• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our local brewery worked out how much more beer they could ship if they used cans instead of bottles - the weight saving over a pallet was quite considerable, and also packed smaller.

On a similar vein, wine in a box and goon sack is lighter than the glass bottles to carry the same amount...

Jeez, Lazz - just read your site updates - what an absolute nightmare. Glad you are getting things back on track now.

Whilst the mock up in the vid appears to be sound engineering, was a ram operated pivoting lift/securing cradle considered Lazz?
It would do away with the need for those heavy vertical control stanchions and thus a fair chunk of the additional weight, and reduce the action to one rotating function instead of the two separate (vertical & horizontal) functions proposed. Radial forces are often much easier to deal with lighter gauge components than those necessary to deal with the combined leverage forces created during separate vertical & horizontal movements.
Please don’t take this the wrong way, the whole project is stunning, just trying to offer a constructive thought process.

Clive, I'm no snowflake boet, I welcome any input.
The 5 issues to had to solve:

To limit rear overhang on box.
How to get motorbike in/out the garage. (150kg)
How to get spare tyres on/off rear door.(100kg each)
How to lift garage door with weight of tyres. (300kg)
How to seal the rear door from dust.

I didn't want the bike and tyres stored on a platform outside on a chassis-mounted hydraulic lift.(overhang)
So a slide out drop down as per video, addresses all of these. The weight of a ram, pivoting hydraulic lift, is circa 500kg and doesn't solve the issues above.

The total weight of the current design including all the hydraulics and rams is ~600kg. So very little in the overall weight, compared to the pivot chassis system. The problem is not the mechanism, as any mechanism would have added 500+kg. It was the decision to carry a motorbike on the truck. That one decision has created an extra 750kg payload.

I don't have a problem with weight limit, as the truck's GVM is 18,000kg. All up, I'm now close to 11.5t.

If you've got a design that can accomplish all that then I'd be delighted to hear.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I see K2 have gone into liquidation...
Doesn’t surprise me given the catalogue of errors and incompetence in this build. Really sorry to read this Lazz but pleased you’ve now moved on and clearly found someone capable of completing the build. It is unfortunate that there are people that purport to be experts in their field that clearly make a hash of things by operating way outside their capabilities.

May your troubles be over.

As it's in the public domain... Yep they have as a result of my legal action. I had little choice in order to recover money from them.

Fair enough, Lazz. Good luck with the rest of the build. Look forward to seeing the finished product! :)

Clive, I'm no snowflake boet, I welcome any input.
The 5 issues to had to solve:

To limit rear overhang on box.
How to get motorbike in/out the garage. (150kg)
How to get spare tyres on/off rear door.(100kg each)
How to lift garage door with weight of tyres. (300kg)
How to seal the rear door from dust.

I didn't want the bike and tyres stored on a platform outside on a chassis-mounted hydraulic lift.(overhang)
So a slide out drop down as per video, addresses all of these. The weight of a ram, pivoting hydraulic lift, is circa 500kg and doesn't solve the issues above.

The total weight of the current design including all the hydraulics and rams is ~600kg. So very little in the overall weight, compared to the pivot chassis system. The problem is not the mechanism, as any mechanism would have added 500+kg. It was the decision to carry a motorbike on the truck. That one decision has created an extra 750kg payload.

I don't have a problem with weight limit, as the truck's GVM is 18,000kg. All up, I'm now close to 11.5t.

If you've got a design that can accomplish all that then I'd be delighted to hear.

Erm, no.... in short :lol:
My idea would have only got the bike into the truck and supported it during transit.

Sorry for all the bother you’ve had Lazz, clearly you’re getting there :thumbup:

New entry step and Teak floor in. Bottom of the door frame, just another bit that was butchered by K2, but managed to salvage it.

48741613877_a9c9e80156_k.jpg

Bed base and frame now in; this time the correct size of 1.4m x 2.3m. It is also now the correct height, so when the mattress is fitted you can get access to the window lever. K2's version was only 1.1m x2.4 and the mattress was 6" over the bottom of the window, so you had to move the mattress to get at the window lever!:angry-screaming:

48741097713_1e3d70c2bc_k.jpg

Re-sited 55l LPG tank (Lavatory + Hob) now out of harms way and correctly fitted. Will have a cover plate to protect it from damage.

48741615257_c8ea16fba1_k.jpg

How the box should have been build the first time. Metal frame support to stop torsion twist and stress de-lamination. If the truck tips over it won't just collapse like wet cardboard now.

48741096073_8c6f8417c1_k.jpg

He knows his stuff does Ian. Getting there Lazz, getting there.

Yes I know with all the preplanning I should have though of this
With all the preplanning in the world you'll never think of everything. Nice detail.

Love the Teak floor/ entry step combo - looks fantastic.

@Olazz are you sure that the gas tank can be installed like that? I've just got a Gasit Tank to put on my truck which looks identical (albiet I can't see the valves etc in your photo) which says it needs to be installed the other way up due to the gas pick-up inside. I'm sure you've got all that checked and squared away but just thought i'd ask - it is gas after all!

Looking great

With all the preplanning in the world you'll never think of everything. Nice detail.

Love the Teak floor/ entry step combo - looks fantastic.

@Olazz are you sure that the gas tank can be installed like that? I've just got a Gasit Tank to put on my truck which looks identical (albiet I can't see the valves etc in your photo) which says it needs to be installed the other way up due to the gas pick-up inside. I'm sure you've got all that checked and squared away but just thought i'd ask - it is gas after all!

Looking great

Yes, loving the floor too. Good spot with the gas tank Nick. It will be installed hangars up. It was bolted that way for initial measurements and alignment with the rear chassis cross member( had to be moved) and a grey tank that will go underneath. It was simpler to line up sitting on the hangars.

The re positioned rear cross member.
48742319901_c5d7dfe937_z.jpg

I have deleted the post above as the text is automatically creating a hyperlink .... I have tried several times to delete and retype it, but every time I add a picture it also hyperlinks the text. There is no connection between the pictures and text, so I don't know what it's doing that.

Fed up with doing this, which is why I stopped updating here too often. I've ranted about this before . I've better things to do with my life than keep uploading content that doesn't work.....:rage: Grrrrrrrrrr

It's so often the little bit's you don't even notice the eat up the time and the money.. It's looking fab though. Are you planning a grand unveiling for all the club member to come and drool over it? Hahaha

Not sure about a grand unveiling Tim, it's not that grand! I will also rebook Devils pit, that I did last year, and people are welcome to come for the day and drive... better add, not my truck of course, but your own!
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/devils-pit-4x4-course.150898/

Last edited:
Clearly operator error. Hey you can't deny us the build story Lazz. We're all waiting eagerly.

Back