Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

sounds like you had a good trip Jon :thumbup:

You can hardly see the 80 in the photo with tent up and awning deployed. It just got swollowed up :)

Very good trip. The tent caused a lot of interest, you'd think no one had seen a roof tent before :roll: or an electric fan, rigged to blow at us while we sat in the shade of the fox wing :mrgreen: it was very very hot ...

Mentioned in the who's doing what thread recently that I had a sheared stud in the passenger side swivel housing. I forgot to take a before sheared stud removal pic but here are the during and after pics I noticed were on my phone. Stick a nut over the stud, weld through the middle of the nut to weld nut and stud together, undo :icon-cool: Also started on a mkii Arduino gadget recently to go in this one.

Attachments

• IMAG1249.jpg
    IMAG1249.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG1250.jpg
    IMAG1250.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG1251.jpg
    IMAG1251.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMAG1272.jpg
    IMAG1272.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 236
Do I see my front diff on the bench?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

you do, ready and waiting for you to collect it that evening.

Had a fiddle this afternoon with the 12v starter I bought a while ago. The standard 24v start is great, till you have battery problems. Sometimes you can jump them with 12v but more often than not if one of the batteries has a fault then you need 2 12v jumps. It really doesn't need 24v start, 12v will do and that must be what Toyota figured out for the 100 series because they are all 12v start.

Spot the difference

IMAG1290.jpg

I fitted the 12v starter as a straight swap and then needed to stop it being given 24v which it wouldn't like very much. After consulting the EWD I think the best way to do that and keep unnecessary bits of trickery out of the loop is to disconnect the voltage change over timer relay and jump two of the connections to give the starter relay an earth when it needs it. The voltage change over timer relay is in the passenger footwell, tucked up above the diff lock relay. It's a bit of a fiddle to disconnect in situ but not too bad. The relay stays where it is, I just disconnected it. I then put a bit of wire from the white and red to the white and black wires. Now the voltage change over timer relay is out of action the voltage change over relay doesn't get powered but the starter relay will because of that jumpered connection.

IMAG1296.jpg

That is all I've changed on the wiring to have 12v start so very easily reversed should I find myself somewhere with starter problems and only a 24v replacement starter available...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jon where did you get the 12v starter from. I am tempted to do the swap and not sure which starter to use

the first OEM part number they list is right for the 80 series 12v starter but the 80 & 100 have a different number of teeth, different throw out, so I don't see how it can be for both. Ask them and if they say it is try it and prove me wrong, wouldn't be a first :icon-biggrin:

Got fed up with tripping over it in the garage so I've put the front bumper on. It's not a great picture and only a test fit really because I want to add a few extra strengtheners, probably change the recovery points, maybe add a hoop and possibly paint it dark grey when I've finished messing. Not sure about the hoop, quite like how simple/clean it is at the moment.

IMAG1700.jpg

Looks good as is Jon. No hoop - stealth mode is good, colour coded too

Something about your number plate John, is it originally an Irish reg or maybe IOM? The "I" was never used in the British reg system AFAIK.:think:

Lovely truck and I like the front bumper just as it is, ... Classic! :icon-wink:

Thanks for the comments guys. The reg is a NI plate Clive and was on the 80 when I bought it :icon-cool:

That was a hell of coincidence then! Is your middle name Ivan by chance? :lol:

I do hope that isnt a winch bumper Jon.... :whistle:

slippery slope!!:lol:

Back