Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil on rear brake

fridayman

Garage
Recently my truck (lwb Colorado) has started to occasionally pull to the right under braking. It looks like my rear axle might be leaking gear oil onto the left rear brake / brake guard which could explain this. What part has failed, and what parts will I need to fix this leak?

Typically it's an O ring on the rear hub.

Chris

The bearings are probably failing and letting the axle move about to the point oil can escape past the seals. It could be just the seal but you'll know when you take it off and wiggle the shaft about :)

Agree with Jon, but rear bearing failure on Collies is very rare. There was a recall on these so worth checking with your dealer.

Chris

Thanks guys. I'll look into the recall and see if mine was done.

Can I just pull the half shaft out, and then push it back in again? Or is there more to this than that?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a semi floater back axle so the whole hub assembly comes off with the shaft and the seals and bearings are pressed off the axle to replace them.

Out of interest does it look like this; viewtopic.php?f=43&p=56379#p56379

sae70 said:
....MOT on the 16th so decided to get on & sort hand brake out :D But found that the inside of the near side rear drum looks like this.

PA040663.jpg

PA040665.jpg

PA040664.jpg

What do we think of this then :? :?:

Here's a link to some piccys that Chris posted of his; viewtopic.php?f=14&p=370#p370

Chris said:
For those of you who have ever been curious (or simply have no friends) as to what's inside the big round thing under your vehicle, here's a few pics of the delights awaiting inside. Removing the rear diff on a 90 is not a particularly technical affair and actually only needs a handful of tools, but there can be some grunting and banging involved depending on how clagged up your axle actually is. This is not a diy guide to doing the job, just some pics.

Wheels off, 4 bolts out, brake hose off and disconnect handbrake. Slide this out carefully.
IMGP3862.jpg

Here's the end of the axle housing. Look out for the O ring on the end. - By now you will have realised that you should have drained the oil!
IMGP3863.jpg

Once you have taken the locker motor off, undone the bolts and removed the propshaft, you'll be left with a big hole. It's a handy place to store your diff in when not using it!
IMGP3861.jpg

Diff - minus the crown wheel
IMGP3858.jpg

Which looks like this:
IMGP3768.jpg

When you stick the half-shafts back in, they look like this
IMGP3864.jpg

Incidentally, when I sealed it up I didn't use the RTV sealant that I bought, I used the Toyota paper gasket and haven't lost a drop since. Mind you , I spent some time cleaning the mating faces first. JW did a fantastic job on rebuilding my diff and it's all running smoothly again now. Ready for the next Lincomb Farm

C

I haven't opened mine yet to take a look inside, but my disc guard is covered in oil with an oil drop hanging off the bottom. I'll have to leave it until next weekend to open it up and get a better look. Will find out if mine had the recall done and order an o-ring in the meantime (in case it is as easy as that).

Thanks for the link - very useful to know what's what before I start undoing things.

fridayman said:
...............................with an oil drop hanging off the bottom.................
Sounds like either axle/diff oil or brake fluid rather than bearing grease :think: Should be easy enough to tell between brake fluid or axle/diff oil :) Does it smell of cat pizz :?: :)

This morning I pulled the rear drive shaft out and it looks like it is not the o-ring that is leaking. Looks like it could be the outer seal (that site "outside" the bearing).

There was plenty of oil on the calliper, inside the brake disc, on the hand brake shoes, etc... but not a drop where the o-ring sits (if I had done this before I would have know without taking it apart).

Lots of oil in there:

SDC10539.jpg

The o-ring will be replaced anyway:

SDC10545.jpg

Where I think the leak is - this sits between the two hand brake shoes:

SDC10547.jpg

The inner seal that looks OK to my eye, although I have a replacement, so should I change it?

SDC10549.jpg

The loose axle (that top collar has to be chiselled off):

SDC10546.jpg

While I am up for having a go at most things, it looks like the bearing has to come off to get to the outer seal. I can't see how to get at it from the other side. Has anyone done this themselves? Or can you recommend someone in Surrey, Hampshire that could do this for me? I might take it to a Toyo garage and get them to do it, but I've read it is all the cars that had the recall done that are now leaking...

Mine looked just like yours. took it to Julian. when we got it apart, not easy and you need a press and tool to do it, we found that the bearing had been flushed by the oil and it was toast. You have to cut off the retaining collars and the abs ring then fit tool put in press and push the axel out . This was the first time he had done one like this and it did take some time. Give him a call he will tell you all about it.

munster said:
Mine looked just like yours. took it to Julian. when we got it apart, not easy and you need a press and tool to do it, we found that the bearing had been flushed by the oil and it was toast. You have to cut off the retaining collars and the abs ring then fit tool put in press and push the axel out . This was the first time he had done one like this and it did take some time. Give him a call he will tell you all about it.

Thanks. It's a half a day round trip and 3/4 tank of fuel up to Julien's, otherwise I'd definitely go see him. It looks like a Toyo dealer may be the best as I only have the first collar and not the abs ring (which I think is a Toyo only part anyway). I already have a replacement bearing (genuine Toyo from Roughtrax). This is my daily driver so need it going again asap.

Spoke to Toyota (Basingstoke) this morning and they won't do this job themselves. They contract it out to a transmission place. So I called the transmission place, who quoted me £260+VAT if I supply all the parts.

fridayman said:
quoted me £260+VAT if I supply all the parts.
:shock: Just to push the axle out the hub and back again? I'm in the wrong job!

Jon Wildsmith said:
fridayman said:
quoted me £260+VAT if I supply all the parts.
:shock: Just to push the axle out the hub and back again? I'm in the wrong job!

I started welling up when he told me :cry: However, I found a another transmission place right across the road from Guildford Toyota who will do the same job for £50+vat per hour, and the guy reckons it will take an hour :D

Got the axle back this evening. It took them 2 hours to do the job in the end (and 2 cutting disks). Oil was definitely getting past the inner seal and washing through the bearing. The bearing wasn't actually in bad shape. But the oil then also got past the outer seal which was covered in oily gunk on the wheel side. So glad I decided to go ahead and change the outer seal too. I will do the inner seal this weekend and put it all back together again.

Back