Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

yes, aerial mount, thought I'd get that on before the winch blocked access seeing as I'm definately not having a hoop - mocked that up with some stainless tube and prefer it without.

The bumper looks good Jon. I like the stealth look which you managed retained even with the winch mounted. Still havent made up my mind whether to mount the winch behind the standard bumper or to change it for a winch bumper.

Thanks guys and you're welcome Marius. I think if you use the OEM bumper it would look good Reinhard, perhaps just using the OEM plastic as the skin of a tube bumper?

Just a 13 pin towing electrics socket added today, as the old 7 pin ones were tucked up behind the bumper since putting that on. Just terminated the existing cables in a water proof trailer wiring box and connected the 13 pin to that. Saves having two sockets getting wrecked and I have an adapter when I need to use it.

IMAG1943.jpg

Wanted to make use of the void in the drivers side rear wing where the OEM sub woofer used to go but anything behind that panel becomes a major PITA to get at once you fit drawers and load barriers etc so I made some boxes from thin aluminium sheet, riveted them to the panel with new cutouts and more aluminium sheet for covers.

IMAG1961.jpg

IMAG1964.jpg

IMAG1966.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
looks good - what will they be used for - if they are difficult to access with the load barrier and drawers fitted?

They are easy to access Andy, the difficulty is if you mount something behind that trim panel to use the space up, then it's hard to access, really needs the load barrier and drawer top removed to get the panel off and get at whatever is behind.

The covers have a tab at the bottom that hooks over the bottom edge of the hole, like the OEM cubby hole covers do, and some velcro up the sides holds them in place. The bigger cubby is more than big enough for a couple of 1ltr bottles of oil and some rags, which is what I'll probably keep in there.

I had my split charger in there until I hit a bank and bust it. So now there is just a fuse board in there instead. I can get to it through the speaker grille. There is good space in there and it's a shame to waste it. It can get a bit damp though so aluminium was a good call.

C

Mine doesn't get wet in there, I resealed the weather strip, the aluminium is easy to fold and not too heavy to hang off plastic though.

Could you post some more pictures of your rear bumper by any chance?
I looks like a good base to build some swing outs. Wanted to built my own rear bumper, but that takes a lot of time!

Thanks

Away at the moment but it has swingouts on it now so yes it makes a good base for that. The base bumper is a frogs island and they have / had a couple on ebay recently.

Not sure this helps much but it's the best angle I can get at the moment (if it works!)

uploadfromtaptalk1376741811471.jpg

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk 2

Might as well use up some free wifi

uploadfromtaptalk1376742487680.jpg

Jon did you make the swing out. if so what dod you use as i am not sure if i should use a oil light bush or the taper bearing i have in stock? I take it you are going to lincomb.
Stu

I made some taper bearing'd swivels, copies of the diy ones Slee used to sell, over engineered to look at but under a lot of stress with that wheel wobbling about over bumpy roads and smaller ones have been known to shear off just on uk roads. Will be at Lincomb if you want a closer look.

Thanks, it gets a lot of attention on all the camp sites we visit so roof tents are not as common knowledge as I thought.

IMAG2180.jpg

We pack a lot of gear into it to the point I can feel the drop in performance the extra weight causes but the 80 still keeps up with the motorway traffic, even the really twisty hilly motorways you get in Italy, Switzerland and south of France heading into Italy were no problem.

Yes, your 80 does look pretty awesome - even when I saw it, albeit briefly at the Aire del Rey services it certainly stood out from the crowd, even from a long way away

A 100 maybe bigger and more refined but the 80 somehow seems to have more "presence" IYKWIM. :)

Back