Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Opression

Why not transfer the thread to the Pub and then those that want to can carry on name calling and being childish.........................and we can get on with enjoying the forum!

Why not transfer the thread to the Pub and then those that want to can carry on name calling and being childish.........................and we can get on with enjoying the forum!

:thumbup:

...Will there be beer?...

And peanuts. I like peanuts...

...ooooh anyone have biltong... Nom nom.

Can't we all just be friends, bound by a common obsession with Landcruisers. It is after all why this exists and we are here at the end of day...no?

Pay, don't pay... Whatever. It's really not worth getting riled up about.

:text-goodpost:

Packet of Woodbines, 6 pints of mild and a few games of bar billiards for me. Remember that anyone. Then fish and chips in the car afterwards.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Woodies, where are they now Frank? !! You could buy singles in those days or if you were flush, a pack of 5!

Fish & chips for 1s 10 pence on the way home... :violin: remember it well....

My old gran used to smoke Woodbines, every time she lit one she'd say "Another nail in me coffin" you couldn't meet a happier soul than my old gran. :whistle:

Packet of Woodbines, 6 pints of mild and a few games of bar billiards for me. Remember that anyone. Then fish and chips in the car afterwards.

Frank

I also recall playing bar billiards in the "Sun" at Clent, that must be in your neck of the woods Frank, maybe?

I remember the ice cream van outside my primary school used to sell single No6 for 4p each! A full pack was only about 25p in the Mobil garage and a gallon of 4* was 48p. My day used to say, mark my words, one day we'll see the £1 gallon. Now I'd be happy with the £1 litre.

I remember the ice cream van outside my primary school used to sell single No6 for 4p each! A full pack was only about 25p in the Mobil garage and a gallon of 4* was 48p. My day used to say, mark my words, one day we'll see the £1 gallon. Now I'd be happy with the £1 litre.

Petrol was 5s/2d a gallon when I got my first car in 1970. That's what, these days, about 26 pence a gallon? :lol:

Yes, when I started driving money had gone metric. It was all meters and pence. But I used to get a threepenny bit as pocket money before that. I still have some that I didn't spend.

I can't remember the year (about 1959) or how large the tank was but I do remember filling my Lambretta scooter for under 5 shillings.

Last edited:
I can't remember the year (about 1959) or how large the tank was but I do remember filling my Lambretta scooter for under 5 shillings.

Thanks Chas! You make me feel young again! Filling the tank on your Lambretta when I was only 6 years old!! You poor old thing!! :lol: A bit before the "Mods" phase I suppose, it wasn't a 200SX was it?

Hi Clive

Clent is just across the fields but I don't think there is a "Sun" . There is a Sun in Romsley. Perhaps you were confused as to where you were :shock:. I certainly was.

As far as I am concerned Woodies became redundant when I could get POT instead, before it was illegal!! Petrol was 4 Shillings 8 pence a gallon. That was a rip off as I was only on pocket money. There was no breathalyser but you could not harm anyone if you tried in those days because of cars with no performance. There was no MOT but it was illegal to drive a car in a dangerous condition, well that included everyone on the road.

On a more serious note those days are gone. Too much traffic and much more powerful cars.

Frank

What a lovely thread this has turned out to be. Great idea. Nice forum. Super people.

What a lovely thread this has turned out to be. Great idea. Nice forum. Super people.
:beer::beer: Cheers to that!

Not that I know anything about what you, err, more vintage members are referring to...

what at the hell is a woodie anyway?:confusion-confused:

Hi Clive

Clent is just across the fields but I don't think there is a "Sun" . There is a Sun in Romsley. Perhaps you were confused as to where you were :shock:. I certainly was.

As far as I am concerned Woodies became redundant when I could get POT instead, before it was illegal!! Petrol was 4 Shillings 8 pence a gallon. That was a rip off as I was only on pocket money. There was no breathalyser but you could not harm anyone if you tried in those days because of cars with no performance. There was no MOT but it was illegal to drive a car in a dangerous condition, well that included everyone on the road.

On a more serious note those days are gone. Too much traffic and much more powerful cars.

Frank

Maybe I wasn't confused going, more the trying to get home!

I suppose it was Romsley now you remind me, it was a long time ago when I was 17 in my A30 :lol:

It's a type of pigeon, that traditionally is rolled and smoked, Ryan. Very popular here in the UK in years gone by when tobacco was in short supply after the war. if you want to know about the war, ask Chas. He was there for both of them.

Back