Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ok here is my photos of my 95

It may help your research to add 1KZ-TE to whatever you search for , that's the engine you have got , Steve has the newer D4D engine which comes with an intercooler as standard i think . Here's a retro fit intercooler on my 90 just for curiosities sake . http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/49833-120-1KZ-TE-Intercooler-on-a-90/page3 On the subject of ATF forgive me for asking do you guys really think Honey Badger should have immediate concerns about his set up ? of course mines a manual box so i know little about it but i was inclined to think the extra cooler was to protect against rad failure which is said to be common on auto's around the 100k mark . This is a new rad .

Last edited:
I dont think he has anything to worry about.

The extra atf radiator has been fitted in-line with the existing rad, rather than instead of, so its to provide extra cooling -I wonder if the original owner towed?

Only possible downside is that it may take longer to warm up the atf initially, but tbh hardly worth worrying about.

Pete

Wobbly, (Pete) He did tow a caravan.
Thanks for the replies, I am going to leave it for the moment ,just monitor, I am sending to OZ for a twin, engine / gearbox temp monitor.
I have no plans to tow, or off road, this vehicle, it will be lucky to do 3000 miles a year, which wont add much more to the 140000 that's on it now, ten years time, it might be on the 150000 miles at 25 years old.
I will renew the radiator every other year when I renew anti freeze, then I know the auto box is safe..

I will renew the radiator every other year when I renew anti freeze, then I know the auto box is safe..

Fair play but that is probably unnecessary. I changed the (original) radiator at 12 years old, it was absolutely fine then but I changed it as a preventative measure. I'm sure if you changed it every 3rd or 4th time you change coolant i.e. 6-8yrs that would be more than safe.

Probably more important to regularly check the coolant and ATF for signs of contamination - you never know a brand new radiator can still fail, unlikely yes.....but possible. You need to catch it early to save the autobox.

Back