Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OEM u joints

ajnabi

Country Flag
great_britain
Is there any current (cheaper) alternative to the dealers, for purchasing OEM u joints.
I read somewhere that u joints should be replaced in pairs, or was that a full set of 4, is this correct?

I had some serious vibrations on a recent outing, and have found some stiff u joints.
The joints were dry when I bought the truck, and were subsequently greased, but it seems the damage was already done.

I'm aware of Milners Toyo u joints, but am looking for a more permanent solution.

TIA
IQ

You can happily replace UJ's singly. The important part is making sure that you put the prop back together correctly so that it is in phase. One end of course is fixed directly to the shaft and the yoke will only go one way. But where there is a slide joint, the shaft needs to be marked so that it goes back together as it came apart. There are alternatives to the Milner ones which are good bearings but generally don't seem to have a very accessible greasing point. We don't seem to get through many on this forum, so we haven't really had long debates about them nor found a supplier. I'd Google the OEM part number and see what comes up. Black Widow did find some once for his Prado (Colorado) which I believe are the same.

Good luck. Make sure you grease these new ones!

Chris

Back