Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new purchase!

Yes, calipers seems to have been a bit of a Toyota Achilles heel. My fronts had to be redone: one was screwed beyond salvage. Wife's RAV was heading the same way. The piston are just not sealed properly around the rubber boots on early models. As Crispin says this probably over works the rears. Japs maybe don't appreciate the amount of salty rubbish they throw about in this part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, you can buy them individually. Can't do half's though.

Simon is our resident Toyota dealer. Does great prices on most things. See the servicing thread in Technical section for his details. Sorry, on phone so can't get the link.

Nice chap, will help out with what you need.

Well at long last my luck has run dry :violin:

Rear diff pinion bearings are grumbling! Looks like quite an interesting job so might need to do this one in a garage with the weather being a bit iffy!

Any words of wisdom from anyone who has tackled this?

Thanks
Simon

Well at long last my luck has run dry :violin:

Rear diff pinion bearings are grumbling! Looks like quite an interesting job so might need to do this one in a garage with the weather being a bit iffy!

Any words of wisdom from anyone who has tackled this?

Thanks
Simon

I've read this with interest. What a saga!

I've read this with interest. What a saga!

Ahhhh! but the strange thing is that besides the diff bearings and a CV boot it hasn't missed a beat!
Its very fuel thirsty but we are all allowed a mid life crisis!
Driven it to Cape Wrath twice, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and it just keeps plodding on, its unbelievable in the snow (although most of that is having good tyres!). I am happiest just lay under my Cruiser just keeping it up to spec!

My only regret is that i didn't do a write up on the rear diff bearings, it was a lot easier than i expected but had the use of my brothers garage!

Its just a big shame that diesels are getting such bad press these days :disrelieved:

Simon

Without Prejudice
Well my long run of trouble free motoring has reached an end :cry:
20180606_094303.jpg

Doesn't look like there would be a big mess from this but!
20180606_173611.jpg

this has bent the bottom pillar in by about 2" (about 50mm for all you young uns!) , while i am waiting for the insurance company to decide i am looking at options for repair.
As this is the door pillar i understand it has to be jigged to get it correct and the pillar will need to be cut out from the wing mirror and half way across the sill on the front door, wing is straight forward, windscreen may need to be removed!
It always comes after you have spent many weekends £££ getting everything right ready for my trip up Scotland!

Loathed to throw in the towel and not keen to get a replacement (better the devil you know!), know some very skill panel workers but dont know how big a job this is and is it worth it?

Has anyone ever tackled this kind of job?
Does anyone know what shape the door pillar repair section is?

As always any words of wisdom appreciated

Simon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Has the windscreen popped?

Doesn't look like it.

It's a big job but don't think you need to cut parts out.

I have fixed much worse then that before

Without Prejudice
Well my long run of trouble free motoring has reached an end :cry:
View attachment 145457

Doesn't look like there would be a big mess from this but!
View attachment 145458
this has bent the bottom pillar in by about 2" (about 50mm for all you young uns!) , while i am waiting for the insurance company to decide i am looking at options for repair.
As this is the door pillar i understand it has to be jigged to get it correct and the pillar will need to be cut out from the wing mirror and half way across the sill on the front door, wing is straight forward, windscreen may need to be removed!
It always comes after you have spent many weekends £££ getting everything right ready for my trip up Scotland!

Loathed to throw in the towel and not keen to get a replacement (better the devil you know!), know some very skill panel workers but dont know how big a job this is and is it worth it?

Has anyone ever tackled this kind of job?
Does anyone know what shape the door pillar repair section is?

As always any words of wisdom appreciated

Simon

That looks like damn bad luck. It will be interesting to see the cost of repair vs value of Cruiser. I'm interested as my LC120 is virtually the same as yours (even the tyres) although I have not has the same dramas as you.

Ouch !! thats dam right bad luck there Simon. It can always seem worst upfront hopefully be catered for to repair swiftly and get you back on the road.

Really sorry to see this has happened Simon. Bad at any point but when it’s prepared for a trip away that’s doubly bad.
Hope it’s soon sorted.

Thanks for all the support, pulled my finger out and now and going to start stripping it down this afternoon.

Priority 1: get it fit for my hols, should be able to pull the bottom door hinge out with sliding hammer, this will at least make the door fit correctly
Priority 2: see what insurance company come back with and repair depending on cost!

I never realized how much of a connection there is between man and machine!

Stumog: Regarding the window, it hasn't popped but to replace that section of pillar (if required) it will need to be removed, pic below shows my problem, door shunted back about 1/4" as well but will not close at top
20180606_173619.jpg

Will update as we go :dance:

Simon

Simon

That type of repair needs to be pushed from the inside. Or pulled with great force from outside. You will never straighten with a slide hammer.

Look at getting a porta Pac and leave the door in place.

Where are you based?

Could it be that the bottom hinge on the door has pushed in and rotated thus pushing the door backwards and inwards? Or is it actually the base of the A pillar as you suspect?

Really sorry to see your truck in this state, especially with a planned imminent trip :icon-cry:

It looks like the bottom hinge/pillar needs to come out a tad more.

Seriously, the guys in my local workshop (although a long drive) would have this as good as new in a couple of days for 100’s not 1,000’s.

They’d get the wing and door skin straight and I don’t think the screen would be affected because the top hinge/pillar looks to be in the right place.

Even the over-arch fender would probably remember its shape with the right heat treatment.

Is the floor-pan buckled much? Even that would pull out with a decent ram on the inside of the pillar.

Keep us updated, insurance is a big let-down these days IMO, they’re all too keen to write of vehicles that are easily and safely reparable.

Sorry for the delay in replying,
The saga so far is that on the Wed before my Scotland trip and after spending a day pulling things straight my insurance company have now written the car off as CAT S, they did however offer me a courtesy car until i returned from my holidays (last night!).
I ended up with their 'top of the range' Ford Edge! so i just wept, they didn't understand that a Ford Edge and a Landcruiser are NOT compatible or 'Like for Like' but they just didn't get it. So we crammed most of our kit in the car and managed to have a holiday that consisted of me spotting everyone in a Landcruiser rubbing salt in my wound and continually complaining about the lack of power and space (although there were a lot of other things about the car that i just didn't like) but still managed some good times.
Now back to reality with a bump, I had to take my car for a quote at a local garage, very nice people and very grounded, it turned out that the floor and inner pillar were also pushed in by quite a bit being the main cause of the write off, I suppose i could have argued with them and demanded a second opinion but then it roles on and having a car repaired CAT S can be tricky to sell on and also insure so i have waived it goodbye and now its time to move on.
Next car? I am convinced i need another Landcruiser regardless of fuel prices and all the bad press diesels get!
In the back of my head i hear a voice 'Winters Coming!' although you wouldn't know it with the recent temperatures! Better the devil you know, the insurance have made me a fair offer so i need to sort the payment and then look out for a replacement Landcruiser to lavish my affections on (good job my partner doesn't go on line!)

Watch this space

Simon

Good luck with the search Simon. Real shame about your truck but onwards and upwards as they say. Which model is Sir looking for next…hmmm? A 120, a Collie? Maybe a Hundee? An 80? Whatever you go for I’m certain you’ll CHECK FOR RUST UNDERNEATH…. :shock:

Pop up a ‘Wanted’ ad on here, you never know. I think there’s a pretty well set up 80 for sale on here if it hasn’t already gone.

Suit you Sir…

:)

It's probably too late to say it now but you will be amazed what you can do when you have nothing to lose .

This pushed the whole front end back 2 inches

33210-7a39b1bce98262c9b153c29078c1446f.jpg

There was no point in talking to insurers because i'd already spent the value of the truck again on it and so i got my farm jack out and winched the slam panel back into shape .

This is the only pic i have but the process was a lot more exhaustive than it might seem from the pic , the headlights were looking at each other and a new bonnet had no chance of sitting flush with trial and error i used all the bolt holes to fix a cut of box section steel (so i could attach my strap) and teased it back into shape . It's impossible to tell it happened now eve with the bonnet up .

33548-571a3a7208a2834c1f3ee783a927156f.jpg

Shayne

Looks like you had a great time with that one!
Would love the time and resources to be able to put it right :cry:
Simon

Sorry to hear about sad ending for your LC
Good luck with search for a replacement

Back