Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new Hilux.

Will try and find a standard truck to compare, but ground clearance under plate is now up from 200mm to 300mm, front is up from 850 to 920mm, rear from 890 to 940.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Took it offroad today, at David Bowyers site at Zeal Monachorum in Devon.

Very impressed, the pedders articulates really well and the tyres were faultless on the slippery mud.

Engine breaking downhill was good as well, better than the old Prado.

Some simple mods needed, remove the drivers side step to match the nearside one removed by a rock.....also need to make a quick release for the rear mudflaps, so I can remove them when offroad, and also remove the towbar drag anchor! Would like to replace that with a hoop that bolts to the rear under-run bar.

No more lifting for me. Just yet.......

I had to use the hairdrier on the front mudflaps to bend them slighlty as they were rubbing a fraction on lock, all seems fine now.

hiya

how are the Hilux's off road? I read the invincible models don't have the rear diff lock, do they come with A-trac?

thanks
Russ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Russ

Doesnt come with a manual rear diff - it has an auto one instead, bit like a lsd but mechanical.

Offroad was better than I though it would be, but still needs a few tweeks, the towbar was a big problem, it also has a rear underrun bar that can be removed.

Not as comfy as the prado though!

The Hilux has traction control, a computer applys the brakes on spinning wheel

Not yet.....sort of ran out of money to spend on it!

next will be a steibauer chip and remap to improve performance, it does have distinct flat spots.

roofrack on the list, waiting on reviews of an affordable expedition rack from a Polish company.

As it stands its pretty much as I need it for the travelling I do :)

Pete

Look forward to seeing it, I assume you'll be bringing it ?

Yes, it will be there, alternative is wifes Evoque :)

Yours the new model then Johny?

Hi
I have had CRV's for 8 years and they are fab, in snow/gentle stuff etc

I have bought the same as you, 3l Auto in Black, last of the old models with 3 miles on it, pre-reg

There were very few around, literally none in UK now and Toyota won't release it, from the compound until October 1st - so I have to wait

Got a cracking discount, too................my philosophy with vehicles is always buy the very last of the outgoing model as must stuff has been fixed or revised and the manufacturer is knocking off big amounts to make way for the new model range

Did that with my 2012 CRV and love it

I've had a D4D Hiace for the last 14 years and it's been ace

They were very competitively priced, cheaper than all the other main models. Odd to find Toyota the cheapest.

There is a good range of goodies available as well, just not the ££ to pay for them :)

My mate bought the X edition and tbh I think its pants, lots of tacky plastic stuck on to clear stock.

They were very competitively priced, cheaper than all the other main models. Odd to find Toyota the cheapest.

There is a good range of goodies available as well, just not the ££ to pay for them :)

My mate bought the X edition and tbh I think its pants, lots of tacky plastic stuck on to clear stock.

Yep didn't like the X.....two tone leather ..yuk

Pity mine doesn't have leather, but beggars couldn't be choosers..........I think I have literally the very last of the old model Invincible

I got a very good deal, so very happy...............can't wait

Think I will fit a Carryboy canopy .............unless I go for an Alucab

Managed to get a spare set of nearly new 17" Invincible wheels, plus Duellers with 8mm on them for a bargain price locally and I'll run them over winter, then swap to my 'still new' wheels in summer and put some AT on the old wheels when worn out

Good to see another new Hilux owner coming our way.
Will be interested to hear how you get on with steinbauer chip Wobbly, I find the power Fine even when fully loaded, yes it could be faster with chip, but I don't want to meddle with engine, given the long trips we do, would always have a niggle regarding reliability , but steinbauer get good reviews and no scare stories, the £700 also puts me off

Duellers are dreadful, possibly worst tyres Ive ever had! 100% on road dry weather tyre :)

Steinbauer will be after 2nd anniversary, cant save at the mo cos keep going away!

I am coming round to idea of a steinbauer chip now, after another trip Away last week and some hills, so have been doing some research

Seems some have issues with it not working with cruise control, but I might be overcome by connecting the chip to a different feed wire

My Hilux is out of warranty in November, so might go for it.
I was reading on new Hilux Ozzie forum about the chip, seems there is also a hks chip. But they definitely say avoid the cheaper options that bump up. The rail pressure.

And with hpoc discount the steinbauer can be bought for less than 700

Back