Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new Hilux.

Heres the good stuff:
3319dfa6ba1decc515e060696b5beca0.jpg

Guess what i'm doing this weekend!

There's some tape on the ground in the 2nd picture. Fortunately I saw the window tops :) hope it doesn't rain on you like it will in the Frozen bloody North

Mm mm toys
Looking good. I can see a benefit for my hilux having those wind deflectors, because when it's raining and I have rooftop tent on, the rain drips off tent into car when I open the back doors. I reckon those deflectors would force the drip to drip further out and fall outside car :)

Where did you get them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decided to fit the underbody kit today.

Its 3 parts, and way more protective than the original bits of tin.

Front section went on easily, fitted the centre and rear brackets on the crossmembers, and it went downhill from then on :)

The kit is for a 2007 onwards hilux, but onthe latest version the central crossmember has been moved about 5cm to allow a larger cat.

This means the centre and rear plates meet up in an unsupported location.

I got over it by drilling two new holes in the rear section, and then moved the centre section back to use the new holes.

This means the leading edge of the centre section no longer overlaps the front section - fortunately there is another pair of threaded holes in the crossmember which I used.

In order to do this I also had to drill new holes in the plate, which is where I messed up - i offered the plate up to the crossmember to measure the new holes, but when I drilled them I had the plate upside down, so holes in wrong place :(

I redid it 3 times before finally getting it right, the problem was compounded by the new cat - in order for the plate to not be in contact it needs to be slid over to the driver side as far as it will go, but didnt spot this until I thought Id finished!

And did I mention the rain.....proper storm, got soaked :o

I need to take the central plate off again and put a reinforcing plate over the leading edge as its much weakened, but once thats done all will be good.

Photos to follow.......

In the last photo the rear plate and the central plate can be seen overlapping by a good 10cm, you can see where the 'wings' overlap, which they shouldnt do.

You can also see how close the central section 'wing' is to the cat. I considered bending it back outwards, or possibly trimming an inch off the plate - good thing is though that the plate does stop the cat getting pinched!

Will aim for a photo of the front crossmember when it stops raining......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry its a bit blurred.....

The slot in the centre section should be underneath the silver bolt, but it doesnt reach cos the crossmember has moved back.

I intend to plate the bolts as at the moment the newly drilled holes (black bolts) are introducing a weakness - the plate could bent due to the slot and new hole being so closely located.

Pete

Just a suggestion while you've got your tools out , my underbody protection , which i assume is original Toyota because its plastic and i've never come across it on ebay or anywhere else ? , broke when i was winched out of a bog backwards and the overlap on yours served as a reminder . Maybe a couple of rivnuts at the join would safeguard against the same eventuality .

There are two 10mm bolts holding it in place on that crossmember so it wont pull off, maybe a strip of heavy duty duct tape across the gap will prevent it digging in.

What surprised me where the amount of unprotected wires and cables under the tub.

Mine is bolted in a similar way and didn't pull off i just lost the 2" overlap which must have folded back until it snapped , yours will obviously be a lot stronger than mine anyway , looks tough you just need to get in rough and test it now :icon-wink:

Nothing arrived today :(

Am awaiting the overhead console hopefully by next week.

The truck is def growing on me.

I think after a suspension swap it will be a bit smoother as well, and then the tabenreuther chip thingy......

Only difference I can spot is the fuel filler cap....:think:

Yep, changing from a left-hand thread to a right-hand thread on the cap was a difficult decision, but thats the sort of decision I eat for breakfast.....:whistle:

Pain that those bash plates didn't bolt on without some mods, I had to massage the front asfir plate I fitted to clear an aircon pipe, but the other plates fitted ok

I wasnt massively pleased, but all ok for now, will wait for some dry weather before I rejig the centre plate.

More goodies arrived today :)
b55e0a94280b6720389bc9ead9c60dc3.jpg

Overhead console, so I can fit cb etc.

Nice, you will need to attach the factory microphone circuit board inside that, for hands free kit, as its in the current console above mirror

What a faff !!

Theyve changed the kit and instructions to include the changes for handsfree, its simple enough, basically sticky velcro :)

The real pain was that the two 20mm screws for the rear fitting werent included, took me a while to realise the ines supplied were only 16mm.

All in place now though, and looks great.

Have to put some thought in to fitting a cb, aerial will be the issue as I dont want it on the roof.
80145e6e00fd8d28d28944700205ddbf.jpg

bcf69c9b5275147adbc3180074c01976.jpg

I'd love one of these, but have a sun roof which creates a problem.

Back