Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Onboard water solution?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
My next little project is to build in an onboard water supply. I bought a Fiamma tank ages ago that is just to physically big to be of much use, and the side walls are really thin and it's already splitting. I've got the 12volt pump (FloKing at 10litres/minute, auto-start on demand) so that's sorted. I've been looking at other tanks..... what a palaver.

I'm looking for approximately 65 litres. Don't want to go crazy because weight kills, and I'd like to be functional rather than OTT. I also need to fit the physical tank into the rear load are probably up against the back of the bench seats so the weight is pretty much over the axle. It has to go next to the fridge but not steal all the space, so need something fairly tall and narrow....

The BOAB ones look good, but are the wrong way round for me - too wide and not high enough, and can't be flipped easily. Pricing is not great either.

TEK Tanks are also nice but damn they're expensive. They'll do a custom water tank but that may require a mortgage.

The FrontRunner one is kind of the design I'm looking at but again too pricy.

Then I found these
http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/75_litre_water_tanks/65_litre_plastic_water_storage_tank
Which seems perfect. Anyone used them?

I'll also be getting this shower head I think
http://boab.biz/acatalog/info_628.html

Any alternatives out there?? Anyone else found a slanted water tank to fit against the seat backs?? If I have to I'll put something in the rear footwell, but that's a bit more convoluted from a safety perspective - don't need a 60 litre tank flying around if worst happens ...

Yes Gary. You need the Black Widow one like mine. It does exactly that, has a built in pump and holds 70 lits.

Tanks direct make nice tanks, but seen their postage?

Had one of those shower heads. Poor. I got a metal one which was much better. Hose is just hose.

The Black Widow one also has fixing points.

Yes Chris but Black Widow is no more :(
So unless you want to let me have yours of course while you make a stainless steel one with internal baffles ...

Thought not :)

Ronnie cheers - had one of those and gave it away when we moved to the UK. Silly arse. My flag is where I'm from, not where I am :)

Pity though - was a great tank and what I'm looking for here. If a courier wasn't volume based I'd get one sent out...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just means you'll have to look a bit harder then G. Remember I didn't get mine new.

From memory, I think that is exacterly what Gary had. I helped to fit it originally to his 120

For crazy money you can get a Long Ranger water tank that fits under the left sill, I'm sure one could be made a whole lot cheaper and fixed in the gap!!
Think the part code is TW01SS.

I fitted a 70 litre tank in my hilux tub, sits at front of it, and drawers go behind it, got a surflo pump I think is name and tap. Pump has pressure switch.
Got tank on eBay, can dig out link tomorrow. It's black Plastic.

Thanks folks. Yup that Fiamma is what I have which is now leaking like a sieve unfortunately so I want something a bit more industrial....

For some background reading and ideas, it might be worth reading over this link

Thinking about it Gary there are the Frontrunner ones like this which are very space saving but only 40 litres each. If you can get something like this for the right price..... But APB want their usual ridiculous prices. Very convenient though

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 11.06.09.jpg

Yup Chris that's what I'm after but a little wider, or with an extension slopey bit at the bottom. That should give close to 60litres which is what I think is the most usable volume really

APB do another Gary with the wheel tub cut outs but it's twice the money and only about a litre more. The issue with tall and thin is strength. Otherwise it will just bulge.

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 11.52.00.jpg

Just to add though, having a thin tank against the cargo barrier is a much better use of space. My 70L BW is good but it takes up quite a bit of room. Obviously - the same room whether full or empty. Having the tank where it doesn't compromise storage is a good plan. There are some good custom water tank makers out there; I know Julian uses one. Of course he never replied when I mailed him. It seem endemic in the industry

As we just discussed Gary, I think this is a great looking proposition. I fancy one myself and it's affordable it seems.

Frontrunner again

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 12.30.57.jpg

yup - will be ordering one as soon as I measure up to ensure it all fits :)

Hey Gary,

I've just put in a Frontrunner water tank (yesterday). Its the black one with cutouts that Chris noted above. They are very impressive and very good at using otherwise dead space behind the back seats. There are 5 holes to secure it with and I used M10 bolts through all of them with load spreaders and when full there is no distortion of the tank that I could see. It has to be said it was expensive, but space it at a premium for us these days to any space saving option is worth it for us. We'll have a 20l jerry can to supplement this to give us 60l total and to use to ferry water from lakes/ rivers to the car.

IMG_3586.JPG

You can just see it in the back.

If your anywhere near Derbyshire your welcome to come and have a look

Back