Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overlander Show

Pending conversations with the lady of the house we may go have a look around on the Sunday. The route up from Newbury looks quite pleasant.

My brother and I will be there tomorrow. Coming up in the Troopy. :)

See you guys there.

I'm here camping, lots if vehicles here but not many people looking around the show!
Getting windy mind.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Was there today. Was nice to meet Julian V and Andrew St. Pierre White. Some interesting stuff there.

Putty I wasn't able to stay the night. Would have been good to hook up with others.

A few photos from my iPhone:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385054.966021.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385071.532152.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385085.698608.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385097.082742.jpg

I was impressed with that Mercedes by Bliss Mobil - very well done inside and looked really good. A bit overkill though, IMO. Not really my cup of tea., but still cool. Absolute beast of a truck! Carries over 600L of fresh water, 6 solar panels and even has a washing machine. Wouldn't need a house if I had that. :)

Yeah I think so. I'm in Newbury, so it was about a 1.5 hour drive for me. There's some good cider and Zebra burgers too. :)

That looks like Stan's Troopie, the one he bought from the Buschtaxi show in Germany. He's taken the side window grills off, if it's his.

Love that Merc truck! :icon-biggrin:

I had a long chat withhim about the 40, it has real patina !

Leopard - saw your troopie in the car park, its a great looking truck.

Met Julian on his stand - really nice South African guy there as well, gave me some good 80 series hints and tips.

It took me about 2.5 hours to walk round, and it seems I missed the clubs area?

Met Roger on the Glass stand, and some 4x4Response folks I know on theirs, so all told it was a success for me.

Thought there would be more tents on display (hardly any), but lots of rooftents ! Actually didnt spend any more (well, £3 on a plug in usb adaptor!), was looking for an oz tent dealer to buy a kokoda chair and camp bed from.

Cheers

Pete

I had a wander around. Met Chris and Scot, also Chas, Stan, Julian, and the West Coast crew.

Lots of LR's, but also quite a few cruisers. Nene had a nice 105. Also a 70 series with a pop up roof - very nice. There was second one on another stand. Quite a few 80's. There were a few 7 ton, 10 ton and bigger trucks. Same hobby, bigger scale, and way more expensive. Cant see them going green laneing though! Also quite a few VW Synchros - some pretty tough and capable. There were quite a few stands with army surplus kit, and some with outdoor stuff, particularly tripod fire stands.

On a practical site, one bush craft site had skinning (wood pigeon, pheasant, rabbit and muntjac deer) demos and I got to skin my own wood pigeon - its now in the freezer.

I had a look at the West Coast stand, very impressive, did wonder why, if they have that many people they dont answer email enquiries, although as I left Julian was also being harangued for the same thing !

I liked the fact that it isnt Land Rover focussed, there was lots of other stuff - what about those bikes with motorbike tyres!

Pete

Leopard - saw your troopie in the car park, its a great looking truck.

Thanks Pete! I love that truck. Wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

I saw that truck. It costs more than your average house :)

Probably not wrong there mate. You always have to question when they won't even give you an indication of price on any marketing material or in conversation. I asked and she said that they quoted upon selection of specs and prices varied. Basically translated into: "you'll need to be sitting down when we give you the price and you'll need a mortgage promise from you bank before we'll even discuss the price. :) hahaha.. Still a neat truck though!

I had a look at the West Coast stand, very impressive, did wonder why, if they have that many people they dont answer email enquiries, although as I left Julian was also being harangued for the same thing !

I liked the fact that it isnt Land Rover focussed, there was lots of other stuff - what about those bikes with motorbike tyres!

Pete

Agreed! It actually had a nice range of vehicles and people. I really enjoyed seeing the VWs as well. They looked great and looked like a lot of fun! Wander if you could fit a Toyota engine in one.... ;)

the big merc was 400000 which is not that bad when you compare the price to a company called unicat.
stu

SO...Average price of a house in the UK is £180K, so this is for the other end of the spectrum.

So I am the only person who would be a little wary of parking a 400k vehicle just about anywhere to actually go and look at something or go for a walk on an overland trip??

I think I'd be afraid to go in and pay for the fuel in the filling station:?

Been today.

Had a nice catch up with a few. Enjoyed the day and lots to look at.

Back