Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not sure I can fix this. Any ideas?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Was having a great time off roading today, with Matt actually. Took him to the station at lunchtime and then when I got back it all started going wrong. First I pushed a tyre off the rim. But hey, stood in the middle, connected the airline and woof. It was back on again. Probably loads of mud in there now.

Then when showing a bunch of failed 'attempters' how I had been getting up this (very) steep bank I seemed to be struggling. In the end I backed off and found I was stuck. Everyone was very surprised actually. Even with all lockers in, I couldn't get out. Following a quick tug, I was on level ground. Very little drive. In mud, a 3t cruiser in rear wheel only is not very effective. I knew I had a CV on the way out, but it wasn't making any noises really. So I went back to camp, said goodbye and set off him with CD locked. Seemed alright. The a mile later there was a terrific graunching noise. I mean horrendous tortured metal. And juddering. I hate juddering. I stopped sort of at the side of the road. It wouldn't go any further. Sounded like driver's side. So corner up, wheel off, drive flange off and ...........

P1000711.jpg

Out came this bit jammed into the flange. Now I'm no expert, but I think this was probably the cause. I knocked it out, had a quick chat with Dr Jon, put the flange and cap back on and made it home with only a slight rattle as the end of the CV flobbled about in the hub. So time for some HDK's I think.

Chris

Nice work seeing that one off Chris; any idea what brand that is?

super glue is pretty good in many situations but I think it may struggle on this Chris :whistle: :whistle:

Chris, that's the down side of having such aggressive tyres as the insa turbos, something has to be the weakest link, even on a Land cruiser.

Still you'd be sat bored, twiddling your thumbs, if you didn't have something to fix!

V it out with a grinder and she'll weld up like a goodun' ;)

Chris, I do not know how you do it :D :lol: When I was running 35" tyres I use to use my locker on full lock and still nothing broke, even with £28 CVs. I must not be trying hard enought :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul I have managed to break a CV without lockers engaged on 33" ATs!

That looks painful Chris, would be good to find out what brand the CVs where.

Parked up for now. Busy. I will check it out. They were both on their way out and there was deff some slop in them. I think they got a bit of a twist in them when I gave it some beans.

Vee it? Good call!

Chris

Actually, I've just started learning how to stick weld... send the bit's down to me and I'll glue them together for you.... Mind you not sure I can guarantee that they will last even 10 yards... :lol:

Awesome. 10 is one better than 9. :clap:

Chris

I guess it means that the actual joint was probably fine after all. Oops.

C

I've seen plenty of those in the 50's. Especially Morris Minor's. If they broke half way down you could not get the diff out to remove the end. Simple solution in those days. Dozens in scrap yards so buy a complete axle for half a crown or a whole/replacement car needing a bit of welding for £4-10-6p !
No MOT in those days; just illegal to drive a car "in a dangerous condition", open to some interpretation.

Frank

Morris Minors, luv em, I have had five at one time or another, two convertibles, a four door, a two door and a Traveller that won second prize in a custom car competition at a Morris Minors Owners Club meeting in Bath :thumbup: , I still have the trophy here on my shelf :cool: , lowered suspension, telescopic shockers, anti tramp bars, Weber twin choke carb, four branch exhaust, (used to go like sh*t off a shovel) vinyl roof, sunroof and lots of other now unremembered mods;

MorrisMinorwinsaprize.jpg

They were so easy to work on. :thumbup: There was so much room under the bonnet you could almost fit a second engine in there, the reason for all that room? the original engine was going to be a horizontally opposed one aka VW, but was changed to the BMC A series, the original model name was going to be The Mosquito.
I still have a 1275cc A series engine from a MG Midget somewhere in my garage that I was going to fit in a Moggie but never got around to, there are also a lot of other bits and pieces for Moggies knocking about in there too.

Holy thread hijack Batman! :lol:

OT,

Chas why is your mate filling his tyres up with water? :? Smuggling moonshine?

Terrible things these brocken half shafts. Also had one on an LC so drove in 4wd but it mushroomed the end over at the diff and I could not then get it out of axle tube.

My traveller was green and had 6 gauges from an aircraft including air speed indicator,capillary oil and water temp and altimeter and oil pressure . Do you know Keith Young ?

Frank

But it's not a broken half shaft. It's the outer end of the CV in the hub. It came out with the drive flange.

Chas - stop with the sepia pictures already. Don't you dare show that one of you with Isambard KB when you were at the opening of St Pancras together!

Chris

Brett said:
Holy thread hijack Batman! :lol:
OT,
Chas why is your mate filling his tyres up with water? :? Smuggling moonshine?
He's no mate of mine, he was the one who came first in the comp :x

Chris said:
Chas - stop with the sepia pictures already. Don't you dare show that one of you with Isambard KB when you were at the opening of St Pancras together!Chris
Sorry Chris, but that pic was from the pre-digital days it's a scan of a hard copy photo

Back