Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

Jon, another beautiful piece of work as always. But, I just don't get why you (as in anyone not just you) needs a ladder. You know me and gadgets, yes Sir. But a door ladder? To where? I am clearly missing something. Are you all planning to sleep on your roof rack? I have a roof tent and don't think a ladder on the rear door would help me in the slightest.

One valid answer and I shall be off into the workshop tonight. You know that.

Chris

Cossack said:
That first step's a bigun though :think: :lol:
Not when you're already standing on the bumper, it's an easy step up from there, much easier than stepping onto the top of the spare tyre which was the alternative :D

Chris said:
I just don't get why you (as in anyone not just you) needs a ladder.
I was told once I have bedding in the tent the best way to close it up properly is to sit on it while I do the straps up. Haven't had chance to try that yet but I do want to try keeping the add on room on top of the tent, spread out under the very generously sized cover, which will be a lot easier to organise from a ladder. Must admit I too wondered what the point of them was until I climbed onto the roof using the spare tyre a few times.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Cossack said:
That first step's a bigun though :think: :lol:
Not when you're already standing on the bumper, it's an easy step up from there, much easier than stepping onto the top of the spare tyre which was the alternative :D
Maybe for youngsters like you Jon, but my old bones are less flexible, now how to install an elevator :think:

The bottom step is quite low when standing on the bumper as I am in this picture, an easy step for me and I'm the one using it ;) Stepping on to the spare was more of a stretch than I was comfortable with to rely on as a method of getting up there every day for a couple of weeks...
[attachment=0:23jg9avp]IMAG1168.jpg[/attachment:23jg9avp]

Attachments

• IMAG1168.jpg
    IMAG1168.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 385
Great job, but enough teasing :naughty: Which metal, what gauge, what's the weight, etc. C'mon, I'm already in the truck on my way to the local fabricator....... :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That second picture displays the ladder much better Jon, another excellent job from the Wildsmith Workshop. :thumbup:

The main runners are 25mm diameter, 2mm wall. The steps are 30mmx15mmx1.5mm. Straps at the top and step end gussets are 25mmx3mm. Lower mounting bracket is 50x50x3 angle. It's 280mm wide. I'll put it on the scales before I bolt it on and post some more pics later but I'd estimate about 3kg.

Jon Wildsmith said:
The main runners are 25mm diameter, 2mm wall. The steps are 30mmx15mmx1.5mm. Straps at the top and step end gussets are 25mmx3mm. Lower mounting bracket is 50x50x3 angle. It's 280mm wide. I'll put it on the scales before I bolt it on and post some more pics later but I'd estimate about 3kg.
Steel? Ali? Platinum? Gold???

Mild steel and it is 3.5kg . I don't have the skills for an ali version yet but that would be even better.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk 2

Tx John, did you need to uprate your door struts to take the weight? If so, to what spec?

I'm taking your photos to my local fabricater tomorrow, and I'll post up anything useful.

Andrew Brierley said:
Tx John, did you need to uprate your door struts to take the weight? If so, to what spec?
No upgrade on mine. The tailgate doesn't open itself to max height it just stays where I put it, good enough for me for now as it's not falling on my head :lol: Here are some more pictures for you:
[attachment=3:8hkq9bcp]IMAG1171.jpg[/attachment:8hkq9bcp]
[attachment=2:8hkq9bcp]IMAG1172.jpg[/attachment:8hkq9bcp]
[attachment=1:8hkq9bcp]IMAG1177.jpg[/attachment:8hkq9bcp]
[attachment=0:8hkq9bcp]IMAG1180.jpg[/attachment:8hkq9bcp]
I've tried to get the right compromise between not wanting it to stick out too far and therefore get in the way of the FoxWing but still clear the rear wiper and be able to get your foot properly on the steps. The tubes finish quite close to the top of the window so they don't stick up too far and hit the edge of the tent. I closed off the ends of the steps with 25x3mm bar shaped to make small gussets to stiffen them up. The upper 2 steps I cut a tube width section out the back at an angle each side so they would sit at the right angle. Trickiest part was that each main runner starts at a slightly different height and angle because of the shape of the top of the door. Once that's resolved it's straight forward. Where I have chosen to bolt the bottom of mine on to the tailgate is double skinned so I've used rivnuts rather than a backing plate. I thought about making it clamp on only but wasn't entirely happy with just the top two mounts and that area of the tailgate taking all the load hence the bolting on at the bottom.

I've been up and down it a fair bit today and it works very well, very pleased with the function of it and it's very solid to use. For reference I'm about 14/15 stone ish :whistle:

Attachments

• IMAG1171.jpg
    IMAG1171.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG1172.jpg
    IMAG1172.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG1177.jpg
    IMAG1177.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG1180.jpg
    IMAG1180.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 243
Also been busy making a mkII tailgate table / extension :) Some metal tabs on the extension slot into recesses in the tailgate cover and bolting it to the wheel carrier locks it all in place and gives it a bit more support. Not very exciting but I find them useful.
[attachment=0:2o5ve5ot]IMAG1184.jpg[/attachment:2o5ve5ot]
[attachment=1:2o5ve5ot]IMAG1183.jpg[/attachment:2o5ve5ot]

Attachments

• IMAG1183.jpg
    IMAG1183.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG1184.jpg
    IMAG1184.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 248
Opened up the tent so I could check closing it up with the bedding in and sort out a mount for a 12v fan to keep us a bit cooler :)
[attachment=5:1lkddofg]IMAG1187.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
[attachment=4:1lkddofg]IMAG1189.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
[attachment=3:1lkddofg]IMAG1195.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
[attachment=2:1lkddofg]IMAG1196.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
Great little fan, really makes a difference.
[attachment=1:1lkddofg]IMAG1202.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
Power box I rigged up with a Maplin project box and some MudStuff sockets and light for a night light, plugs into the aux towing electrics socket.
[attachment=0:1lkddofg]IMAG1204.jpg[/attachment:1lkddofg]
The tent closed up fine with the duvet and 6 pillows inside and still had a gap between the mattress and base board so room to spare :D

Attachments

• IMAG1187.jpg
    IMAG1187.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG1189.jpg
    IMAG1189.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 239
  • IMAG1195.jpg
    IMAG1195.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG1196.jpg
    IMAG1196.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG1202.jpg
    IMAG1202.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG1204.jpg
    IMAG1204.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 246
I'm with Graham - neighbours will be wanting to see your planning permission for the new "house" :cool:

Looks very good!

Graham said:
Neighbours had enough Jon ? :lol: :lol:
Looks that way doesn't it :lol:

It's a very comfy tent, the extra 400mm were worth having :D

Back