Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pacemaker headers / Pro-Speed exhaust

Just an off-the-wall question - you're not getting a harmonic resonance type problem from gas / fuel tanks are you?? Definitely boom from the exhaust (I'm sure you will have checked for this, hence the 'silly question' :cool: ).

Sorry to hear about the woes - never good to consider hard-earned cash mis-spent ...

Definately the exhaust and definately still getting louder (no it's not blowing either) to the point where I couldn't use it early this morning for fear of waking up the neighbours :(

Sorry its not working mate- thats crap! Any chance of getting your money back?

does the truck sound cool at the moment- in a wideboy kind of way? have a bit of an idea to mate a 4.7v8 to an 80 series drivetrain and stick it in a lightweight challenge truck- but it has to sound good :D :D (after all thats the only reason for a rover v8!)

The tone is very nice no complaints about that it's just mega loud. Someone who wants everyone for a few hundred yards around to look to see what's making all the noise would love it :roll: but the novelty of it sounding like a race car but only going like a Landcruiser would soon wear off. Most annoying of all is that I thought I'd got it sorted in plenty of time for an upcoming trip to France and will now be really struggling to get it fixed in time.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Most annoying of all is that I thought I'd got it sorted in plenty of time for an upcoming trip to France and will now be really struggling to get it fixed in time.
Sorry to hear of your woes with the exhaust, Jon. Is putting the old one back on an option - I realise that this would be real work with the headers etc but being able to hear your radio/music driving to France would be a plus.

From your description, out of morbid curiosity I'd really love to hear how loud/bad it is currently :twisted: Hope you get a decent outcome soon!

Cheers,

They cut the old one off Andrew but one of the reasons for going custom was the exhaust was getting old and likely to need replacement soon including the CATs and OEM would have been a lot more than ProSpeed. Replacing the headers was to PM the cracking problems the OEM ones are known for. There is a Magnaflow dealer very close to here so I will see what they can do but once we decide on silencers to use they have to be imported from America as they don't normaly keep units as big as I want on the shelf. The OEM silencer on these is massive so there is plenty of space for a decent sized Magnaflow but it probably will not happen in time for going to France :x

A few people on here have heard it warm - Ray, Lorin, Julian V. For about 30 seconds from cold it's quite muted and then as it all warms up the volume rises.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got round to measuring it, this is static on the drive reving it, I'm sure it's much louder under load - 110db at 45 degrees and 500mm away from the tail pipe :shock: Someone a few houses up from us is having their drive done and I thought for a laugh I'd see how loud the still saw and wacker plate they're using are - about 108db at 500mm.

Dunno what your problem is Jon - sounds perfectly reasonable to us tinitis sufferers...

Jon, sorry to 'hear' this it turning into such a pain in the arse.
Did you get anywhere with the Supertrapp idea?
Is the main box well packed, did they use E Glass?
A bit strange that it is getting louder when warm

The box feels well packed Julian just from tapping the side but I've no idea what went in this one.

I ordered one of these which turned up today:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1884/5905

I had a bit of an experiment with it this afternoon and it did make it quite a lot quieter, mainly by eliminating the boom. At 6" diameter though it presents a new problem with clearance i.e. not bashing or catching it. It's effective enough for me to try getting a different tail pipe made up to stop that being such a problem though. The 1st ProSpeed tail pipe that was just a 90 degree pipe would have worked much better for this than what's on now, typical.

Jon, supertrapps are very good, I have seen them used on race cars running on public days at the 'ring
I only asked about packing as some materials would have batter sound reduction properties than others and I believe E glass is kind of middle of the road
Couldn't Pro speed ship the original tail section down as it has been such a hassle
J

Let me know if I can help out with bends/cones to go between things Jon...

Looks very strange but I should be able to do something about that:

Image0111.jpg

Image0112.jpg

Without the 6" shield:

Image0114.jpg

Or perhaps integrated in your planned rear bumper build ;)

Julian said:
Jon, supertrapps are very good, I have seen them used on race cars running on public days at the 'ring
I only asked about packing as some materials would have batter sound reduction properties than others and I believe E glass is kind of middle of the road
Couldn't Pro speed ship the original tail section down as it has been such a hassle
J

I'd never heard of supertrapp before. Charlie mentioned them so brownie points to him for that but it was just as I was leaving again and sounded like a last resort not something you'd do if you could possible avoid it. I thought why the flip didn't he mention them sooner so he could have had one on the shelf ready for my visit :evil:

The current tail pipe is the original one with a bit cut off ... There is a join just rearwards of the back axle though so it's only a quite short section I'll need to get made up. Another trip to ProSpeed would cost as much as having the pipe made up localy I think but it was my choice to go so far so I don't blame ProSpeed for that.

Thanks for the offer Gav, I'll keep that in mind ;)

Gavlad said:
I think it needs to come out thru the bumper ;-)

It could go an inch or so higher but any higher and then the chassis is in the way ;) I will be seeing if I can get a bit of a V bend in it under the chassis rail to have it exit higher up though.

The good news is the MOT tester said it would have to be a lot louder for him to fail it on noise.

The bad news is the CATs are foobar, it failed on emissions :(

Jon Wildsmith said:
The good news is the MOT tester said it would have to be a lot louder for him to fail it on noise.

The bad news is the CATs are foobar, it failed on emissions :(
Sorry to hear that Jon :cry: , but good about the noise, I don't feel so anxious about mine being fitted tomorrow now :cool:

Good luck Chas, you don't have CAT's on yours so you're safe from that problem at least. I wish I'd never heard of Pro Speed because now I have just a few weeks to persuade someone else to sort out the mess they've left me with so I can still go to France :evil:

Back