Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

I had thought about a rear "shaded area".
In the end I bought a roll out awning, identical to this, mounting to the side.

[attachment=0:2f2l1d6a]Roll out awning.jpg[/attachment:2f2l1d6a]

I have the similar longer 4,5 meter one on the side of the caravan

Gra.

Attachments

• Roll out awning.jpg
    Roll out awning.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 373
I thought about putting a track down the side and across the back and doing something similar, moving the awning to where I want it, but it doesn't get you the same kind of coverage as the FoxWing which has been very useful at times.

That looks good that Jon :)

Nice and light, what size is the extension panel :?:

This is my version of the same thing it's a 1.8m x 2.4m £4.95 Tarp with a couple of £15 extending awning poles :)

P2190061.jpg

I also have a 2.4m x 3.0m one that I put up with three poles allowing me to pitch the front of my tent under cover :)

My m8 Giles has a 4.0m x 4.0m one that he pitches off of the rear of his Landy using extending pole made from 25 & 20mm Galv electrical conduit, but it's mega heavy :!:

P2190060.jpg

Like your one Jon :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Thanks Steven, it's 2.5 wide and about 2.4 deep. I have a couple of nice Tatonka tarps I've used for years before I got the previous FoxWing, I can't remember the exact sizes but the largest one they do, and a medium sized one and they have provided much needed shelter in some pretty horrible conditions, including making a shelter over Kieth when he broke his leg on Strata and it started p'ing it down! For laning type trips those are ideal because you can play with the configuration, sling them between trucks etc, not cry too much if they get damaged, but for more family orientated or 'expedition' trips I have found the FoxWing with some extension panels to use as wind blockers suits our needs much better which is why after very careful thought I've bought another one!

This is how Gav thinks a FoxWing is best used :lol:
[attachment=0:2kjq5ey7]WP_000146.jpg[/attachment:2kjq5ey7]

Attachments

• WP_000146.jpg
    WP_000146.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 332
Jon Wildsmith said:
This is how Gav thinks a FoxWing is best used :lol:
[attachment=0:3hrcln67]WP_000146.jpg[/attachment:3hrcln67]
Awesome Jay Dubbleyuh - keeping those bears at bay nicely!!! :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The weight is building up a bit as we get ready for a camping trip in the old bus and the air bags were up to 25psi (35psi is their max) so this evening I swapped the rear springs for some Milner +20% ones I picked up cheap on here. I put opposing front and rear wheels up on a ramp to help articulate the side I was working on and with the ARB and shocks disconnected was reminded how well an 80 can flex. The tyre is still quite firmly in touch with the ground but I had more than enough space at this to swap the spring over.
[attachment=1:2pp6b2kp]IMAG1151.jpg[/attachment:2pp6b2kp]
[attachment=0:2pp6b2kp]IMAG1152.jpg[/attachment:2pp6b2kp]
The Milner springs are 18mm od wire and iirc the OEM were 16 so I'd been worried they would be too stiff. Needn't have worried, they're only a little better than the standard springs so I'm glad they were cheap and they will still take some more of the load off the air bags.

Attachments

• IMAG1151.jpg
    IMAG1151.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG1152.jpg
    IMAG1152.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 211
I spy a new tent too :)
Is that a family model? edited :oops:

When did you get a double family Jon??? :lol:

Hoping to get a look at that sometime - wonder how many of my muggles I could get in it :think:

AndyCook said:
I spy a new tent too :)
Is that a double family model?
It's the 2m family one. We tested a few different widths and this seems about right for us although we started out looking for a 1.6 which would have fit but been a bit snug still. It has the jumbo fly tourer kit so the ladder is enclosed and gives the girls some privacy if we fit that.

Have you got any pics of it up JW? When are you off on your trip? Must be soon...

Gav Peter said:
When did you get a double family Jon??? :lol:
Depends how snug you want to be but easily 2 adults and 2 little ones up top and plenty of space down below for an extra couple of beds. Or 2 adults and one child up top if you like a bit more space around you like us :D

Gav Peter said:
Have you got any pics of it up JW? When are you off on your trip? Must be soon...
Not too long now ;) Haven't posted any pics yet, will do soon.

Jon,,,,,,,,,

I would like to know what you do for a job, as in "earning money" and how many hours a week do you work, because, I want a job like that too. :thumbup:

Gra.

AndyCook said:
has it got 2 ladders?
Yes, 2 ladders, side by side and two entrances. Inside is just one large 2mx2.4m bed :) We found the medium sized Maggiolina we tried (1.45m) much too small for 3 of us not to mention the climbing over each other to get in and out so this should fix that.

Graham said:
I would like to know what you do for a job, as in "earning money" and how many hours a week do you work, because, I want a job like that too. :thumbup:
It's the elves Graham, they sort it all out :lol:

Made a ladder to get on the roof today, just got to bolt it on tomorrow but time for a drink and a sit down for a bit now :) I was very pleasantly surprised how easy it is to climb up one of these, for some reason I thought it would be tricky but 3 steps and you're on the roof :D
[attachment=0:2hzqwsg5]IMAG1170.jpg[/attachment:2hzqwsg5]

Attachments

• IMAG1170.jpg
    IMAG1170.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 270
Jon Wildsmith said:
Made a ladder to get on the roof today, just got to bolt it on tomorrow but time for a drink and a sit down for a bit now :) I was very pleasantly surprised how easy it is to climb up one of these, for some reason I thought it would be tricky but 3 steps and you're on the roof :D
[attachment=0:72fwi314]IMAG1170.jpg[/attachment:72fwi314]
That first step's a bigun though :think: :lol:

Back