Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oh dear, engine woes.

Trevor

Country Flag
england
After fitting a new cambelt tensioner, inspecting and refitting the water pump I put everything back together. Turned the key and she fired, ran for 2 seconds and stalled. I distinctly heard some kind of ping noise and assume that something has gone terribly wrong.

I've now stomped inside, had a cuppa and am sulking big time. Before starting out I had turned the crank to line up all the timing marks before taking the cambelt off and made sure they were aligned when refitting. Tomorrow I plan to take all the pulleys off to get the timing cover off again but dread seeing either a snapped belt but am pretty sure the engine is buggered.

So assuming the worst, do I:-

A) strip the engine down and try and fix it - scary prospect as I've never tackled this before
B) get another 2-LT engine and weigh my one in
C) Try and find a 1KZT 3.0 and fit instead - don't have welding skills for new engine mounts

I would strip and inspect it

But if you can find one a 3.0l, its a better motor "they" all say, only having a 3.0l it's a great truck...

im sorry to hear that Trev. :(

did you follow any or the procedures in the factory service manual?

torque settings?

did you turn the engine over by hand using a socket and ratchet on the crank?

if your engine is indeed knackered, personally id go down the 3litre route. ;)

you will be amazed at how much difference it will make, that extra 600cc gives you so much more torque! :twisted:

it need not cost you much/anything. i made about £1200 profit after selling the rest of the 4-runner and weighting in what was left. :dance:

if you need a hand welding engine mounts, or with anything else, just give me a shout and i will come help you. :thumbup:

I have an engine crane you can borrow if it would help

Ben, Once I had exposed the timing belt, I put the crank bolt back in and turned using a socket and wrench so that all the timing marks lined up (I changed the belt last October and my Tippex marks were still clear to use). Had the tensioner and water pump out, refitted and had to use a socket to bring one of the pulleys (the one on the right) back in line as it moved a bit after the belt came off. So everything was just as it had been when I refitted the belt. Puzzled at the moment to what has happened, if the belt is okay then I think it's head off and look for bent valves initially but if that is the case then what is out of position and how?

Appreciate the welding offer, if I can find a 1KZT, bellhousing etc etc then would quite like to go down that route. Mrs Trev is convinced I've done this on purpose just to upgrade the engine.

Jon, the loan of the crane would be a great help so thanks for that.

So somehow before October, with no workshop facility, I may have to consider an engine swap. I've had bags of spare time this last year and typical that this has happened just before I start a new job.

I might bottle it and just get the valves replaced but we'll see. Now then, I wonder if Karl has a 1KZT knocking about at all :D

jeepmadmike said:
I would strip and inspect it

But if you can find one a 3.0l, its a better motor "they" all say, only having a 3.0l it's a great truck...
When my friend was in England, she bought a 1992 70 series, with a known head problem 2,4.
We bought it a manual one for some thing like £600, knowing we were going to engine transplant it.
We took it right up to Paul at West Coast 4x4
He put a 3.0L ex "Japan Surf import" engine into it.
He had it for a week.
After that it would tow a 2000kg caravan all too easily.
In hind sight, these 70 series should never have been produced with a 2,4L
The 3.0L is way way, better.
The total job was about £1400.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I remember that one, it was burgundy with big tyres?

The 78 is a great truck with the 3.0 fitted, mine had a 2.4 and it was asthmatic to say the least. I moved on to a KZJ95 'cos it was for sale at a great price, otherwise I would've found a KZJ78.

In relation to your timing belt being out - which would account for things coming in to contact - has the engine/head been skimmed at all previously? If not, one tooth shouldnt be fatal.

When you tried to restart it, did it rattle? Dont check it now though, just in case!

Pete

I've stripped it back to look at the timing belt, belt is a little loose compared to when I fitted it so can only guess it's been stretched. Either that or it was loose enough to have slipped when it was cranked over when starting. The camshaft cog is now 180 degrees and a couple of teeth from where it should be in relation to the timing marks.

My mate is coming over tomorrow night to have a look but I suppose that 180 degress out of whack means pistons touched valves in at least 2 cylinders, bracing myself for the bad news.

Wobbly, there was some sort of noise, hard to explain, not a bright metal pinging noise but a deeper knock right before she stalled.

The truck lives, after all my fears.

What had actually happened is the belt (most likely) had been sitting teeth on teeth under the crank pulley and on starting had slipped position by 3 until engaging. The tensioner had not been able to take up the subsequent slack.

Now comes the embarrasing bit, in my panic I had read the timing mark on the cam pulley is being 180 out. The timing mark is, of course at the 6 o' clock position and not the usual 12 o' clock as in a lot of other vehicles. Shows what being tired and overthinking the situation can do :oops: :oops: :oops: :doh:

So I took the belt off, refitted and double checked everything and readjusted the tensioner. She now runs as normal, one lesson learnt is I didn't crank the engine over a couple of cycles with a ratchet and socket as I may well have spotted the misalignment had I done so.

Thanks for the offers of assistance, Mrs Trev is happy that a 3.0 upgrade has been "postponed". Now she has used that word I think I'll take that as a green light for the future.

Emabarrasing as this is, I would far rather learn the lessons this way than have had an actual engine failure. So onward to the next chapter of learning.

Phew! what a relief that must have been Trevor. :thumbup:

Good morning Trev,

That's a great relief,
I bet you double checked, and double checked again, just to make sure the mark was out, and them by 180 deg.

Out by 180 isn't an issue, as there will still be no piston to valve contact.
I guess the more worrying aspect was the 3 slipped teeth.

Any belt damage? no corners damaged on the belt?

Gra.

A great escape! Not what you would have wanted as you start the new job!

Cheers

Glad all went well in the end Trevor. :thumbup: Made this mistake myself and was lucky it didnt damage valves too !

"one lesson learnt is I didn't crank the engine over a couple of cycles with a ratchet and socket as I may well have spotted the misalignment had I done so."

on the 3 timing belts I have changed, i have always done this, wasn't sure if it was really necessary, but now i see the advantage! so will continue to do so!

Back