Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milners rear bumper light cluster

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I needed to change the rear light clusters on Fiery so ordered 2 replacements from Milners.

Spent some time with RTV to make them a bit more watertight and then 3.5 hours removing the bumper and grinding out the old fittings.

Connected up and hey presto, they are wired up incorrectly. Indicator and side/brake lights are all opposite, very annoying and both fittings behave the same. Too dark to sort now but will waste a day figuring it out and trying to remedy.

Blimey Trev :shock: Sounds like you had some fun there! I was just trying to think back and I'm not certain that I ever removed the rear bumper on Fiery. I did however refurbish/repair the bumper light clusters when I first bought Fiery. The previous owner had connected the tow bar electrics directly to the bumper lights looms with scotch lock connectors leaving them open to the elements! He'd also replaced one of the lamp holders with a non standard one from memory. I removed the tow bar wiring and made good the looms again and also refitted the poor earthing, gave them a good clean a coat of Krust and paint and a heavy coat of ignition sealer. What I don't understand is the reverse connection that you've got :? Did the new Milner ones come with lamp holders loom and a connector?

Milners kit comes with a loom that terminates in a 4 pin plug, this plug then connects straight into the truck loom. I'm guessing a cross eyed colour blind operative during manufacture might be the culprit, quality control just happened to miss the 2 units I bought.

i fitted a milner unit a year or so ago, and thankfully wiring was fine

I'm fairly confident that the wiring coming out of Fiery will be as it should be! Famous last words I know :icon-smile: When I get a chance later on I'll look up on the schematics what color wires do what and what pins in the plug they should occupy for you :icon-smile:

Here's the photos I took way back in mid 2010 when I removed the tow bar electrics and refurbished the wiring and units, not sure if they'll be of any help, but interesting that I managed to remove them back then without removing the bumper! I'm sure I would have refitted them with a smear of Copper Slip :think: To be fair though you could not want for a more harsh environment than tucked up under that rear bumper with all the road spray and salt!

PC170172_zpsba3a09c6.jpg

PC170173_zps13a1ceff.jpg

PC170174_zpsd4e57639.jpg

PC170181_zps2c35b51b.jpg

PC170183_zpsc5b09b29.jpg

PC170185_zpsc27aa04e.jpg

PC170187_zps91f1bbcf.jpg

PC170188_zps8310c4aa.jpg

PC170189_zpscfdfbeb9.jpg

PC170192_zpsb14a82e8.jpg

PC170193_zps26e55041.jpg

PC170195_zps04be4257.jpg

PC170197_zpscd6c0d5f.jpg

PC170198_zpsbbd1e57b.jpg

PC170199_zpsfb304320.jpg

PC170200_zps9f882ed5.jpg

PC170201_zps22076036.jpg

PC170202_zpsa382fc1c.jpg

PC190203_zps3d5e0f18.jpg

PC190204_zps9705fd6a.jpg

PC190205_zps288da446.jpg

PC190206_zps7f67abc2.jpg

PC190207_zps8d593796.jpg

PC190208_zps30b181d3.jpg

PC190209_zps1b26f9bd.jpg

PC200213_zpsec4bdd57.jpg

PC200216_zpsba8d7d32.jpg

If you would Steve, that'll be a huge help. I had to drop the bumper as the metal fittings behind it were too corroded to get the units out in situ.

Once I had room to play with, you couldn't get a socket to grip to undo the fittings. In the end I had to cut with a Dremel and then grind off the remainder to get the housings out, as you say they are in a harsh environment.

I'll need to meter out the loom plug to see what's being fed where, I'll see if this marries up to your info.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
had to use dremel and angle grinder to remove mine too...

OK here's how it is. I think :shifty: :think: :icon-smile:

Grab the plug that's on the end of the loom coming out of the car. It should be a 4 pin female plug, hold it with the wires running away from you looking down into the socket with the release clippy thing on top. It should be numbered as follows, top left pin 1, top right pin 2, bottom left pin 3 and bottom right pin 4. Pin 1 should be a white wire with a black stripe and that is the earth conection. Pin 2 should be a green wire and that should be the tail light. Pin 3 should be a green wire with a yellow stripe and that should be the turn signal. Pin 4 should be a green wire with a white stripe and that should be the stop light.

Hope I've got that correct or it'll just add to the confusion :icon-twisted: :icon-smile:

Fixed the problem :icon-biggrin:

I metered out the loom on the truck first and these were fine (you're in the clear Steve :lol::lol::lol:). It became clear that the wiring into the connector on the light units were wrong. Not the same error on both units but different on each.

After removing the pins from the connector I was able to change them round to the correct way.

5B945209-10FF-4A3A-BFC1-5DA17DB6AC39-1182-0000018F55B7A90A_zpsb14f8e90.jpg

I phoned Milners and in fairness they were brilliant, wanted to know what I'd found and what the fix was so I sent them the same photo which Stores are interested in seeing. They have made a note on my account so I'll get a nice big discount on my next order which was unexpected but a really nice gesture.

I'm delighted you had that response, Trevor & a promised discount. I had the same set of lights from them & it couldn't have been more different...
At the time I was in a time-limited situation & absolutely had to have the lights working so couldn't make the time to swap round the pins before the truck was needed so ended up drilling out the sheared studs on the original lights & bolting through the bumper cover with dome headed stainless set screws as a temp solution. At no time was I given the opportunity to work with them - was just told to box them for return & they'd go back into stores (may even have been the same ones) even after I explained that Mr T wasn't at fault on the original wiring & that they couldn't be sold as they were. Milners - great at taking your money - not so great when you politely ask for a refund...

Anyway, at least you got a result!

Got mine from Roughtrax and they just plugged straight in .

If anyone needs any I have a pair that are less than 6 months old.

Back