Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ooooo shit

PETE BELL

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
we were out at Drumclog site not long ago after really heavy rain and i had a go at crossing the river got halfway across then floated down stream for 20 yards and ended up getting out the other side in reverse then this poor guy got it so wrong :icon-cry::icon-cry::icon-cry:

SPLASH2_zps972e4c8a.jpg

Looks like a 90 Defender?

What went wrong?
How did he end up being rolled over?

We now need the recovery pictures

Gra.

:shock: i hope they recovered it without too much damage

soggy pants for the rest of the day:lol:

i think the water was just to deep and fast to cross -i was lucky to get over and lucky it diddnt get serious ,at one point the water was going up my windscreen and over the roof .I remember thinking what the hell have i done and am i going to bail out poor guy in the landrover was unlucky and i didnot see the recovery

the toyota might of helped by being more airtight so you floated along then came out ok with the land rover, if its anything like my 90 it fills up pretty quickly so sinks and you say the water was pretty deep and fast flowing so probably just got rolled over with the force. just my humble thoughts of course:icon-biggrin:

when i got out there was almost no water inside my car

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the toyota might of helped by being more airtight so you floated along then came out ok with the land rover, if its anything like my 90 it fills up pretty quickly so sinks and you say the water was pretty deep and fast flowing so probably just got rolled over with the force. just my humble thoughts of course:icon-biggrin:

The military drivers are taught to open the doors to stop the vehicle floating away on deep/fast fords. In theory if it was full of water it should have been nigh impossible to turn over as the centre of the pushing force would be lower than the centre of gravity

I luv defenders maybe because they are about as aerodynamic as a brick , it's the crudeness of the design that appeals to me , i believe the original design was simply a copy of the American Jeep which itself was built with a 2 week life expectancy in the second world war . It's totally flat surfaces certainly wouldn't help in that depth of water but i'd own one tommorow if they were a foot wider to give the driver some elbow room .

i luv defenders maybe because they are about as aerodynamic as a brick , it's the crudeness of the design that appeals to me , i believe the original design was simply a copy of the american jeep which itself was built with a 2 week life expectancy in the second world war . It's totally flat surfaces certainly wouldn't help in that depth of water but i'd own one tommorow if they were a foot wider to give the driver some elbow room .

duck!!!

I luv defenders maybe because they are about as aerodynamic as a brick , it's the crudeness of the design that appeals to me , i believe the original design was simply a copy of the American Jeep which itself was built with a 2 week life expectancy in the second world war . It's totally flat surfaces certainly wouldn't help in that depth of water but i'd own one tommorow if they were a foot wider to give the driver some elbow room .

Have one (for camping/toy) and everytime I drive it it brings a smile to my face.
If you think a Defender is slab sided - try a Land Rover FC101 ambulance.....

Wow just posted my pic of me getting it wrong and then I viewed this.
A Landrover getting it wrong as well.

I will post the story of cheap ebay snow chains as well soon.

StrataSlip_zpsfc6131d7.jpg

Mal

i think the water was just to deep and fast to cross -i was lucky to get over and lucky it diddnt get serious ,at one point the water was going up my windscreen and over the roof .I remember thinking what the hell have i done and am i going to bail out poor guy in the landrover was unlucky and i didnot see the recovery

The military drivers are taught to open the doors to stop the vehicle floating away on deep/fast fords. In theory if it was full of water it should have been nigh impossible to turn over as the centre of the pushing force would be lower than the centre of gravity

This sort of matches the observations made in Aus; quite often a wagon (80/100/200/90/120/150 etc) will get through, whereas the ute will not; the ute's often end up getting spun round, as the tub or tray has no weight (especially if it's an alloy tray) and washed off the causeway, whereas the wagon has a bit more weight at the back with the body.

My gut feeling being a white water canoeist is that once the vehicle has some water in it it becomes more stable; I've paddled out of rapids fully swamped with a load of heavy gear in the canoe (including a full 7kg gas cylinder!!!) and the boat has been nearly as stable as when it's empty. The water inside slows the changing direction down a bit, and the weight of it is about 500kg all up (if it wasn't in the water) but the inherent buoyancy is enough to help control it that last little bit.

Back