Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Universal Selling Rule!

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Having just read Chris's Insa for sale post, I think it would be a good idea to coin a two word term that can be applied when selling items on here...

You know, a term that means no p**s taking, no sniping remarks, no posting links to cheaper versions, no derisory comments, etc, etc....

That way we all get a "heads up" from the outset.

So suggestions then...I started so I'll suggest

Larrys Rule

When placed in an ad, everyone will then know whats required.

All suggestions welcome.

Good idea, however what is Larry's Rule?

How about, please read the ad and don't ask questions that are clearly answered in there already.
When selling an item, try to anticipate the sort of questions that people will most likely ask.

And maybe, if you have no interest in the item for sale, or nothing useful to add then shut the %$£* up.

Chris

Chris said:
And maybe, if you have no interest in the item for sale, or nothing useful to add then shut the %$£* up.
I am of the opinion that this should be enforced.

Rob said:
Good idea, however what is Larry's Rule?

When you post a for sale item, then just state "LARRYS RULE APPLIES".

One then doesn't have to say, please don't ask stupid questions, take the p**S, etc etc etc etc.

Capisce ?

Thanks for spelling it out for me :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You get people take the pxxs all the time anyway either on here or off here :thumbdown:

:think:
i thought that asking redundant questions was the norm for Forums?
:doh:

Larry's rule:

Larry's Rules:

•To a woman in an ice cream shop: "You're abusing your sampling privileges, one sample, two samples the most."
•To a woman walking her dog: "If you're going to have a dog, you have to have a bag. Because the dog without the bag-- it's incomplete."
•To his ex-wife's bald divorce lawyer: "We can't go up against each other, it's code. It's in the bald code."
•"Jews don't convert."
•"I don't subscribe to the wait for dessert rule before you leave a party."
•At a funeral: "It's a little early for burying, I don't like to bury before coffee."
•To Jeff: "She went over the appropriate amount of time that I can have human contact without getting aroused."

http://www.vulture.com/2011/09/larry_da ... ciety.html
:whistle:

Olazz said:
.... So suggestions then...I started so I'll suggest

Larrys Rule

When placed in an ad, everyone will then know whats required.
Yep sounds good to me :thumbup:

There's nothing worse than some smart arse saying, "you can get them cheaper from blahblah" :doh:

We're all big boys here and we don't need wrapping in cotton wool by the price police.

If someone has something for sale, and someone else is happy to pay the asking price, what has it got to do with anyone else :|

If Larrys Rule gets added to the bottom of an ad, then anything other than serious questions should be deleted from the thread :thumbup:

I understand the intention of this idea, but if someone posts up an ad for something that is a piece of crap, I rely on you lot to set me straight before I go and shell out my hard earned... Similarly, if I post up an ad for a bucket of Salisbury Plain mud at a silly price, I am more than happy to match any price you can get for the same mud elsewhere.

I think if someone is going to buy something then they will. If there going to just mess you around they still will. I deal with so many people who are comparing prices etc etc
I think Chris has the right idea. Cover everything in the ad and we know where we stand.
I personally wouldn't care if it says (whatever rule) on a add. I'd deal with the sale as I do any other.

Karl

fridayman said:
.... but if someone posts up an ad for something that is a piece of crap, I rely on you lot to set me straight before I go and shell out my hard earned...
Does your mum still make sure you have a clean hanky each morning when you go off to work?
;)

If someone is blatantly taking the pish when selling something then sure they need a 'slap down', but to deliberately try and mess someone's ad just because it can be brought 50p cheaper from a Chineese sweat shop off eBlag is really not fair game :doh:

There have been a few ads which have become discussions which is wrong. Ads get deleted automatically after a certain period, 30 or 60 days I think.

So the OP's idea is a good one and Chris states the obvious (no offence, but it is - describe what you're selling). A bit of banter is sometimes fun but if it causes the important bits of the ad to get lots in senseless noise, will be deleted.

Any ads which become discussions, as has happened, should get split off by one of the mods into a new discussion. We don't want to hold onto ads forever but at the same time, they often create talking points.

I think some are missing the point here.

I didn't suggest placing an non descriptive advert, with little information and then saying Larrys rule!.

I'm suggesting placing an advert as one would expect to see with as much info, but then to put people straight that it's a serious sell, then add at the top or bottom.. Larrys Rule!

People can still ask legitimate questions, but will stop the discussions that are off topic, p**S taking, derisory, or counter productive to the sale. Comments that we have all seen here before!

Simples.

Why not just lock each thread to the first post? Then all queries & offers must go by PM.

Let the OP edit their original post at any time, and so they can add info that might come up as a result of a PM.

Sometimes people don't intentionally aim to piss the seller off, it just happens. Its an open forum these things will inevitably occur.

I predict posts in future asking "Whats this Larry's Rule you're referring to? Oh and by the way, you can get this cheaper at Halfords"

Locking the tread down so the OP can reply only would work best, as they can then reply saying that the item is sold or if they choose bump the thread.

I think that might be a bit harsh because there are valid questions that can be asked. Bloody hell, the edit button gets enough excitement, imagine if I start locking threads? :lol:

Who buys off AVForums? (paging Tony....) Apparently they have a decent method.

IMO, if a seller puts up a add to sell something, unless you are actually interested then you should not post in the thread. I think its spoiling. Locking the thread etc is more work for mods that to be honest I am sure they have better things to do.

I have bought and sold stuff on AVForums and it works very well, but they have lots of rules! This helps in keeping it above board and clear and transparant. Main rules when buying and selling is that you have to state a price and you are not allowed to trade via pm, so everyting is on the thread. Also price comparisons are allowed, but not ebay. Down side is it needs to be massively moderated to keep everyone straight.

If you are bored take a look here at the rules

Not covinced it would work here though

Simple solution then.

Stick "Larrys Rules" on yer post!

Olazz said:
Simple solution then.

Stick "Larrys Rules" on yer post!
Yes, simple and effective.... it has worked on my site for the last 10 years.... we have Timmys Rule :thumbup: :D

Back