Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nissan Patrol 4.2

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Does anyone have, or has had a Patrol Y60 4.2D?

Neighbour has a Highroof. Starts and drives. Rotten back wheel arches. Big Warn winch behind the front bumper. He's offered it to me for almost nothing as part payment for some kit he wants from me. I think they look great, and had mentioned to him a couple of years ago I'd like first refusal if it was going.

Can find very little UK info on these. The Nissan 4x4 club in the UK seems to hide all their posts, I think behind a paywall. Any pointers to parts other than Milners? Unless I slide underneath and chunks of chassis fall on me I think I'll give it a go. Something that can legally tow 3.5 tons would be useful to me.

If the Y60 is the blocky one, then I'm pretty certain it's the same as a GQ Patrol in Aus, in which case they're up there with an 80 or 60 series in terms of durability and longevity... share more in common with a 60 for iron oxide I'd say than an 80 series, and in some ways they're better and in others not as good.

Hope that helps,

Ed

I would like one so spent some time reading up on them and it seems to me they are strong in every way but prone to rust with a weaker chassis than a cruiser .

Hi Rob, sold me Y60 4.2 SWB about 3-4 months ago. Smooth but not powerful, sturdy things tbf axles very much so but very heavy. Known for wheel arch welding requirements, Chassis welding is common also as the material is only half as thick as an 80 chassis. I did a front axle rebuild on mine and bought parts from Milners, Nissan and our truck parts supplier ( motor factor ).
There is a following for the Y60's with the 4.2 but SWB's are more sought after.
The Troll is better than a 60 in a lot of ways but nowhere near an 80 in any dept.
Without seeing its condition it might fetch £700-£1000 depending on mileage, condition and work needed for a test.
I got £1500 for mine without test but it was black and had done only 88K to put it in to perspective. It's on the road now but turned out it needed a gearbox to cure jumping out of 3rd and 5th.
The Nissan 4x4 forum is mainly dedicated to Terrano owners with very little on the Y60 as they are such (relatively) rare things. ( there is a member on here who in the said club, as well as me)
Owt else just ask.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It looks just like this one, just tattier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol#/media/File:Nissan_Safari_Y60_003.JPG
I don't know if the Highroof was sold in UK. Could be a Japanese import. When I say next to nothing, I do mean it. I don't think it's had an MOT for 2 or 3 years. I drove it around the farm last summer. I'll pop over with my big rust detecting screwdriver after lambing is finished and make sure it doesn't look like too much of a time and money pit.

Plenty of those in the Middle East, the bedouins used to love them....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If its next to nothing it will fetch a bit purely cos its a 4.2. AFAIK the high roof ones are imports either from Japan or Aus.
There's just something about the proportions on a LWB Troll that does't please the eye in my opinion. I sold mine as I felt I wanted to drive an auto turbodiesel rather than a manual N/A diesel and there's something about how they are designed and built which misses the mark if you have a Landcruiser.

I'm with you on the auto TD. I just have better things to do than travel hundreds of miles to look at them. If a good 80 or 100 turned up near me I'd be looking at that instead. I'd only want it for towing 50-60 mile round trips maximum.

Not sure if i'm sad or glad i didn't know you were selling a black swb Andy i might have upset the mrs ..... again .

Mate I'm glad you didn't buy it, although it didn't do it with me it jumped out of 3rd and 5th, with selling the wheels separate and some if its kit as well it added up to quite a bit. Take it from me, there's no comparison with it to a Collie as a place to be in though.

Trolls are fairly common here, many more than 80s anyway. It's good to hear they're not on a par with the 80 because I've had the impression folks think them better for some unknown reason.

I think the axles and diffs may be more bomb-proof, but that's no good if you loose half the bodywork and chassis to dust every time you hit a bump :lol:

The Y60, or GQ as we refer to them, have a tough driveline but the body and fit and finish are standard poor Nissan.
The diffs are quite strong but their weak point is at the narrow neck at the back of the swivel hub, so they are prone to bending there and causing excessive negative camber. Plus the front wheel bearing spacing is too narrow and need regular attention, as this also causes cup wear on the king pin bearing.
The gearboxes are strong and the 4.2 diesel is essentially an old truck engine that will go forever. They perform well with some good tweaks and accessories. And that's where the good bits end.
The bodies are poorly built, the bonnets wobble around as if they're about to fall off, and the word ergonomics was never heard of when it comes to the interior. Overall styling was based around a tissue box.

So if you want a tough off roader that can take a hammering, without caring for the rest of it, then they are spot on. The comp scene here is full of them. Our 'play truck' is an ex-long wheel base model we cut up, ute'd it, slipped in a 5.0L V8 fuel injected rocket engine and a combined 8" lift. It's the one the UK boys took across the Simpson Desert the other year.

If you get one, keep it for towing or rock climbing, not for comfort or touring. :icon-biggrin:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Please stop , i have spent too much already making my truck less like a car and more like a tractor and i would very much like that engine .

" Very Interesting"

Rob, since there is plenty of interest on this thread how about a few pics of this potential tow tug? I for one would be interested.

Yes interesting, more IMO, due to the opinion there and how it conflicts so some extent with Chris' opinion, for example, and maybe others.

I was surprised when comparing the Nissan with the LC 80 series, the article sang the praises of the nissan's change to coil springs. All 80s are coils, but that didn't get a mention. Toyota "lost" that round, surprisingly.

Must be wrong then :lol:

I did like the last line though, "Oh and by the way, everyone knows that Holden make the best cars, the Beatles murder the Rolling Stones and that Pepsi tastes like fertiliser" it somehow put the whole article into perspective.

Last edited:
An icon of a bygone age whichever way you look at it , weak strong better or worse i very much doubt it would leave you stranded and facing a huge bill for someone to plug a computer into it because a tuppence worth of solder failed .

An icon of a bygone age whichever way you look at it , weak strong better or worse i very much doubt it would leave you stranded and facing a huge bill for someone to plug a computer into it because a tuppence worth of solder failed .

Absolutely, a toughie and rightly worthy.

We worry too much these days about heated ashtrays and executive drinks holders... IMO

Back