Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

paint?

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
I know its daft but the rear disc for the spare wheel, what should I paint it with - I want black to match the new wheels, would hammerite be OK? (I have some spare!)

It's plastic , use plasticote , don't forget the primer or nothing will stick for long . Vinyl wrap would prob make a quick and good job of it .

Last edited:
I've successfully sprayed many rigid plastic parts with standard primer and 2 pack. If it's a part that is likely to flex some then plastic specific primer and finish are advisable.

I don't think i ever mentioned that i found my spare wheel cover lying on the road one morning , when you bolt the cover over a wider wheel the cover is sort of spring loaded a little bit so you can get the nut on the carrier bolt . The cover was on the floor but the nut and bolt and alloy centre of the cover were all still on the truck . With no damage to suggest foul play i think the mild but constant pressure just made it let go . I removed the carrier and cut off the original bolt replacing it with a longer one the put a sleeve of copper pipe over the bolt to tighten up against . Slotted the alloy centre back into the cover and heaped araldite all around it .

Just remembered when i swapped the spare for a steel wheel i also swapped the wheel nut holding the cover on , the original alloy nuts were flared so might have held the plastic as well . There's a washer on my steel wheel nut now .

Last edited:
I sprayed my spare wheel cover with alloy wheel paint and its still going strong over a year later, all i did was key up the original paint with some wet and dry first.
And i only sprayed it with this paint because it was in the garage and was silver, although slightly darker than the original.

Back