Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off Road ?

Pretty Good. Crispin and Gary stockton on here both had a 120 they used offroad.

Im yet to play in my 120. i was hoping for snow over winter to give it a try but nothing!! If you get one and want a play, the landcruiser club weekend is a good start, its a lincomb farm and you can pick your routes if you dont fancy damaging anything. i think the May meeting was cancelled, so the next one should be around sept/oct.

There will be limitations in standard trip in what they can do on tricky rocky trails, more likely to get some bumps underneath. Here is a trip report I did for a Lake District outing with a 90 and 2x 120 series, all had suspension lifts and underbody protection.

A Lake Land jaunt for a 90 and 120 twins
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47079

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must say I've been very impressed with mine this winter. Not proper off roading, but along some very muddy and wet farm tracks and fields with only standard road tyres. Only got stuck once, but though after a second go. Keep meaning to try something more challenging. As others have said some under body protection would be wise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You'll be surprised at the 120. Even in stock for it's very capable. So long as you've not on a flat, wet, gassy patch :(

With each mod that I did it got better but not orders of magnitude better. Less scratching underneath, slightly more clearance etc. Except the winch :D The winch made it unstoppable. So long as there was a tree or an 80 to hold on to :)

The stock tyres though are found wanting quick quickly in mud and flat grassy patches.

It's no soft-roader.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 120 is very standard except the AT tyres, absolutely brilliant in the snow!
Spent a day at Kirton Off Road Centre, brilliant fun but just stay out of the puddles!!!
Amazed at how well it manages just about anything!

I can attest to that. In the UK though, get a snorkel and check those diff breathers. And keep an eye on ground clearence on those lanes specially the middle hump. ...

Yup - ATRAC is very good except on flat grass

Don't even need a locker most of the time, if you use ATRAC properly it works incredibly well.

a rear locker on anything is far superior to ATRAC
watch a few comparisons on Aussie vids on youtube

i wouldn't buy any 4WD without a rear locker

a rear locker on anything is far superior to ATRAC
watch a few comparisons on Aussie vids on youtube

A locker is arguably better but - Systems like A-TRAC though are better than nothing, do a very good job and basically free for manufacturers as it's "just" software.

i wouldn't buy any 4WD without a rear locker
With the market going the way it is I wonder how long this will last? I suppose as long as there are diff and diff housings there will be companies making after market lockers.

Gary Stockton had a good solution on his LC5
buy an LC3 rear axle,or of course an after market locker

a cenre diff lock helps a bit and a front locker's nice to have
but a rear locker IMO is essential to real offroad

i'm amazed at what my 120 will do on 31'' A/T tyres
and a rear locker

Back