Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

new member & an easy question.. fog light

womble_

Country Flag
england
Hi

Just wanted to say hello to some UK 80 series owners. Glad to see I'm not the only one....
I am in the process of importing an HZJ80 GXL from Australia, after an overland trip. From what i can tell a rear fog light is mandatory for an MOT, so i'll need to wire one in.

Where is the rear fog light on a UK spec 80 series? Is it in the one of the rear light clusters?

thanks...

No there are two foglights mounted in the lower tailgate panel. For the UK you can fit a simple add on one bulted to the bottom of the rear bumper. It MUST be central or moved out to the driver's side ie nearest to the center of the road when viewed from behind.

Welcome along. We demand pictures as an entry fee by the way. :lol:

The interior switch has to be illuminated as well , MOT made me buy a new one for the Hummer .

Good point Shayne.

And of course it has to be red as well. The fog light. Not the switch.

Of course if your a 'Mr Picky' (like me) shine a torch on the dashboard and you will see there is a fog light symbol, find the right switch/connection and wire in there so it looks stock, search for 'Karl' for a switch.

regards

Dave

Cheers Dave.

I believe I have already had an email. No reply as of yet though. If you decide you need it womble give me a shout.

And welcome.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many thanks for all the advice. I'll grab a Ring Automotive RL014 from amazon, and hang it under the bumper i think.

Payment pictures here! womblingfree.co.uk
Blog2-3443.jpg

Karl- yes, that was me... I'm impressed you joined the dots. Will send you a reply shortly.

i got the fog light fitted and through the MOT.
in case it helps anyone else.

There is a wiring grommit in the rear right quarter that has access from the interior panel. from there i could run the positive to a generic switch on mounted below the radio. (Karl's OEM switch to be wired in later).
Power came off the the side lights at the fuse box. Earthed at the rear and switch light earth in the drivers foot well.

Most of the time was spent drilling out the mounting bolt as it sheared when i undid it and routing the cable behind all the panels.

Hi Womble, I too am new here and have had the Ring fog light suspended below the bumper since buying my HDJ81 in 2004. First venture off road neatly removed it but it was an easy replacement. Second trip off road also removed it so I got two LED trailer fog lights and fitted them to the lower tailgate similar to UK 80s. Will try and post a photo later. It wasn't too difficult to get the wiring through into the tailgate. The only mistake I made was to put them a tad too low so they just clip the bumper when the tailgate is lowered.

That is a top tip. I'd like to see a picture, i was reluctant to cut any holes though. I am hoping that mine will be at least in part protected by the tow bar mounting.

IMG_5086.JPG
I need to get in the tailgate and straighten it out at some point (as you can also seen the pic).
http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/tailgate.html

new member & an easy question.. fog light

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422464005.671978.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422464097.855164.jpg

It wasn't too much trouble to fix them. I used some self adhesive foam tape on the rear to take up any rounding of the panel and drilled the fixing holes before fitting nutserts (riv nuts or Avdels) in and took the wiring in through small holes in a blind 20mm grommet. I too was concerned about drilling but I bit the bullet and figured if I painted the metal around each of the holes with rust not primer it should stand a chance.

The lights came from EBay and are a little different to OEM size but for the difference in cost (I think £16 compared with £75 or so each) I was prepared to take the gamble.

Fitted crimp plugs to the wiring inside the lower tailgate and linked between.

I earned the nickname of 'foglight' from my local 4x4 response group which has now morphed into 'Foggy' due to lots of Richards in the group and the repeated surgical removal of my original fog light. :)

Richard

Last edited:
Back