Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new purchase!

:dance::dance:

All the best with it :) Do some nice long drives and enjoy it now :)

Have now fitted a full set of Grabbet ATs :icon-biggrin:, was after the AT2s but they seem to be discontinued, spent last weekend also fitting my new Witter tow bar, that was fun re-tapping all the threaded holes in the chassis :shifty:
Towbar was £80 and is built very solid, came as a full kit from PJ Jones on eBay (still had to paint it again as i have loads of green Hammerite:icon-biggrin:).
Also looked at getting the dedicated witring loom from them at £120 but its now obselete so just out of interest i called Mr T and they can do it for £80 :icon-surprised:, so thats all fitted now, went in like a glove (and so it should!)
LC is running as sweet as a nut (with the exception of my turbo bearing that will be done before long!)

Just need snow and something to tow now!!!!

That's not bad. Having a look at his site he says they are type-approved as well which nice. No issues with insurance or MOT.

Finnaly got me booked in with Mr T mid Jan for my whining turbo that has plaugued my ears for too long, it was confirmed at the last engin out, the turbo shaft was very sloppy:thumbdown: and the best bit is its all coverd on my insurance policy :icon-biggrin:, never thought i would hear the day when i praise and insurance policy but my RAC one has paid for itself 5 times over already

I have just bought a 2004 KDJ120 LC5 and am just finding little problems too:wtf:

With your attitude towards all the problems you have had - you deserve a great trouble free 2015:handgestures-finge:.

Every problem you resolve leaves you with a better LC (and we get to learn from your endeavours:icon-biggrin:).

Best wishes for loads of trouble free motoring.

Peter

PS - So, how much did your good lady's advice save you overall? And how much for next years RAC policy?

Peter
Overall, and based on Mr T prices i think i have saved about £2.5k (policy was £400) to date, in Jan its going in for a new/re-manufactured turbo so you can add another £2k to that!
No idea on next years policy but its not due until July so i recon by then i should have found every fault going!!!

Just went out tonight to see a friend down a small track, and as predicted there was heavy snow! but that was not the problem, it was the tree that had fallen across the track :icon-biggrin: just love a minor problem, fortunately my mate had a chainsaw so we soon sorted that one out, the snow was just a pleasure to drive in!
IMG_20141226_215242.jpg
Simon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So my saga continues!
Got my LC back from Mr T. after having a brand new shiny turbo fitted courtesy of my RAC insurance policy:icon-biggrin:, it was bliss not to have that constant whine that i got from the old turbo (shot bearings although it hadn't given way!)
So i drive around with a big grin on my face for a few days, after finding one day there was a pool of oil underneath my LC :thumbdown:, thought i had seen the last of the leaks!!!!!!
When Mr T. had done the turbo i noticed that they had not changed the oil and filter (we seem to have built up a no trust relationship!) this had been part of the warranty as specified by Turbo Technics, so i made my usual post garage call to them and they promptly invited me down to have this rectified, they were not overly concerned as the oil and filter had recently been changed on its last visit a few months ago, it was a reasonable call and my warranty was with them and not Turbo Technics but i didnt want to take any chances (especially as it wasnt costing me!)
When i took it down on Friday i mentioned about the oil leak i had got mid week, some of it appeared to be from the turbo side but most from the near side, so we cleaned it up and had a look, coming right from the top on the nearside and it seemed to be above the cylinder head base and below the rocker cover!!!
Immediate thought was the aforementioned rocker cover had failed at another point, Mr T. offered to kindly take it in and try and sort it out but me being curious decided to set to at the weekend!!!
IMG_20150124_142314.jpg
I am sure some of you guys will have some words of wisdom along the way on this one as its my first time on manifold inlet!!!

Although the cylinder head gasket had a lot of oil on it there was also oil in the head blanking plugs, this suggested that the oil was coming from above the head gasket! a quick examination of the rocker cover had ruled that out and my last repair was holding fast:thumbup:
Stripped the manifold gasket off and as i did not have a spare i cleaned it all up (it seemed to be coated in some black looking Teflon coating tho9ught this was carbon deposits to start with, this was all breaking off), cleaned all the manifold and seating faces and re assembled using Hylomar to re seal.
IMG_20150124_151816.jpg

Was a bit apprehensive of stripping this down to start with but it one of those jobs once you have done it once the next time is easy! (hoping there will not be a next time), what i really like the most is that you only need a handful of tools!
Everything went back with no problems, all torqued up to Toyota specs, i know the manifold gasket should be replaced and i might be revisiting this if my job is not sufficient but i had to know how it all fits together!

The final part was to put the coolant back in so i filled the bottle up to the brim and still had half a bucket left!, decided to take a pipe off the radiator and got most of it in, this is where i got really stuck:think: ran the engine and everything was fine but the heater matrix was not circulating, so i removed pipes put more water in but nothing, i could feel cold spots on the matrix pipes that suggested an air lock, this went on for some time, then it clicked! the auxiliary water pump was not actually rotating therefore the water would not circulate!

So why was the pump not circulating i hear you ask! well i had to dig for this one, i could see the clutch had not engages (it works the same way as the air con pump) so i assumed electrical? had i disturbed something?

Back to the web, someone had suggested this pump is linked to the cold start button? couldn't see the logic of cold start that increases the revs to help warm the engine up being linked to the heater matrix? any suggestions? Well it is :icon-surprised:.
Turned on the cold start and the clutch engaged, cleared the airlock and heating came on as normal!

The only tricky bit was removing the last manifold nut closest to the bulkhead, very tight round the back needed the right extension bars and universal joint!

Regardless of all the pain this car has caused me i just love taking it to bits!:icon-biggrin:

goto admire your patience mate

i bought my 120 nearly 7 years ago with 11,000 miles on the clock,now about 80,000
and nothing has failed except the high beam light

i can accept that...:)

You're having a bit of fun with this! Hope this is now the last of it all! :thumbup:

The second water pump is indeed linked to the "power heat" button. When pumping it pumps the water around the exhaust manifold and then into the cab matrix. Gets super warm, super quick.
The pump will disengage when the temp comes up though so don't expect it to work all the time.

This beggars belief , would you mind telling us what sort of mileage your truck has done ?

I think I may have exploded long ago! Got to admire you staying power.....

You're having a bit of fun with this! Hope this is now the last of it all! :thumbup:

The second water pump is indeed linked to the "power heat" button. When pumping it pumps the water around the exhaust manifold and then into the cab matrix. Gets super warm, super quick.
The pump will disengage when the temp comes up though so don't expect it to work all the time.

Crispin

That explains it, couldnt work out what the connection was!

Thanks

Jeez that's scary as the mrs is making noises about a 120 .

Well its been a while since i updated and that's because its been running great :icon-biggrin:, so after 6 months of trouble free motoring i decided to plan a holiday to Scotland (just before the midges really set in!).
Removed rear and middle set of seats, very easy, packed up and off we went. No sooner had i got to just past Glasgow and the power steering packed up :icon-mad. Started failing on steady long curves then as they got tighter it tripped in, this was quite alarming as you are fighting to get round the long corner then all of a sudden it gives way and you swerve into the middle of the road, you then have another battle to get back on your side of the road! very surprised i was not pulled over, but then come to think of it i have just spent a week up there and only seen 1 village bobby.

Needless to say i managed to drive around all the small one lane roads with passing places but did get some serious shoulder ache. Now booked in with Mr T. and yes i am happy because its all covered on my platinum RAC policy, i am very surprised they have not been to see my new car yet as they have paid for most of it!! :dance: Best £400 i spent in my life! so far its been about a 15% return on investment!
To top it all they have just sent me a renewal through £300 but this has been downgraded to gold cover because apparently you can only get Platinum cover from the dealer who sells you the car (need to look into this one :think:) after looking through the policy it seems that the main difference is that in the Platinum they only list the exclusions but in the gold they list what is covered and to be honest with the same faults again they would all be covered on gold cover! So i will just sign on the dotted line :thumbup:.

Just out of interest for those perspective travelers, i inherited a Caranex (see pic below) that was brand new, not sure if anyone has come across this before? It is made to fit most 4x4s including Landcruisers (or so they say) my friend tried it on his Discovery and says it fitted perfectly, i did find it was a bit too short to accommodate the wide door on the LC and the roof rails presented a minor wind tunneling effect but besides that it worked reasonably well, allowing us to free stand the tent and just drive off to find some great roads for the day.

Very strangely the tent had been supplied without the seams sealed, and sure enough there was a tube of seam sealer in the box! We actually slept in the back of the car and it was quite comfortable and used the tent for kit and kitchen.

IMG_7888.JPG
Glen Brittle and no it wasn't raining!!!!
Anyone had any experience with anything similar?

Shame about the power steering fail

Lucky to have midge free camping at that site on Skye, I have been devoured by midges here several times....

I bought a caranex last month, not used it one a trip yet, but put it up twice to practice. The instructions say to point rear of car towards wind, that would lessen the billowing affect.
Didn't realise the seams are not sealed.... I had better get it out and apply that sealant.

I got it for using when too windy of foxwing awning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Simon,have you had a look at the AA mechanical breakdown cover,all I can say is it's paid for its self,new starter motor,new seals in the rear diff and transfer box which included new oil and loan car ford Galaxy for 3 days each time,and they also put a new alternator on my daughters Renault Clio.no mileage limit and only £35 excess.works out about £30 a month for me my wife and daughter on the policy and that's everything,might be worth a look buddy

Hi Simon,have you had a look at the AA mechanical breakdown cover,all I can say is it's paid for its self,new starter motor,new seals in the rear diff and transfer box which included new oil and loan car ford Galaxy for 3 days each time,and they also put a new alternator on my daughters Renault Clio.no mileage limit and only £35 excess.works out about £30 a month for me my wife and daughter on the policy and that's everything,might be worth a look buddy

Sag
Will have a look before i take the plunge, thanks for the
pointer

I bought a caranex last month, not used it one a trip yet, but put it up twice to practice. The instructions say to point rear of car towards wind, that would lessen the billowing affect.
Didn't realise the seams are not sealed.... I had better get it out and apply that sealant.

I got it for using when too windy of foxwing awning.

Andy

Know what you mean about the midges on Skye, i have had some bad episodes with them, you wouldn't think a few zillion tiny flies could drive you to the brink of sanity, well they can!!!
Did point the tent into the wind from the sea when we arrived but within 2hrs it had switched round!
Let me know what your tent seams look like as i cannot work out if my dad had specifically requested this not to be done for a reason that's beyond me?

Simon

Back