Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My solved problem, rear diff locker

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Had a go at rebuilding my rear diff locker on Sunday, cleaned up fine and inside wasn't that bad. With it in bits, I noticed a lot of galvanic corrosion between the steel motor cover (held on with 3 screws) and the actuator body. All I could do with it was clean it back to solid aluminium again and bridge the gap ive now created with gasket sealant.

With everything cleaned and greased, it went back on the car, with no joy. Tried plugging it onto the front and still nothing. Took the gears/springs out, but motor still didn't move.

Then last night (while falling asleep of all times) it occurred to me that ive tightened up the cover cap up hard onto the motor. Back home after work today, straight under the truck, loosened the screws, BAM it turns!

The gap in question is in green here. Because ive lost a few mm of aluminium, it closed up on the motor too much. So tomorrow I will go about making up a rubber gasket to open it up abit.

diff lock.JPG

Thought id throw in my 2p worth of experience. Cant find this problem/solution anywhere else.

Well done! It's surprising what comes to mind when you're sleeping or going to sleep. I've solved a few puzzlers that way before now! :icon-biggrin:

My my rear locker was not in too bad a shape when I got the car, but the front locker body had completely disintegrated! I got a replacement off Karl on here, sound bloke and should be the first choice for second hand 80 parts.

i wish I was in the UK, then I'd empty his yard! :lol:

Im considering a new actuator body, but if I sort this one I highly doubt I will :p

Im considering a new actuator body, but if I sort this one I highly doubt I will :p

I don't know prices of after market replacements, if they exist at all, but Mr T actuators are ludicrously expensive. I was quoted close to €1,000 for the front. Karl sorted me out of that nightmare :thumbup:

Would have thought some some plastic metal would sort your shrunken cover plate problem. A temporary paper gasket, brighten up the mating face and build it up.

You'd be able to replace the paper with some sealant and job done (maybe) :think:

Last edited:
Sound info Derek:thumbup:
You are one of the lucky ones by the sounds of it. Some of the lockers are that bad nothing at all can be done with them.
You could always use chemical metal to build it up if the sealant doesn't work.
If you end up needing a new one in the future I may have one in stock at the time.

There should be a rubber O ring/gasket there anyway. See the groove?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did mine recently and just had to restick two of the magnets. After reassembly, I ran a bead of tech 7 around the outside of the green line as a further precaution against water ingress.

You are extremely lucky to have been able to get those machine screws out without them snapping or the casting cracking. Well done! For those who have, the magnets usually fall out at that point too.

Last edited:
You are extremely lucky to have been able to get those machine screws out with them snapping or the casting cracking. Well done! For those who have, the magnets usually fall out at that point too.

My tip for jobs like this is to attack every screw/bolt as if it was seized, before you know its seized. Don't even try to undo it as you will either round it for snap it.

I use a blow torch and plenty of duck oil, then give it a few taps with a hammer to shock it. If it does round/snap, file the sides flat and grip up some vice grips as hard as you can on it. Replace every possible screw/bolt when rebuilding.

Agree. For anything tricky, I work out a recovery plan in advance - where possible. Plan on it going wrong. Hope it goes right. Like I said recently, you only ever get one first chance. Everything after that is a bonus.

Chris if you like you can send me a drawing/tracing/template type thing I can profile a gasket out of 2mm ali or steel ,if any help:icon-idea:

Cheers Pete. Very kind. But it might be more use to Derek? :whistle:

ooops sorry im kinda sleeping at the keyboard here -Derek the offer stands ,now im off to sleep talk to you tomorrow

ooops sorry im kinda sleeping at the keyboard here -Derek the offer stands ,now im off to sleep talk to you tomorrow

Its alright ive got something.

Can anyone assist on how much the rod has to stick out from the actuator? I know I should have measured it first :icon-rolleyes:

Back