Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not starting

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi,

Could use some help!

Came back to parked truck and it wont start! Plenty of battery, its turning over fine but just isnt starting at all.

What can i check ? Need to get home and get the kids.

Kb

Had a quick brush around. With my limited knowledge on this feeling a bit lost.. but it seems there is no diesel coming out of the fuel filter..

There have been issues with the fuel filters on the 150 series so there is a starting point,I guess that the filters are much finer being a common rail system. My 100 series stopped on me but has been fine since with a change of fuel filter.
Does yours have a filter in the tank?

Good luck.

Had a similar problem on a 90 series – was running faultlessly then suddenly engine would turn but not start. Turned out to be the circuitry which recognises the chip in the ignition key had failed so the system didn’t allow the engine to fire – it’s part of the security.

Only solution for me was a replacement module from Toyota and then the module has to be reprogrammed for your specific keys. I found only Toyota could do the replacement, not too expensive as I remember, just a nightmare as had to be recovered to the dealer.

Best of luck – I hope your problem turns out to be different….

Last edited:
The only thing I can think it would be is the fuel cut off solenoid. I have no idea where that is on yours though.

The cause of it could very much be what Stuart has said above.

Fuel cut off solenoid will be on the pump somewhere so if nothing from the fuel filter, that is after the filter so probably not the issue here. How are you checking it? I'm not familiar with the truck but if there is a hand pump on the filter then does this lift fuel and become hard pumping?

Apologies for asking this but you have to start with the stupid things, has it got fuel? I mean has it actually got fuel and not that just the gauge shows it? Could try a length of hose from a can of diesel straight into the fuel filter but holding it and blanking off the tank pipe may be tricky and potentially dangerous if it tips over so I wouldn't suggest driving like that.

Check ALL your fuses.
Check for signs of fuel around the truck. Has it leaked fuel out somewhere? Has someone siphoned it?
Open the fuel filler and note any sucking sounds. Refit and see.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fuel cut off solenoid will be on the pump somewhere so if nothing from the fuel filter, that is after the filter so probably not the issue here. How are you checking it? I'm not familiar with the truck but if there is a hand pump on the filter then does this lift fuel and become hard pumping?

Apologies for asking this but you have to start with the stupid things, has it got fuel? I mean has it actually got fuel and not that just the gauge shows it? Could try a length of hose from a can of diesel straight into the fuel filter but holding it and blanking off the tank pipe may be tricky and potentially dangerous if it tips over so I wouldn't suggest driving like that.

Had a look around that, there was certainly fuel in there. btw, should there be a plug under the fuel tank to drain ? i failed to spot one on there today.

Check ALL your fuses.
Check for signs of fuel around the truck. Has it leaked fuel out somewhere? Has someone siphoned it?
Open the fuel filler and note any sucking sounds. Refit and see.

This is what led me to confirm the fuel filter was dead - something i didnt realise might happen so suddenly. There was fuel on the inlet, but nothing coming up on the other side; I even tried it with the outlet jubilee clip loosed up and slid the pipe down to the edge, nothing.

Got a ride back home, picked up the old fuel filter that was still sitting in the garage, went out to the truck and replaced it; almost unceremoniously the LC turned on the ignition and on the 4th turn fired up, humming along as if nothing had happened!

The failed filter is a roughtrax OE one that has had just under 3K miles of use.

I've now thrown in some redex, just in case. I mean, snake oil is always good for placebo isnt it ?

Thinking back, my last diesel topup was at BP, but the two before that were random places.

Might be worth taking a tin opener to that filter GoK.

oh the priming tab on top was pretty loose as well, didn't firm up at all, and i was unable to get fuel out of the outlet pumping that either ( but i didnt think it sucked enough to push outward, just pulled in enough to remove airlocks in side the filter itself ).

I guess it depends where it sucks from. If after the filter then it couldn't suck.

Thanks for all the help and pointers guys. I didnt get much time to investigate last evening and am on a flight in to the US this morning. Back on friday. Will poke this a bit more on the weekend.

my fix on the day was to replace the fuel filter with an older one that I had in the garage; since then I've replaced it with a new one from Mr.T

w.r.t the doggy filter, not sure what I'm looking at, but I did cut it up and it looked quite clean on the inside with no obvious blocks anywhere.

Back