Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Colorado first problem

Fred Carruthers

Country Flag
scotland
Last week I became the proud owner of 2001 Colorado VX diesel. So far I am well impressed. However I'm having a problem with one of the keys. When I got it one locked/unlocked the doors and started the engine. However the other one had a flat battery. I have now replaced the battery and although the red LED flashes it fails to operate the locks. It does however start the car. Toyota tell me that it will be £50 plus VAT for half an hour's labour to recode the key, admittedly the guy was wearing a black cloak and a mask when he told me. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've tried various things I found on the interweb that involved anything from pressing both buttons to opening and closing doors and pressing the brake.

Thanks

Fred

Suggestions (found from internet):

Try this:

* Within 15 seconds, perform the following 3 steps:

1. All doors closed. Key not in cylinder
2. Insert already registered master key in the key cylinder
3. Turn ignition switch from the LOCK to ON position 5 times

* Within 20 seconds, Open and Close the driver's door 6 times

* Within 10 seconds, remove the master key from the key cylinder.

* Within 10 seconds, insert the key to be registered into the key cylinder

* Keep the ignition switch at the ON position for 60 seconds or more

* Remove key

* Open and Close the driver's door once

* End of procedure

Or this:

With at least one functional transmitter

1. Ensure door is open

2. Remove key from ignition

3. Lock the doors using the transmitter

4. Unlock the doors using the transmitter

5. Within 20 seconds of unlocking, insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn key from the "ACC position to the "ON" position 20 times - leaving the key in the "OFF" position after the 20th turn

6. The vehicle's indicators will flash 20 times to indicate successful entry

7. On the 20th flash of the indicators, press the button once on each transmitter

8. Once finished, turn the ignition key to the "ON" position to lock in and exit from the programming mode"

Thanks. I hadn't tried either of those suggestions before. I'm currently out of the country but will try them when I get home at the weekend.

Fred

Option 2

KZJ90 said:
Suggestions (found from internet):

Or this:

With at least one functional transmitter

1. Ensure door is open

2. Remove key from ignition

3. Lock the doors using the transmitter

4. Unlock the doors using the transmitter

5. Within 20 seconds of unlocking, insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn key from the "ACC position to the "ON" position 20 times - leaving the key in the "OFF" position after the 20th turn

6. The vehicle's indicators will flash 20 times to indicate successful entry

7. On the 20th flash of the indicators, press the button once on each transmitter

8. Once finished, turn the ignition key to the "ON" position to lock in and exit from the programming mode"

That won't work on mine, as the car won't lock unless all the doors are closed properly. :?

Usually pressing both buttons together for more than two seconds re-associates the key. Changing the battery should not need the chip recoding. It's simply lost its synch. I have heard of the other methods before and I frankly think it's a wind up. Do you have to do it in a graveyard at midnight with pink frilly panties on your head and your butt painted purple?

To recode a completely new key is less effort than that. You have to get to the alarm ECU, press the reset and whilst the LED is on, press the buttons on the key. I bought a key fob from ebay before they put the buttons on the key itself. I really can't see how it would be so complex to recode a key. Sounds like someone's idea for a new game show to me.

Chris

Chris said:
Do you have to do it in a graveyard at midnight with pink frilly panties on your head and your butt painted purple?
:lol: :lol:
Sounds like someone's idea for a new game show to me.
:lol: :lol:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I must admit I thought all the door opening and closing and pressing on brakes was a bit of a mickey take, but any port in a storm. I'm not home until Saturday afternoon when I will definitely try the frilly knickers and purple butt trick and once I've finished in the bedroom I'll try to reset the ECU. Do you know where the alarm ECU is located?

Fred

Ahh, well it can vary. But usually it's tie wrapped to one of the tubular braces behind the dash. You have to take the radio out and delve behind there. There is a small black box behind the knee panel by the steering wheel. This is NOT the alarm, it's the sensitivity control.

The procedure is on the 'other' landcruiser site somewhere under TVSS alarm. But I remember pushing in the reset and whilst the LED was on, pressing the lock button on the key fob I think. It wasn't tricky.

But I'm pretty sure that I had to do it in stockings and a gimp mask.

Chris

When I got mine, I had to do the two button trick after replacing the batteries on the existing fob (then strip it down and find out why the button was sticking in ;) )

When I bought a spare off of ebay, I had to do the TVSS process of find the box (behind radio bable tied to the bar., Pry the cover away (undid the one screw under the foam, but the other is a rivet so just pried it open) then press and hold the button to clear all remotes. and went through the process to re-sync both remotes.

Mine is a 98.

EE

Back