Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Parking problems

Well I can guess at them, but maybe not guess them (hedging already... notice) they’re 15” rims, at least 10” with a hefty offset, circa 50mm....

Tyres look like Yokohama M+T 315/85/15....?

What’s my score?

Has to be more than zero, like last time... :oops:

You did better than me mate the optical illusion nagged at me until i contacted the owner Eric who kindly replied
"It was 15x12 Bart Super Truckers with 35/12.5/15 Geolandar M/T , they would fit with a 4 inch lift but where's the fun in that when you can get a 6 lift".

The truck with Toyo 37's i posted are mounted on a 17x9 rim so between the two i'm torturing myself with what if's .

My Toyo 33's are not even close to 33 while mounted on a 10" wide rim (i love my Toyo's they still look better than my cooper 285/75 mounted on a 16x8 rim which are a true 33) so i can't help questioning what a 37" Toyo would actually measure if mounted on a 12" wide rim ?

If I was to start all over again with my 81 experience again. I would and am still thinking that I would have a very good quality 4" lift. Because I experienced the amount of effort to get the truck to drive well and most importantly to feel at ease with how it drives at 85mph for instance.
I've experienced how it drove with a bent front adjustable panard rod and quite frankly I was terrified driving it.
You could say that that journey took years off my life.. but I knew the truck well!
Drove it from the very begining with a fractured power steering box chassis mount that was flexing with violent wheel wobble! So it's very clear to me from experience that when you go over 4" and fit 12.5" wide 35's yokohamas as above then there's some extra stress on the truck.
Had the axle castor correction plates on with the setup above and when I fitted the drop boxes without plating the steering box chassis mount.. there was a hell of an improvement. It would only do the death wobble here and there! Hardly a nice drive when you don't know when to expect it to happen next!
When you said Shayne that you can fit a 6" lift above.. are you sure that you want to destabilize the performance and usability of the truck for looks? Because like me you want to use the truck safely.
A story of experience! But after going through all of that, it's right and feel confident through the range of use!
It all comes down to "looks" and feeling comfortable with "use"!

Make a wise choice!:thumbup:

Oh Iwan, tell me about the death wobble, its not nice and that’s some understatement. :icon-surprised:

Bigger wheels/tyres do add a lot of strain on the components. I knew that when I started, but it drove well for amost 10 years.

Then it started going pear-shaped, power steering failures (maybe they were going to happen anyway) followed by a chassis crack on the existing welds just below the steering box.

No rust mind, just fatigue, simples.

Although I love it as it is, I still feel its too high, but Shayne’s followed me on some bendy roads in the past, and he’ll vouch that it still corners without falling over.

I think if I was starting afresh I’d split the lift between body and springs. I dont know what ratio mind, but maybe 4” on the coils and 2” body-lift. I know the complications of a body-lift, but if you do that first, then the difficult bits like adding steel bumpers, well they can be modded as you fit them (if Shayne wants them that is) to bring them up to the new body position. It’s only steel after all...:whistle:

A rear spare mount is almost unavoidable, there’s no way I could get my 305s in the cradle properly with an ARB steel rear bumper, unless you can find a way of modding that arrangement.

I had nobody to talk to when I made my choices, so it’s been a bit hit-and-miss, but I’m OK with it.

I’ve got a set of new 305/70/16 BFG muds in the shed, so if I could get my hands on a set of 5 General Grabbers in 315/75/16, for road and general everyday use, I’d be dancing :dance:

@clivehorridge Sorry don't seem to have any postcards available.
tyresdirectuk dot co dot uk do 4/5 brands in stock 305/70R16 including STT Pro & KM2 although not used the company so cannot comment on service.
camskill dot co dot uk do KM2 STT Open Country MT with currently 2 to 5 day lead times. My only experience of Camskill is that I ordered 4 x Toyos (not quite that size as for a Daihatsu Charade)Friday afternoon and they are here already in good condition and dated 5117.
tyreleader dot co dot uk have 12 brands in that size. I used them a few years ago once with no problems for some Vredestein tyres for an old E28 BMW (which was the proper colour like Shayne's lovely motors - my LC is sadly silver). Ship from Germany if I recall correctly.

I've used tyres direct as they're not too far from me and will fit them. Saves a lot of faffing. One for the to do list Clive when you're over visiting.

@clivehorridge Sorry don't seem to have any postcards available.
tyresdirectuk dot co dot uk do 4/5 brands in stock 305/70R16 including STT Pro & KM2 although not used the company so cannot comment on service.
camskill dot co dot uk do KM2 STT Open Country MT with currently 2 to 5 day lead times. My only experience of Camskill is that I ordered 4 x Toyos (not quite that size as for a Daihatsu Charade)Friday afternoon and they are here already in good condition and dated 5117.
tyreleader dot co dot uk have 12 brands in that size. I used them a few years ago once with no problems for some Vredestein tyres for an old E28 BMW (which was the proper colour like Shayne's lovely motors - my LC is sadly silver). Ship from Germany if I recall correctly.

Hey ren, thanks for your time on this matey, but sadly it only reinforces my frustrations. All the available tyres you’ve painstakingly sorted (in the above) are mud tread tyres, Cooper STT Pro & Cooper open Country MT, and BFG KM2, they’re all mud tyres.

Having a brand new set of muds in the shed, I’m after a set of 5 ATs, something like BFG KO2 (not the mud KM2) or General Grabber AT2, an all terrain tyre that’s a bit more comfortable, safer and harder wearing on asphalt.

Sorry if I’ve put you to bother...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've used tyres direct as they're not too far from me and will fit them. Saves a lot of faffing. One for the to do list Clive when you're over visiting.

Well I’ll give it a shot Nick, next year, but I don’t think Tyres Direct will be able to offer me what I’m after, AT pattern, BFG KO2 or GG AT2...

Plenty of Cooper STT Pros and BFG KM2s and TOYO muds around but not ATs...

Wise words iwan and it is all figured in , I'm not making myself understood very well i think , nothing unusual in that :doh:

What i'm looking for is an optical illusion , if i put my sensible head on the 35" BFG KO2 is the obvious choice for this truck because its in too good a condition to take around Lincomb forest anyway (i have mt 90 for that) but to my naked eye BFG in general always appear to be smaller than the same size Coopers - optical illusion in the wrong direction .

Anything with no sidewall pattern is dismissed at a glance . Toyo are my first choice but whats available are too small .

https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/315-75-16-maxxis-mt-762-bighorn-mud-terrain-113r_tl30303000

https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/315-75-16-cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-mud-terrain-127-124k_0076163 , i'm inclined to think the speed rating is a listing error .

Neither tyre calls for a 4" lift me thinks and out of respect for the fact i can let go of the steering wheel at 85mph no worries at all in this truck i had in mind to go for this kit http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_6and4inchlift_details.htm

No worries @clivehorridge you have not put me to bother. I should have been more observant of the nature of the tyres you were looking for. Sadly all the more road biased tyres I have seen available so far in that size are from less respected brands such as the "cough" Joyroad which looks vaguely Dueller AT ish. My only experience of this brand is on my wife's Charade which had 2 Joyroads on the front when bought and I would rate them as average (although I was pleasantly surprised how well they performed in the recent snow & ice as she was using the LC) but they have exhibited significant cracking within treads so are being replaced. I have also found cracking on Hankooks she had on her previous vehicle after less than a couple of years even though the same model of Hankook tyre on my then car lasted ages without that problem. I put this down to her working & parking at a hospital where there tends to be disproportionately high ozone levels.
I currently see no solution apart from a size (& maybe wheel size) tweak or finding a US seller who will ship international.
Sorry to have reinforced your frustrations (as well as to have gone a bit OT on @Shayne 's thread).
Edit: Now that I look at another pic of the Joyroad it does not look Dueller AT ish. I have seen 2 conflicting pics and am not sure which is correct. Both look road biased though.

No worries @clivehorridge you have not put me to bother. I should have been more observant of the nature of the tyres you were looking for. Sadly all the more road biased tyres I have seen available so far in that size are from less respected brands such as the "cough" Joyroad which looks vaguely Dueller AT ish. My only experience of this brand is on my wife's Charade which had 2 Joyroads on the front when bought and I would rate them as average (although I was pleasantly surprised how well they performed in the recent snow & ice as she was using the LC) but they have exhibited significant cracking within treads so are being replaced. I have also found cracking on Hankooks she had on her previous vehicle after less than a couple of years even though the same model of Hankook tyre on my then car lasted ages without that problem. I put this down to her working & parking at a hospital where there tends to be disproportionately high ozone levels.
I currently see no solution apart from a size (& maybe wheel size) tweak or finding a US seller who will ship international.
Sorry to have reinforced your frustrations (as well as to have gone a bit OT on @Shayne 's thread).
Edit: Now that I look at another pic of the Joyroad it does not look Dueller AT ish. I have seen 2 conflicting pics and am not sure which is correct. Both look road biased though.

I'm probably to blame for not being clear enough about my dilemma trying to get ATs, it's so frustrating that words tend to fail me...

The main frustration is that BFG (Michelin) make exactly what I want, it's the stockists that let me down. OK, I live in Romania, and it's not unreasonable to think that suppliers here have less access to "world" brands and size ranges, whatever.

So I abandoned my efforts here (and Bulgaria after trying everything I, and some others with the same problem, could think of) and with the very kind offer from a friend who has a European haulage business, to transport a set of tyres from anywhere in Europe (including London) on a direct(ish) route from London to Bucharest, I thought I'd give the UK, Holland, France, Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary and a few others slightly off line, a go, should be easy....

Nothing.

USA, yes of course Sir, how many truck loads do you want?

Bah :angry-banghead: (cribbing Shayne's favourite emoticon again)

305/70R16 fitted ren with no lift and tired suspension

upload_2018-3-26_16-8-59.jpeg

This one has a 5” snake racing lift and 315/75/16 Cooper MT so bigger tyres

upload_2018-3-26_16-12-45.jpeg

You see what i mean by optical illusion .

My 90 evolved into what it is today over years , i've bought 15 new wheels for it already , coil spacers were removed to fit a full suspension lift but i still wasn't happy so a body lift was added , then i replaced half the suspension and then by luck and lack of choice rather than design i swapped tyres for some that work perfectly for my needs , and that ain't half the story but i'm happy with it now .

DSCF2699.JPG

What i'm trying to figure out is how to do it right the first time with the 80 so i end up with something i'm happy with and empty pockets only once

Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Overall a good mud tire
Submitted 29 days ago

By Swoggy

From Washington

Verified Buyer

Reviewed at

47790_336173_logo_small.png

Comments about the Toyo Open Country M/T

No complaints except that in terms of size, i got a set of 37/12.50/17 and they measured to be an overall diameter of just under 35" (about 34 3/4") So they're a bit smaller than i expected
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from a conversation about Maxxis Creepy Crawler

Posted July 7, 2009
When I measured a set of 37x12.50 creepies on 16" diameter 8" rims they came up at nigh on 35.5".

hope that helps.

Mark
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I asked my question is because manufacturers specs are not "real world" measurements. My 35x12.50r20 Mickey Thompson ATZ measure 34.5 according to the website, but only measure 33.25 on my truck. Same is true about the 37x12.50r17 Cooper STT I had on another truck. Website said 36.9, but only measured 35.75 once the weight of the truck was on them. The above measurements were also with both tires aired to manufacturer's recommended psi for the trucks.

Last edited:
Well i ended up with 35's which actually measure 34" while mounted on a 15x10 rim and her indoors seems to think its her kitchen so i best order some suspension .

I wanted the Slee 4" simply because its a job lot all you need kit but emails get an auto response because they are rebuilding their website , and time dictates i should look closer to home so how about these

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/u...te_5_euro4x4parts_CASTOR-5-TOY-80-ET-105.html

Coupled with this

http://www.pedders.co.uk/4-inch-lif...ser-80-series-abs-fitted-models_p24719388.htm

Do i just not use the offset bushes included ?

I would post a pics of the wheels but windows has recently decided i'm not allowed to see my own pics and so hides them as soon as i upload them ?

What's in the box on the rh's? Lol!
Cool tyre haul there Shayne!:thumbup:

I’ve clearly not spent enough time on this…
I needed new boots and like the Cooper STTs but they’re not made any more so it’s S/T Maxx or STT Pro. After reading this thread https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/stt-pro-or-st-maxx.164238/
I decided it was 50/50 between the two so looked them up and found the STT Pro to be only K rated (110Km/h) so off to my local Tyre shop I went to order the S/T Maxx as they are Q rated at 99mph. After 10 minutes looking none of his suppliers across Europe could supply the Maxx in 285/75/R16 but all could do the STT Pro which they stated as Q rated. Turns out thecrating on the Cooper website does indeed say Q but it varies between Q and K through the size range. Strangely I and he couldn’t find any Tyre rating chart that showed K rating.

So, 4 off STT Pro are on their way.
Moral of the story- for me anyway is to check what the manufacturers say is the speed rating not the seller.

Last edited:
Back