Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

Dinner was not the highlight of the day!

What did you get for dinner ? :)
Steve, just let me say it was not the high point of my day.:eusa-shhh: Some sort of casserole with a couple of cheeses and tuna.:icon-eek: I sometimes miss the firehouse cooking!:think:

I have a one owner 74 FJ40. Took delivery of it on JUNE 2, 1974. In 1979 I put in a 1970 GMC small block. 350 CID. has a 3 speed trans so I was able to use a pretty basic Advance Adapters conversion kit that I Believe is still available. I used the weld in kit rather than the bolt in kit but both are good. with the bolt in kit you must use an electric fuel pump and also heat and bend the stick shift to avoid heater box interference.
That first small block lasted almost 35 years and I have just recently replaced it with a Chevrolet Performance 350 crate engine. 260 HP.
The old block wil be cleaned up and made into a coffee table for my office / den aka Top Gear.

Getting hard to find things going to have to take a break and clean the shop tomorrow. The front end is complete and the engine is back in. I rebuilt the alternator and installed and aligned the power steering pump this evening.
image (54).jpegimage (64).jpegimage (47).jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I cannot get over how solid and straight of a cruiser you started with... Awesome project :)
I was and am still amazed by the condition of this cruiser. As I said, I have been involved with Datsun's for 40 years, racing, owning etc... I was looking for a good Datsun Patrol when I ran across this Cruiser. I knew when I found it that I would not find a better example to start my project with. I will be posting more photos soon. Engine is now back in along with transfer case and transmission. I am taking a holiday break and a honey do list break (wife tired of being a garage widow). Will start back up soon.

Found some time to work of FJ today.

Media blasted parts for 6 hours today.:wtf: This represents the final parts for power coat.:dance: I will drop them off tomorrow. Valve cover, tie rods, flywheel covers, pedal assemblies, hood support, bell housing vent cover and fork boot retainer, etc..... I also cut the steering shaft to final length and installed the saginaw steering box for the final time. Ran Aeroquip power steering lines.:clap: I will get some photos of the progress soon. Happy Holidays!:music-rockon:

Did a 383 stroker sbc in my fj40. One of the best up grades i had ever done! Especially if you want to pull your boat with it and plan on being in the hills camping. Nothing against the factory straight 6. I also just prefer the sound of a throaty v-8! Have to put some pics up soon

Cold winter, not conducive to working on the FJ, even in my heated garage. I have began to work on it again and ran the new hard brake lines today.
Pics to come!

Mate i have to say i am very impressed with both the Rebuild and time taken to take pictures and write the story.:clap::clap: Also love the 240 Datto. :icon-cool::icon-cool:
I used to have a work mate who had a 240 Datsun and it went like a scalded cat.:icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin: Will follow this closely.:thumbup:

this is an amazing re build. Well done. Have you made any more progress since your last post? Cheers, Ash.

Some progress on the project this week. The frame is almost ready for the tub to be installed. The tub bottom was primed and black rhino-liner spayed as planned. The shop is color matching special rhino-liner for the interior this week as well. Then the tub will be painted back to original color with the new 2 step paint system. The frame wiring harness and fuel lines (powder coated) have been installed using the re-plated and rubber coated brackets and clips. I installed new KYB gas shocks and radiator. My best find of the week was a NOS Carburetor which I found in a warehouse in Chicago. I had to have it. The one thing I always fear in a carb rebuild is that you cannot make up for the shaft ware etc... Enjoy the photos and please excuse the dust on the project from sitting all winter.
image (14).jpegimage (15).jpegimage (16).jpegDSCN2333 (768x1024).jpgDSCN2328 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2334 (768x1024).jpgDSCN2329 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2336 (768x1024).jpg

Hi it's looking good keep the pics comeing I love the 40 :thumbup:From Tony.

Do you have a photo of the bottom of the windshield frame where the washer hose is located or is that for later models?

Worked all weekend to finish blasting and wire brushing all of the nuts, bolts, brackets, washers, etc... for the final run of zinc plating. Also finished getting all of the final parts ready for powder coat, will drop off tomorrow. The frame is ready for the body which should be under paint this or next week. Starting to prepare all of the small parts (interior parts, and outside mirror brackets) for factory pewter paint. Should all come together soon. I have a set of original wheels and hub caps to go back on. I do not believe that the current new TA's will fit the rims. $1,000 set of tires on a set of white wagon wheel rims anyone local who would be interested? They are 31-10.5/R15. I believe that the largest that I can fit on the stock rim are 30-9.5/R15.
IMG_0866 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0867 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0869 (1024x768).jpgimage (66).jpegimage (67).jpegimage (68).jpegimage (69).jpegimage (72).jpeg

Unbelievable build!!
Why did you brush all bolts, nuts and parts before getting it zinked?
I've done the same set of parts on my build, and 95% was completely cleaned and zinked afterwards. I brought them away the way the came of the car, rusty and dirty. Only on a few bolts there was some paint left, as the Acid does not get the paint off.
It must have taken you hours and hours wire brushing :shock:

Keep it up, impressive build!

Last edited:
Back