Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT fail on brake lines

Rob

Garage
So have had a call today from my local garage and the my truck failed on a rusted brake line:?. No idea where it is as all the guy on the phone said was that is was a rear brake line. Now either they are taking the piss or I have a rust problem that I should attend to. Anyone else had rusted brake line issues on an 80?

Last time I looked at the odometer it was north of 160k, so not a huge amount of miles, and its a 1997. If it were a 92 with 250k I would not be surprised.

that wouldn't suprise me, but up here in winter we are driving on roads covered in salt...

But other than that it was ok?
What did you do re the ABS?

Chris

Failed on ABS light and rear upper control arm bush as well. I knew it should fail on the bush but hoped they would not notice it. Told them new bush is on the passenger seat and I printed off the ABS section of the FSM and handed it to them with the keys saying this is what Toyota use so no excuses please.

If only I had more time...

Last edited:
You are entitled to ask to see their manual and exactly why they failed it. Rust may well be a matter of opinion but the more recent manuals have tried to rule this out as much as possible.

Frank

Think I will call them tomorrow morning to find out more about where the pipe has rusted. I hope they don't end up shortening the rubber bits.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive had cars and trucks in the past and present that have failed mots due to break pipes and been really pixxed off that they have failed. Its not been untill i have taken a few to bits and snapped a break pipe in my hand with no effort at all.Then i started thinking id rarther a pipe get noticed and fail than go down the road after passing a mot and doing some serious damage.

They have to cover themselves. There are rogue garages though as there is with any other trades.

I know it doesnt help you out Rob and i can imagine you pixxed but on the plus side better spotted now than in morocco mate.

Had them in the past rob where we have replaced lines front to back.I expect it will be the pipe that runs across the rear axle or near load sensor valve.

karl

the pipes across the back axle are a common fail and sometimes near the LSPV. The axle pipes are surprisingly cheap from the main stealer if you don't want to make some up. If the long pipes to the front are the problem then just put a joint each side of the rusty bit and replace just that section rather than the whole pipe. If they can't sort the ABS out then bring it to Lincomb and see if we can figure it out :icon-wink:

I was assisting an MOT examiner one day, turn the wheel, brake, handbrake, lights ect, all the things he wanted to check underneath, but couldn't by himself...............anyhow when it came to stomp the brakes, I did exactly that....and he shouted some obsenities......and my foot went to the floor.

Seems a brake pipe had some corrosion on it and burst as I hit the brake pedal.........better on the ramp than on the road.

I replaced both of the front flexible brake pipes near the disc this summer with some from milners.

at the mot my pal pointed out it would fail - the part from milners was a few degrees out on its bend compared to the toyota part and had worn through to the cords whilst rubbing on the hub as i turned the front wheels. it was on the underside and i had not seen the damage. was very happy he pointed it out to me. would have hated to have front brakes out of action given how powerful our handbrakes are.

you will find most cars that age will need brake pipes and a 4x4 like a landcruiser that will be used offroad and maybe putting boats in the water most of its life. end of the day they are made of steel not copper like the one's you make up.

It was a brake line on the rear axle. New copper pipe unlikely to rust:icon-biggrin:

Back