Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ok here is my photos of my 95

Honey Badger

Country Flag
wales
Pictures of my Colorado 95 I bought :icon-biggrin: not imagined :eusa-naughty: last week,
DSC_0073.jpg
Happy on the drive :icon-cool:
DSC_0074.jpg
Got to try and get the indicators in mirrors to work
DSC_0077.jpg
2'' inch lift
DSC_0078.jpg
The hole ready for a draw system
DSC_0079.jpg
big 3'' juicy full stainless exhaust sounding growly
DSC_0083.jpg
My sparkly engine,with new, radiator and intercooler,
2 batteries, glow plugs, hoses ,cables
DSC_0075.jpg
Mated to this engine is a brand new auto box from Toyota, still under warranty.
DSC_0076.jpg

Looks very tidy indeed I'm sure will enjoy her for years congrats :thumbup:

Wow, that is a stunning example, very nice indeed. Liking that a lot.

Wow :icon-cool: She is shiny! I shouldn't bring that to Lincomb :laughing-rolling:

Love the mirrors :thumbup: I've been looking for a way to mount the side repeater indicators on Swampy up into the mirrors for a modification that I have planned, but have not yet managed to track down the perfect indicator lens for the job despite having even bought a couple of different styles to try! Who'd of thought that there were an off the shelf item :icon-biggrin:

If that oil cooler in the second to last photo is cooling the oil for your brand new under warranty auto box I'd get it moved, changed or torn out and launched! That really is a remarkably familiar looking installation is that! Do you know who installed it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of interest what is wrong with the oil cooler being mounted in that position

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When I bought Swampy one of her previous owners had had exactly the same oil cooler mounted in exactly the same location in exactly the same way by a professional company. As it turned out when under load climbing hills in the welsh mountains (not off road) on warmer days the auto box would overheat with the ATF high temp light coming on. After much pondering and diagnosis it was concluded to be the poor mounting position of the oil cooler not allowing enough air flow through it! It should be hard up against the radiator mounted vertically with either the outlet at the bottom or the top (can't remember what way round it should be now)! There was also some discussion over the physical size of the unit and if it would actually provide enough cooling across its size. When measured I was getting between 5&7 degrees cooling from I/P to O/P you should be looking for at least 25 degrees or more to be of any use!! I ripped mine out and returned it to the OE set up and have had no trouble since despite some pretty hard use. I also adapted my driving style as a result of what was discussed at the time :)

Interesting that ,as yet I have not had a problem with overheating and I do a lot of welsh laneing.
I would have said it has got to be better than no oil cooler at all, I can see what you are saying about being in front of the rad so the fan draws air though it. All our tractor oil coolers are in front of the rad

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Amazing condition!

I cant see an intercooler on it though?

The swap to an external atf oil cooler is often discussed, but Ive never seen conclusive evidence either way - if its too small to achieve the temp drop then fit a bigger one - the original is in the bottom of the rad so if a manual (deeper fins) rad has been fitted it may not be a case of just reconnecting the pipes?

On the bottom inside face of the rad look for two outlets which will be capped off.

I'd see how it goes first though.

I've got the same indicator covers on my prado, yours is the first ive seen also with them fitted. Mine dont work, which makes me think they were a add-on to look better :)

Pete

I thought your cooler was fitted wItH the pipes coming in the bottom of the cooler Steven.
I was told to fit it so pipes come out top, to stop air locks.

I had the AT temp light come on in alps a couple time before I fitted a cooler. After that trip I flushed out the ATF fluid with new (even though the fluid had been changed a couple months earlier) and fitted the cooler. Never had the light come on after thaT and been had back to alps and morocco In the WUgg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive replies.
I have to say, the credit is to the previous two owners, especially the last one,who seemed to have an endless pocket,and also the mind set,it had to go to Toyota to be sorted.
It seems the day before he part exed it, he put it in to Toyota for a full service and valet.
For my part, as I posted a thread, ''thank you all'' as appreciation to all who have posted on this forum in the past, which help me steer a path,through the choosing of what I wanted and needed,after hours and hours of searching.
I know the 80 seems to be the di facto choice, but I really did not need it, I looked at some,but decided for me, the 95 was a better choice.
This one was on Ebay, in amongst a lot of rougher ones at similar price.
This 95 is for my fishing, I need the size,I got rid of a fairly new VWT5.
Through searching, I am aware of the problems with over heating these vehicles are prone to.
I have to admit after hours of searching and reading,I realise these vehicles are certainly not ''bomb proof'' but a different world to the Range Rover, Discovery 1 and 2 and also the 110 Defender I have had in the past.

SAE I appreciate what you are saying,and do understand, but as WOBBLY hassaid for now I am just going to suck and see, for a while keeping a beady eye on everything.
The intercooler apparently,if I have read my service history, was fitted by Toyota at the same time as the box.
I am about to send for a double digital temp read out,for engine and box.

The mirrors with indicators, are as pointed outcome from a PRADO apparently, although they don' seem to be wired up

Lincomb, sounds muddy, this 95 does not look as if its got muddy much, I might come and watch..
The hardest thing this will ever do is probably getting off the drive in the snow, I do live on the top of a mountain in Wales after all.

Here's a link to the thread that was generated following my experiences with that exact same oil cooler mounted in exactly the same location, it's worth a read as I had no idea about the subject of oil coolers before this came up with Swampy and a lot of very knowledgeable people have commented on the subject.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...ox-Separate-Inter-Cooler-do-they-really-work-!

It may be that they have installed your one in addition to the OE oil cooler, but it's still very poorly installed IMHO :icon-neutral:

Here's a couple of photos of mine how it looked before and after the thread :icon-smile:

IMG_8373_zpsed831a89.jpg

IMG_8374_zps8dc13484.jpg

IMG_8375_zps815e9f40.jpg

IMG_8383_zpsf286e21c.jpg

IMG_9939_zps6b40c84f.jpg

IMG_9940_zps68383c13.jpg

Looking back at the photos now yours is much higher than my one was and a good percentage of the air flow through yours will be getting blocked by slam panel behind it! I'm not trying to criticize here, but just cast a warning out to you. The rest of the truck looks awesome :icon-cool:

Last edited:
It may be that they have installed your one in addition to the OE oil cooler, but it's still very poorly installed IMHO :icon-neutral:

Here's a couple of photos of mine how it looked before and after the thread :icon-smile:

Looking back at the photos now yours is much higher than my one was and a good percentage of the air flow through yours will be getting blocked by slam panel behind it! I'm not trying to criticize here, but just cast a warning out to you. The rest of the truck looks awesome :icon-cool:[/QUOTE]

I really do not take it, as anything other than the urge to help, I will look into it.
It goes into the garage next week.
For my pockets, it's days of Toyota main dealers has ended,although I am a stitch in time,and regular maintenance and servicing type of owner.
The garage I use, is pretty knowledgeable, I will get them to look where, and what, it's actually connected to, and go from there.
Many thanks for your concern.Steve

I have a massive oil cooler, brand new in the garage - although (touching wood) I have had no overheating problems yet......Just as a good measure just in case type of thing, I have (having) the thermostat changed for a new, lower temperature opening one - [FONT=&quot]76 degree thermostat for the Colorado kzj 95 – part number [/FONT]

90916-03119
WAX TYPE (OPENING TEMPERATURE - FULLY OPEN TEMPERATURE)

I fitted a head temp gauge, so will be interested what it reads with the new stat in.... thats if the garage doesnt F**k anything else up! (trashed an air con pipe while replacing a damaged one last week) I will be glad to get mine back! 11 weeks without it now :(

Thats the best colour combo btw ;)

Steve,

My prado ones dont work either, maybe none of them do!!

There's def not an intercooler there - if you look at sae's engine you can see the horizontal rad sat on top, yours has the big black inlet pipe from the filter box to the turbo, then the alu pipe from turbo to inlet manifold.

No worries though, it would be a disadvantage to have one, cos then you wouldnt be able to see the lovely shiny engine block.....

Maybe the atf cooler is an ancillary one in addition to the one in the rad, if there are two pipes into the bottom of the rad then that'd be the case.

WOBBLY, i'm sorry I ment ATF cooler I think ??, SAE70 picked up on it.
Been out tonight and had a look..
1. I have a brand new,radiator,its nearest to the engine,with the fan attached to it, it has two outlets at the bottom, one in each corner.
2. I have another radiator,which is black, roughly the same size as the water radiator, which is right up against the water radiator in front of it, i.e nearest the plastic front grill, I assume this is an oil cooler, it has rubber and steel pipes attached to it.
3. I have the little radiator bolted to the slam panel,this has two pipes coming out the bottom,one of which is attached to one of the outlets to the water radiator, the other goes under the engine and towards the gear box I would assume.

Number two is your Air-Con rad.

Number three The MD have fitted the small ATF oil cooler as an addition to the OE ATF oil cooler that is located in the bottom of the radiator.

Number two is your Air-Con rad.

Number three The MD have fitted the small ATF oil cooler as an addition to the OE ATF oil cooler that is located in the bottom of the radiator.

OK air con rad, understand, sorry to be pain, don't understand MD.
If this little ATF rad is in addition, to the one in the radiator..
1. is this a good thing, or
2. might the ATF oil now be too cooled, i.e two rads cooling.
3. have I still got to be vigilant, as they are mixing the ATF in with the water rad still, which destroys the auto box, because they rust and leak.
Thanks Steve.

MD (main dealer)

Its a huge can of worms that your about to open up here that's for sure! Most fit the separate ATF oil cooler to remove the possibility of a fault with the integrity of the radiator causing contamination of the ATF, but if doing this you need a much thinner and larger oil cooler fitted with little or no gap between it and the Air-Con rad. If you do a lot of towing or large load carrying particularly on warmer days then the addition of an extra oil cooler in line with the OE one may be a good idea. In your case though and knowing what I now know on the subject I'd confidently say that your getting little or no benefit from having that extra oil cooler fitted in line with the OE one in the way that it has been fitted. I'd guess your getting less than a four degree differential in temperature across that cooler! Maybe even less considering that knocking on for half of its surface area has no air flow through it as it's being blocked by the slam panel!

Back