Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overlander Show

Well, in certain parts of the world I think it says 'I have way too much money, please kidnap me!' And in other parts, it is simply not practical - and here I am thinking Europe.

The other thing is that out in the styx, if you get stuck you are going to need some pretty serious recovering.

So I am the only person who would be a little wary of parking a 400k vehicle just about anywhere to actually go and look at something or go for a walk on an overland trip??

I think I'd be afraid to go in and pay for the fuel in the filling station:?

It was a good show and getting stronger by the year.

Parked in the middle of the camp field like Billy no mates only to Scot was only 100 yards away polishing his truck.

Oh yeah. Over heated on the way back! Another head bites the dust after 50,000 :icon-cry:

Hi Rich

What truck do you have? Head issues doesn't sound good :(

I had a great time at the show, met up with loads of friends, walked miles and saw lots of interesting set ups.

Many thanks to Andy & Julie for their hospitality and good company. Nice to see Sam again, he gets top marks for bring a cool, retro, back to basics 4x4 to the show (hope it made it back okay). Finally, Eva & Roman for bringing the sofa and No1 Overlanding vehicle, a hired Transit!

Great selection of vehicles on display, motorbikes through to massive trucks and every thing inbetween. Nice to see so many VW Syncros in one place, and the variety of mods on them, they seemed a great crowd with an active club scene.

I was very pleased with the weekend, weather was good, I thought that there was a good turn out of people and traders. Yes the site layout was all over the place, and there wasn't enough toilets, but I didn't expect a fully polished show. I went expecting to see a collection of overland vehicles, hear their owners travel tales and catch up with friends, with the added bonus of some traders and seminars thrown into the mix.

Rich, sorry to hear you had issues on the way home, if I'd known you were feeling lonely over there I would have popped in, I thought you were over there to avoid the singing muppets across the way that were still going strong at 02:30. Congrats again, it was nice to see you and your new wife again.

Will I go again? Yes. An any make, model or type of vehicle, overland show is just what the UK needed. (Good work Tom).

Well that was just about the best weekend I've ever had, loads of like minded people with a great selection of different vehicles (I think I could quite fancy one of those Syncros)
Meeting lots of old friends (and making a few new ones) plus meeting up with travelling companions from previous trips, parking on Julian V's pitch was very convenient (thank you muchly Julian :thumbup: and the p*ss up Sat night made it very difficult to climb the ladder to my roof tent) and meeting and talking to Andrew St Pierre White was the icing on the cake, what a nice man he is. I found out he is a fellow glider pilot we had a long chat about flying until some dickhead came and rudely interrupted talking about what he had and hadn't done to his LR.
I will definitely be going to future meets even though the layout of the pitches was a bit higgledy piggledy, there were three I didn't see until just a few minutes before I left and probably more as well.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like I missed another great one. Will have to get it in the diary for next year.

Anyone know the South African lad who was on Julians stand, he had a dark coloured 80, parked next to the white one which was for sale.?

Anyone know the South African lad who was on Julians stand, he had a dark coloured 80, parked next to the white one which was for sale.?

The 80 between Julian and the for sale one was silver/grey and belonged to Andre (going down south on the forum)

Good to see everyone who called by..

A few photos made into a slide show..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeQlKE3HmE&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for that Stan, a very professional looking bit of editing there.

I think the planning of the layout for the show pitches could do with modification, it was all a bit higgledy piggledy, on Sunday afternoon just before I headed for home I came across three stands I had missed (one selling something I had been after for a long time) and made me think there may have been others missed too. Maybe having 'avenues' of trade stands located in the same area so people can be sure of seeing them all might be good?

Last edited:
Had a great time at the overland show. Was nice to chat with Cossack and Julian. I should have bought Andrews book, the only mistake of the weekend!! :)

I really enjoyed it. The Zetos was beautiful, but as above, most European camp sites wouldn't let you in. Of course you could rough camp but in some countries that's illegal or dangerous, and it does scream 'LOADED' to everyone from police, to border guards to robbers (who could equally be the police or border guards!!)

My favourite truck of the day?
The 40 series for definite. Looking over it was like reading a book. everything on it had a function, nothing superfluous, right down to the bits of rope and string for tying stuff in!!

I would seriously consider selling a kidney for that truck!!

IMG_4443_zps7dfd1bf9.jpg

IMG_4442_zps19ee73cc.jpg

IMG_4449_zps0b62683f.jpg

IMG_4448_zps502d1c88.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_4456_zps50ba5662.jpg

IMG_4439_zps38b570ab.jpg

IMG_4440_zpsf5a2a252.jpg

Don't know if this belongs to someone on here but I thought this was a nice storage solution

IMG_4441_zps83b7796f.jpg

and finally, I know it's a landie, but I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the carawagon

IMG_4438_zps28ef269b.jpg

The Troopie there (above the horrid looking Landie) is Nick's and it's for sale. Built in NZ and shipped over here it's very nicely done. And only £34k.

The storage was the one on the West Coast stand I think. Very tidy tank underneath.

Tom 'the buck stops here' organiser of ADVENTURE OVERLAND at your disposal!

Have to agree with the comments about the "higgledy piggledy" - funny how the Google dictionary couldn't handle this phrase!!! :icon-biggrin: Thing is we laid out the trade stands to fit in with the gravel walkways, as obviously they so much better than grass if the site is wet. Trouble is, the walkways are curved at Stratford Racecourse, which of course made straight avenues impossible.

This will be rectified for AO`14 as we're reversing the trade and camping areas, hence a block grid system can be adopted. :dance: I'll start a separate post for the 2014 edition of the event if it's okay with admin.

Last edited:
Great to read the positive response to feedback Tom. Changing the trade stall layout will make a big difference I think. The only other suggestion would be to see if caterers would be interested in being up and running on the Friday evening - there were quite a few people (me included) that were just looking for food outlets on the first night - I think someone with a burger van open would have done very well!

Hope to see you there again next year - will look to get this in my diary soon.

It would also be good to understand the rather bemusing attitude of some exhibitors who just couldn't be bothered to actually sell products that they'd brought with them!
'Oh I don't have a price'
'Yes it's for sale, I'll get back to you in a bit'
'Give me your number and I'll call you'
'The bloke who usually does this will be back in a while if you want to hang around'
'Errm not sure, might be for a manual or an automatic, yes, I just don't know which one'

Staggering. Enjoyed it very much but could easily have parted with a significant amount of money IF someone had been interested in closing the sale.

I had two guys work there socks off for 10 mins just to sell me a £2.50 back of Jerky. Now that's enthusiasm. One bloke searched everywhere to find me a £2 connector. For others it seemed more like a conference than an exhibition.

Shows 2014

Hi All,

We had a very busy weekend and had a lot of conversations with customers old and new. Looking forward to the 2014 show.

But... LRO have just announced that they're moving the 2014 Peterborough show to the weekend before Tom's which isn't good news. And we'll be away on tour as will Waypoint, OneLife and Trailmasters so they'll not have many adventure tour operators. Well done LRO.

Happy trails,

Peter

Back