Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Options for carry extra fuel

Interested to know what the outcome was from all the discussion and which way you went??

I have just fitted a longranger 166ltr fuel tank & it is really a nice fit in where the spare wheel was. Departure angle I beleive will not be a problem as the tow bar would ground out first. Just got to work out wether to use a pump system to feed the main tank or fuel solenoids.

Would you be able to share the cost involved and the supplier as along with tyres a LRFT is one of the first things i want to fit. Have you installey a Y shaped filler and if so was it bought or made?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Weight on the roof does 'weigh' a lot on you mind and keep you concentrating.... on a recent trip to the Gilf - Egypt, we took around 700ltrs of diesel each + 300ltrs of water after 2500miles off road we had around 150ltrs left.
My setup is a standard tank with 170ltr aux tank with the Toyota duel filler switch able at filler cap. I use a pump to feed the main. 250lts in 10x 25ltr plastic containers inside securely fastened(underneath a plywood board - bed for one!). 140ltr water fitted tank, plumbed to a pump / filters and tap. The rest of the water were in boxes of mineral water. I also had 7 jerries of diesel +1 jerry water and an Oz tent. You might think there is a lot of weight on my roof, but my roof was the lightest in the group, the heaviest was on the guides second vehicle LC70 with 600ltrs + all their bedding and camp gear (including a wood table approx 3x5ft). :think:
Luckily for us the first 800miles were reasonably flat with a few smallish dunes to cross. I did dent my rear aux tank bouncing down onto a rock(only doing 5mph)!! :doh: Should have had them bellows to help my springs.

I have the standard 90lt tank on my FJ 62, and for long trips have 7 20 l jerry cans on the roof. Yes, you can feel them up there on the rare occasions when you have them all filled, but for a long Sahara trip, with some dunes, we had no other option. It worked. I siphon the fuel out when needed, the bummer is filling when you want to use a funnel to filter the fuel! I rarely get more than 18 liter into each can. Agreed, a bigger tank under the vehicle would be better, but I already have a second spare wheel on a bumper carrier, and that has a lot of leverage on the chassis, a second one would not be good. I am thinking of a crane to hoist the second spare onto the roof rack.

One advantage of a jerry can is helping someone else out.

If your looking for an additional fuel tank, to mount under, by the chassis rails,
Then look at the Iveco, or Transit diesel tanks.
They offer a good size, and are rather flat, ie, not too high so they will cause little if no departure problems.

Graham

Thing with most solutions is the need to either put another filler neck or loose the spare tyre. Graham could the Iveco or Transit be the answer?

The idea I have, is that the fuel tank will fit between the chassis rails, and the filling neck will protrude up into the area where the rear door closes.
On the 120, where the rear door opens, is a tread plate, which is part of the rear bumper, for better explanation.
I am thinking of cutting or extending the filling neck, to about an inch below this tread plate, then cutting a suitable hole in the horizontal part of the tread plate in line with the filling neck.
When the door is closed, you can not see any thing.
But when the door is opened, you would be able to see the filling hole, with the filling cap.
Or some thing like that.
I don't know the length of the filling neck yet, my brother will measure and take photos for me soon.
A few metal straps (may be 2 or 3) of 25mm x 1mm around the circumference, also holding back any vertical movement, of the tank, and extending to a suitable mounting point on the LC.

Gra

The idea I have, is that the fuel tank will fit between the chassis rails, and the filling neck will protrude up into the area where the rear door closes.
On the 120, where the rear door opens, is a tread plate, which is part of the rear bumper, for better explanation.
I am thinking of cutting or extending the filling neck, to about an inch below this tread plate, then cutting a suitable hole in the horizontal part of the tread plate in line with the filling neck.
When the door is closed, you can not see any thing.
But when the door is opened, you would be able to see the filling hole, with the filling cap.
Or some thing like that.
I don't know the length of the filling neck yet, my brother will measure and take photos for me soon.
A few metal straps (may be 2 or 3) of 25mm x 1mm around the circumference, also holding back any vertical movement, of the tank, and extending to a suitable mounting point on the LC.

Gra

Could the filler be secreted into the side steps? If so it could be fairly discreet.

I have a landcruiser 70 fuel tank fitted as aux tank where the spare wheel was.
A double filler neck: left hole is for main tank, right hole for aux tank.
And a 12v pump.
Both tanks are equally big. So I just drive on the main untill it's dry, and then I start pumping. Just have to remember if the aux tank is empty or not :) :)

120920121672.jpg

Attachments

• 120920121672.jpg
    120920121672.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 86
I have a landcruiser 70 fuel tank fitted as aux tank where the spare wheel was.
A double filler neck: left hole is for main tank, right hole for aux tank.
And a 12v pump.
Both tanks are equally big. So I just drive on the main untill it's dry, and then I start pumping. Just have to remember if the aux tank is empty or not :) :)
Would be interested to know more about this set up Geert.

Is the double filler something you fabricated?

Also, how does the 12v pump transfer the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main?

Would be interested to know more about this set up Geert.

Is the double filler something you fabricated?

Also, how does the 12v pump transfer the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main?

In my installation the pump is switched manually from the dash & pumps from the long range tank & then into a tee I fitted in the breather pipe of the main tank and fills it that way.

it came with a Y filler & fuel cap (which I didn't use) , I used the Toyota dual filler where you pull a lever to divert the flow to whichever tank.

it wouldn't be at all difficult to fabricate a Y filler but don't forget to add 2 connections into it for the vent pipes from each tank.
The one regret I have about when I fitted mine was not fitting a fuel gauge sender in the top before I installed it, and can't face taking it out to fit one so I have put a double banjo connection on the out let with a valves off 'sight gauge' piece of clear pipe to give me a rough indication of what's left in it!

Andy

In my installation the pump is switched manually from the dash & pumps from the long range tank & then into a tee I fitted in the breather pipe of the main tank and fills it that way.
So is it a submerged 'push' pump or does it sit outside the tank and 'pull'?

it came with a Y filler & fuel cap (which I didn't use) , I used the Toyota dual filler where you pull a lever to divert the flow to whichever tank.
Do you still have the Y filler & fuel cap? :whistle:

No, it's not a submerged pump, just an electric pump bolted near the l range tank outlet.
This then pushes the fuel through an additional racor filter before its pumped into the main tank.

this means that when filling the rear tank with potentially dirty african fuel , only clean stuff goes into the main tank.

sorry not still got the Y filler & cap, gave it to another 80 owner a while ago!

No, it's not a submerged pump, just an electric pump bolted near the l range tank outlet.
This then pushes the fuel through an additional racor filter before its pumped into the main tank.
Thanks Andy, am I right in thinking it doesn't have to lift the fuel from the LR tank then, is its outlet near the bottom and the pump just pushes it up into the main tank?

Thanks for the info and link Andy:thumbup:

Now I'm really miffed, how the heck does a solid state fuel pump work?

Last edited:
Back