nice roof rack for 80 series

Good spot GB. Nice rack :whistle:

Now do I want that? Hmm. Nobody move. :lol:

Err nope.

Chris

It's mine! I'm having it !

:snooty:

Sorry, joke. I'm not interested......

No, I don't want it either, and honest injun, there'll be no sneaky bids at the end :naughty:

Those are not bad racks (had one on my old 80) but seems a bit pricey for what it is.

I have a similar on without the legs that sits on roof bars on my 90, It is solid to load and stand on but you should know that it is made of iron tube and bar and weighs some 30kgs - and that is before you put anything on it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's mine if anyone's interested, sold my 80 & don't have a use for it anymore.
Any questions just ask :)

I have an Aluminium rack for sale at a lot more than that one went for (although I am open to negotiation and I'm only 30 mins from you) - be aware though that steel racks are a lot heavier and do rot very quickly (unlike Aluminium) ....

Hi Matt
Thanks for the offer. I know alu is lighter, but I am just afraid that the welds are more brittle than steel and may crack especially on corrugated gravel roads. It is easier to find a bush mechanic who can weld steel than alu.

Just a matter of interest, how much lighter is a alu roof rack than a steel one? Back in the glory days when I was doing a lot of scuba diving the alu tanks were about as heavy as the steel tanks. This was because, although lighter, the alu tanks had to be thicker to withstand the pressure and actually ended up being larger as the same volume steel tanks.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms here.... :think:

Ive had no problems at all with my ALUMINIUM front runner rack with many thousands of Ks offroad accross the Libyan & Egyptian deserts, even extremely overloaded (Im talking of 320litres deisel + 80l water & numerous other stuff on it),

Actually on one trip another UK 80 with me, using a steel rack, similarly loaded, had problems with the rack bending in the middle

Andy

I'm have a mid 30's kg figure in the back of my mind for the aluminium racks like Front Runner etc? I'm guessing another 10kg for the heavy duty full length ARB steel racks or similar design? That's quite a lot of weight either way before you load it up with anything.

Back