Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

Looks very nice Jon. Is that an AFN bumper? If so, I saw one on an 80 in Germany the other year and thought it looked very smart. Colour coding it will look excellent in my opinion.

Looks very nice Jon. Is that an AFN bumper? If so, I saw one on an 80 in Germany the other year and thought it looked very smart. Colour coding it will look excellent in my opinion.
Yes it is an AFN, it's the one that was on ebay recently that I posted a link to on here. Pure coincidence but I'd had a good look at the AFN bumpers at the 4x4 show just prior to that and liked what I saw. After it didn't sell on ebay for the 2nd time they accepted a cheeky offer from me :icon-cool: I will try it painted grey and see how it looks, I can always paint it black again if it's too smart in grey!

Just the rear bumper to stop tripping over now :whistle:

Last edited:
I can always find you a corner in my garage Jon. You know, just to keep it safe.

C

I like the form of this front bumper but it is quite a light weight bolt together design that would bend easier than I would like so I've added some extra structural support inside it this weekend, welded the bolt together bits and changed the recovery points for something a bit stronger :icon-cool: As I was destroying the paint job anyway I experimented with painting it in what was supposed to be a dark metallic grey but is really a dark silver. Not quite what I had in mind but it'll do till it has to come off again then I can try another colour.

IMAG1715.jpg

Last edited:
I am really like the bumper Jon. One thing I am unsure about is how are the stealth 37" tyres going to work?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Same photo with a crude mock up of a hoop which would make a handy place to stick an antenna :think:

IMAG1715.jpg

If you put on the hoop you'll need a winch you know - its the law ... Oh, ok - you do know :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This has been the view from my garage for the last week or so and I don't think I'll bother trying a hoop as I like it how it is but I think I've blown the stealth theme this last week or so

IMAG1763.jpg

I've been shopping for various exhaust bits for a few months

IMAG1594.jpg

Being a sucker for making work for myself I wanted to replace the OEM 'dump pipe' which is the casting off the back of the turbo that the OEM exhaust bolts to as the outlet is a bit smaller than 3" and it points the wrong way really for going inboard of the chassis

IMAG1723.jpg

I thought of buying a dump pipe but they only seem to be available in Oz and are really quite expensive so made my own. First proper bit of TIG I've done so not the prettiest but it should do :icon-cool:

IMAG1741.jpg

IMAG1736.jpg

This next one is looking up from inboard of the chassis and is where the down pipe ends up coming down through, all quite tight with not much room for maneuver.

IMAG1738.jpg

Then I made up sections of pipe - down pipe

IMAG1740.jpg

The pipe that wiggles past the transfer box (upside down in pic) which I wrapped to stop it cooking the box

IMAG1750.jpg

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1754.jpg

Then a silencer

IMAG1755.jpg

Then a run to get above the rear diff

IMAG1758.jpg

From above the rear diff down to behind the back wheel ish

IMAG1768.jpg

and the tail pipe

IMAG1771.jpg

I bought a 180 degree bend and 130 degree bend and cut sections from them to make most of the pipes, these were the building blocks

IMAG1769.jpg

I started off doing TIG but ran out of Argon so switched to MIG with stainless wire which worked well enough if a little messy but much much quicker than beginner TIG'ing!

Tonight I finally got to start it up and go for a drive ... sounds nice but a little bit too loud for my liking so maybe another small silencer in the tail pipe is needed.

Class job as always Jon. Easy to see why a shop bought one is the money that they are. There is more effort than people think in make a zorst tube. I can see me heading to the nearest pro shop for mine. Good start with the Tiggy Wig.

I was seriously tempted to just pay Pro Speed another visit but I really wanted a project that needed lots of TIG so it's ironic I ran out of gas and did most of it with the MIG after all! TIG is great, really liking that, but at my beginner speed uses at least 10 times as much gas as MIG from a bottle that probably has 10 times less volume than the one I use for MIG so it doesn't go far.

Need to have a crack at TIG but not got much on the launch pad at the moment. Need to make a new front bumper for the silver one this Summer, but I shall mig that. Might get a small inverter stick too. TIG is a dream at present I think.

I was going to make a new rear bumper for the next truck, but that old one of yours should be just fine. I can get it on the roof rack at Lincomb. It's only in your way. :lol:

Next one won't need a rear winch. And I have bought an ARB for the front.

C

that old one of yours should be just fine. I can get it on the roof rack at Lincomb. It's only in your way. :lol:
Next job on the list is to fit that rear bumper so it won't be in my way much longer :icon-biggrin:

when are the sliders and winch going on :icon-cool:
and of course chunky tyres?

I would never have the skill or patience to make an exhaust like that - impressive work

Back