am doing 42mph etc.

Yesterday I checked the accuracy of the odometer and found that it is under-reading by 9%, so if I drive exactly 1000m it only reads 910m. (thats metres...)

Easiest way to check this is by using the small marker posts on a motorway, they are 100m apart, and drive as slow as if practical to allow accurate pressing of the odo reset button.

My odo reads in Km, if you have a Mph version then the trick is to find a 'measured mile' which the Police use to check calibration of their speedo's.

You cant do the same test - ie sit at 60 and it should take exactly 60 seconds between the two markers, as a UK spec speedo over-reads by 5% plus 2mph, but the odometer is set to read correctly, so you can check the distance indicated is accurate, and if not, how much you are out.

In general terms, bigger tyres will make the odo under-read, smaller tyres will over-read.

With use, wear at both ends of the odo can lead to inaccuracy, so worth checking as above.

For your consideration.

Cheers.

Pete

In danger of getting a bit over complicated here folks. You know if you said you'd done 450 miles on a full tank or 420 miles, there's only 1mpg difference between the the figures on a 90 l tank. Measuring distance between fence posts isn't necessary. If it says 'Leeds 160 miles' on the sign post, it's probably good enough for the calculation. Pete is in a slightly different position as he has over size tyres and speedo in KM and odo in miles so some sort of accuracy is needed there to start with. But again, if it says 'Services 21 miles' then set zero and see what it says when you come off on the ramp. It really doesn't need to be any better than that.

There's all sorts of other variations - air temp, ground temp at the filling station etc etc.

I'm beginning to think a bit more like JW on this. Just put fuel in when it's empty and live with it. If you recall I posted a spreadsheet with cost per mile against price per litre at which point I realised that none of this made any significant difference.

Cost per mile at the current £1.39 changes basically 1p per mile extra per gallon that you get. So on the 450 mile trip mentioned above, it's less than a fiver difference. That is not the bit I fret over; it's the fact that it still cost me £135 to fill it in the first place!!!!!

And we all know whose fault that is don't we.

Chris

Quite agree.

If economy alone is the issue, then driving a big 4wd will never seem a practical option!

There are many things difficult to quantify - safety being the main one. My old LJ78 did 18mpg around town, but the old girl that rear-ended it completely wrote her euro box off and was lucky not to lose her left leg, whereas my LJ was back on the road for about £150.00 with no more than a dented corner.

On saying that, if regular servicing and care produces a couple more mpg, or maybe another 50,000 miles on the engine, then its win-win as you should be doing that anyway (says he, who looked under the bonnet for the first time today, bloody shiny under there!)

Regards

Pete

Guy, you also have to admit - even if the truck is capable of 30mpg, most of the time driving technique :) drops that down significantly.... I agree dont worry about the MPG

A friend of mine keeps going on about how good his golf is on fuel - but in the last 12 months he has had to buy a new dual mass flywheel, new injector seals, the cam belt cost him a lot due to needing something extra when being done.... I worked out that over our similar average milage, he had actually spent MORE money.... (and I argued his car had depreciated more)... so it ain't all about fuel!

Dave :)

DaveWall said:
Guy, you also have to admit - even if the truck is capable of 30mpg, most of the time driving technique :) drops that down significantly.... I agree dont worry about the MPG

A friend of mine keeps going on about how good his golf is on fuel - but in the last 12 months he has had to buy a new dual mass flywheel, new injector seals, the cam belt cost him a lot due to needing something extra when being done.... I worked out that over our similar average milage, he had actually spent MORE money.... (and I argued his car had depreciated more)... so it ain't all about fuel!

Dave :)

I have to agree with you there. At the end of the day you dont buy a landcruiser for its fuel economy, but for its reliability and the capability of going anywhere and getting back. The most you will get out of these things will probably we 33mpg and the lowest maybe 22mpg so when you do the maths its really not that much.... and then wheres the fun in driving like a granny.

I have to say though I am extremly please with my mk4 Golf 1.9 tdi. I do 100 miles a day with it, owned it for 3 years and its got130,000 on it. Delivers good performance and 60 mpg. And I service it once a year (oil and fuel filter) top up washer screen, and occasionally wash it. I think I have probably spent less than £100 on it in the last 3 years....

Lowest 22? What are you driving? I hit 13 the other day. Don't know whether to laugh or .... :sad-roulette:

22 would be a dream. Best I have had recently was 21 on a long run

Chris

Chris said:
Lowest 22? What are you driving? I hit 13 the other day. Don't know whether to laugh or .... :sad-roulette:

22 would be a dream. Best I have had recently was 21 on a long run

Chris

I was talking about my Colorado here.... Overall I average out 26 mpg a tank.

Back