Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OPINIONS NEEDED: '97 LX 450 w/ 233k miles

erea77

Country Flag
united_states
I am new to the forum, although I've been lurking for quite a while.

I am looking at buying a '97 LX 450 w/ the following:

-233k miles
-A/C needs to be repaired
-tan leather upholstery(front seats torn up slightly)
-towing package
-black onyx exterior
-power sunroof
-running boards
-roof rack

I am taking it into my mechanic today to get it checked out.

Is there anything in particular I should have him check out?
Any other advice about these vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

I could get it for around $2-2.5k.

Hi and welcome. 16 years old, 233k miles, someone else has had the best of it. That said, its not expensive and gas is relatively cheap out there so If you trust your mechanic and let him give it a thorough check over and a thorough report it may/may not be a cheap and reliable truck. After all if it dies and you get rid you wont loose a whole heap. Do not be tempted to "just do this, then that" otherwise it will become a money pit!! ( been there done that) you may consider a Truck in twice the condition at twice the price with a quarter of the work. Just as in the UK good 16 year old Cruisers are hard to find.
Anyway buddy stick your name up next time and lurk no more.

Andy

Hi and welcome. 16 years old, 233k miles, someone else has had the best of it. That said, its not expensive and gas is relatively cheap out there so If you trust your mechanic and let him give it a thorough check over and a thorough report it may/may not be a cheap and reliable truck. After all if it dies and you get rid you wont loose a whole heap. Do not be tempted to "just do this, then that" otherwise it will become a money pit!! ( been there done that) you may consider a Truck in twice the condition at twice the price with a quarter of the work. Just as in the UK good 16 year old Cruisers are hard to find.
Anyway buddy stick your name up next time and lurk no more.

Andy

Hey, thanks for the advice. The people who owned it previously never took it off-road and have the service records all the way back to 1999. They used it as a daily driver so I'm thinking I could get another 100k miles if I maintain it well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:
Welcome Eric!

It's a good philosophy and one that ma pay off. What do you want from your cruiser? If you're intending to use it as your DD commuting will probably burn up those 100 miles in a few years, however, if you only want to froad it, then that could be extended to 10 years of fun!

See how you go, but don't forget to post, get your numbers up and offer us some pics, plus a "build thread" and you'll get a lot of support from the members here.

Good luck!

Welcome Eric!

It's a good philosophy and one that ma pay off. What do you want from your cruiser? If you're intending to use it as your DD commuting will probably burn up those 100 miles in a few years, however, if you only want to froad it, then that could be extended to 10 years of fun!

See how you go, but don't forget to post, get your numbers up and offer us some pics, plus a "build thread" and you'll get a lot of support from the members here.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great welcome Clive!

My mechanic quoted me less than $500 to get it in prime condition. I talked the guy down from $3000 to $2350, so I officially the proud owner of a LX450.

I will take pics soon and post them. Any suggestions, like always, are greatly appreciated. I really respect the knowledge everyone has here!

Nice one Eric, keep the posts coming till we get pics. Usually by the time a UK Cruiser gets to that mileage its past its best.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back