Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New and looking

Grantw17

Country Flag
wales
Hi all , new to the forum . Currently own a 95 series and looking to upgrade to an 80 . My search started a few months ago when my budget seemed to be reasonable (12k) after being messed around a few times , I took a break from looking . Back at it and all of a sudden it seems like my budget is useless haha . If anyone is selling a decent 80 series that’s not crazy money , I’d be happy to take a look .
Thanks
Grant

Welcome ! Good to see you found us after Chris directed you here on your FB overland post.
this is the place to be for landcruisers :)

Welcome Grant, glad you made it. Hopefully we can help you find one. Just so that you know, we are a friendly and honourable bunch here. If you spot something and mention it, there is very little chance that someone will steal it from under your nose. People are sometimes reluctant to post what they've seen. We are a pretty trustworthy bunch.

I'm personally very pleased that you acknowledge that an 80 is an upgrade from a 95 :tearsofjoy:

Took me 5 very long years to find my 80..if that's any consolation...and through this Land cruiser portal.

I think there is only One Diesel 80 on ebay at the moment, And nothing on Facebook Marketplace.... Just goes to show how the market is, About a month ago i counted Eleven 80's on ebay....... A 1997 24 valve 80 just fetched £6200 on ebay bids. It had over 300,000 on the clock and was rough as hell and well used... It has been said Many times, That Prices vary Dramatically .... So if you see a decent one at decent money "Grab it quick"..... Good Luck Grant

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's important not to limit your options. We get people join looking for a 1994, auto, in green, less than 200k miles, no more than 3 owners, beige interior, VX spec, BFG tyres, no rust etc etc. Well they're chasing a unicorn.

I'd start with looking for a decent 80. That's the top line. I appreciate you said you wanted a manual. This has been debated endlessly on here and frankly there's never been a winner. I have had both manuals and autos and it makes very little difference if any. I might go for a manual in a classic Ferarri but changing gear in a 4.2 80 is frankly a bit of a chore. Autos are pretty bomb proof as we have proven over the years. The one Higgy pointed to is an auto, I wouldn't hesitate to have that. The defining factor on an 80 nowadays is condition, not transmission.

Of course if you want to hold out for a manual, that's fine, but if it's because you believe that an auto might be a poor choice, trust us; it's not.

Here's what an auto can do

Also seen this one but it’s out of my price range and corrosion issues on previous mot

Again, there isn't much to chose between the 12v and the 24v. I have had both. The best Landcruiser configuration out there in an 80 series is the one that you come across and say, hmm, that's in good nick. Very little rust, body decent and inside look half decent. That's the one that you slap the cash down on and drive away. It may sound flippant Grant, but it's the truth.

Very early 12v had smaller wheels and brakes, not many of those around now
Early mkII 12v manuals are a bit old and can have clunky boxes especially around 1st and 2nd again, not that many sold compared to the autos
Most mk11 12v autos are problem free
All UK 24v are manual but earlier ones can have a bit of a temperamental shift in lower gears but won't let go. Don't buy this 'very rare 24v manual' BS That does make us laugh.
Most 24v imports are auto but don't have the front and rear lockers but are in generally better condition
Many have never had any front diff maintenance and if they sound like an army Landrover at 50mph then the ring and pinion is stuffed but they will not let go on you.

You could take a wheel off, block three cylinders, remove the alternator, front prop and starter and they'd still get you home. They're like Rocky, they keep taking the hits and just keep going.
You can always try a stall test with the auto as a first inspection. The Collie has a common issue with the box and coolant mixing. The 80 doesn't tend to suffer with that same issue
If you get one with say 150k on the clock, the box should be like new. OK OK I wouldn't buy one from a plant hire company maybe, but if it's had a caravan on the back, it really doesn't count.

Grant, if it was me I'd have the 100 series over the 80 everyday. A lot more for a lot less and a decent MOT history. TBF you've come to the 80 party a little late, people who got them 4-5 years ago had a much bigger better choice and are hanging on to them. Most of this hyper inflation is caused by dealers chancing their arm with very high prices and everyone follows suit not to miss out.
There was a black 80 for sale in Newcastle very recently, a pal of mine went to see it yesterday and I quote
" I'm just on my way home from viewing the black one in Newcastle... rear quarters are completely rotten, wet floors throughout...no brakes. I thought if thats what you get for £7-8k now I'll do without"
The one I just sold ( 93 auto 150k 12 months MOT) was a bit scabby round the edges but drove very well had massive interest at £5k.
Chris's info is spot on, but there is increasing competition from dealers who can see a quick flip and are looking all the time.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure all on here will help as will I.

Can't argue with that at all.

have a look at the one in higgys link.
go with intent and the smell of cash, hes been messed about, thats worth a couple of Gs.
if its as described it will outlast any 100/200 series..

Same here Andy, and when Landcruisers are frequently referred to as J**ps. Can't even bring myself to type the word, haha. Dont these people know who makes what or what they have or are buying/selling ?

#####MONSTER TRUCK. AMAZON MANUAL RARE 80 SERIES####

ive got a rare manual 80 series amazon jeep for sale with the legendary 4.5 diesel, age related marks, just been under sealed with a gallon of black gunk, me mate dave from the garage opposite us has just put 12 months ticket on it. interior pics are just above the drivers seat side bolster so you dont see the 6" gash.
only 675000 miles, which as we all know is barely run in.
anyone reading this ad knows how legendary these vehicles are, so no time wasters, dont ask for underside pics, infact dont speak to me at all, as im a complete arrogant twat, and im doing you all a massive favour by offering this legendary rare manual 80 series amazon jeep up for sale. great investment opportunity.
taken in part ex from an old dear as her beloved husband recently passed away. owes me £4750 but im able to offer this rare investment opportunity for only £17995.99...

####NO TIME WASTERS!!!####

Last edited:
#####MONSTER TRUCK. AMAZON MANUAL RARE 80 SERIES####

ive got a rare manual 80 series amazon jeep for sale with the legendary 4.5 diesel, age related marks, just been under sealed with a gallon of black gunk, me mate dave from the garage opposite us has just put 12 months ticket on it. interior pics are just above the drivers seat side bolster so you dont see the 6" gash.
only 675000 miles, which as we all know is barely run in.
anyone reading this ad knows how legendary these vehicles are, so no time wasters, dont ask for underside pics, infact dont speak to me at all, as im a complete arrogant twat, and im doing you all a massive favour by offering this legendary rare manual 80 series amazon jeep up for sale. great investment opportunity.
took in part ex from an old dear as her beloved husband recently passed away. owes me £4750 but im able to offer this rare investment opportunity for only £17995.99...

####NO TIME WASTERS!!!####

Said the "KING"

Hi and welcome,
Just to throw it out there, don't discount a petrol, often lower miles etc. Depending on what your intended use is.

Back