Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Parking problems

I think most would be happy with these hoops and a 2 inch lift but not me .

The trouble is tyres shrink appearance wise as we add lift and i can't get it out of my head a 3" lift for 35's or a 6" lift for 37's , the trouble with that is which tyre has a huge influence on things , i've read on a 10 inch wide rim some brands will lose as much as 2 inches in height which can work in our favour if its factored in (4" lift with big 35's) .
But alas choice has been banned :angry-banghead:

The trouble is tyres shrink appearance wise as we add lift and i can't get it out of my head a 3" lift for 35's or a 6" lift for 37's , the trouble with that is which tyre has a huge influence on things , i've read on a 10 inch wide rim some brands will lose as much as 2 inches in height which can work in our favour if its factored in (4" lift with big 35's) .

I know the frustration, what is it with 16” rims?

Nobody in Europe stocks the bigger width 305 + (except the USA)

You would think someone might have noticed the trade war that's been going on between them for years by now wouldn't you :whistle:

Actually it's not just the UK. It's easier and more choice in the 15", 17",18" tire range. For some reason 16" tires are getting rarer depending on the size. Maybe because new trucks are no longer running 16" anymore.

Actually it's not just the UK. It's easier and more choice in the 15", 17",18" tire range. For some reason 16" tires are getting rarer depending on the size. Maybe because new trucks are no longer running 16" anymore.

True enough, but neither are they running 15”, but the available range in 15” always seems to be more.

Frustration made me opt for 37's on a 17" only to be told sorry they sold less than an hour ago :violin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Congratulations on the purchase Shayne.

I have to say. That is the best truck I have ever drove. Sticking 37s on it would be crazy in my opinion but we are all different.

May be worth having a word with Ryan. He runs a good set up with 37s and a slinky suspension set up I think.

I wouldn’t consider going more than 35” unless you’re intending a dedicated bogger, which I’m sure you’re not, Shayne.

Remember, even 33” don't fit inside the arches very well, so the truck has to sit on top of them, and to maintain good articulation, that means high enough above the tyres to allow for it.

I’ve just snapped this photo from the balcony, look at the vertical clearance I have between (almost) 33” and the arches. It looks too much, but anything less would catch, unless I extend the bump stops considerably, but that would reduce the available flex.

4FA2B009-88B4-4F86-AF3E-BA1DBE210571.jpeg

35” I’m sure I’d get away with, but not 37”, it would have to be even higher.

JMHO

And Shayne, re-reading your post above, I would suspect something wrong with a variance of 2” on height using different rim widths....

The fashion with the street racer custom boys these days is to stretch 255s or less onto 10” rims to enhance the low profile effect, but this would only show at extremes, surely?

On a 305, a 10” rim would pitch the tread edge (give or take) directly over the rim, so 1” difference on the rim width, either way, cannot (IMO) ever make 2” difference on the circumference, it just doesn’t make any sense to me. Rims narrower than the tyre tread never has made sense to me, which is why I run 10” rims, but admittedly I’m ready to be proven wrong.

I would take those comments with a large pinch of salt, if I were you...

Last edited:
Aye i get what your saying Clive but its not so much about stretching tyres so much as trusting some manufacturers to lie on the label . Search the interdebt for "true tire measurement" and you will find a lot of discussion about 33's that only measure 31.5 and 35's that don't quite measure up to 33" , same with 37's .

Just putting 305/70's on tell me these trucks don't like bigger tyres so i'm well aware that i would be opening a can of worms .

Whichever way i go its a lot of money to spend on something i don't really want so i'm trying to find a happy medium which is not easy given the lack of tyre choice .

After much reading and having seen them fitted to an 80 with my own eyes i'm inclined to think a 37" Maxxis creepy crawler is not much more than a true 35 while fitted to a 10" wide rim and its a gamble i would take if i wasn't absolutely sure that being limited to 70mph on a motorway run would send me loopy .

I've spent so many hours searching for what i want without success i'm actually starting to wonder if its worth putting a lift on the truck at all .

Thanks Karl i'm not looking to hack it up you will be happy to know its in very good condition and i hope to keep it that way i just need to make it mine the same way i did with my 90 .

With you on all that, mate.

I have opened that same can of worms, and my happy medium is 305/70/16 and the lift I have (whatever it is now). These tyres measure 32 & 3/4” but it’s irrelevant to me what the exact diameter is. The body clears them in all the situations I’ve thrown at it, so I’m good to go....

.... or would be if I could find someone selling the size I need :angry-banghead:

What irks me is that the manufacturer makes them, look at the manufacture list of BFG KO2, there they are 305/70/16, in black and white.

They make 315/75/16 too, (closer to your 35” or 37”) but does anyone outside the US stock them?

Answers on a postcard please...

Many thanks for that Mark, but really I’m after an AT.

I have a full set of new BFG KM2 Muds, and the STT Pro’s are a very similar tread to them.

Maxxis Bighorns are the other option , but this is what i want

upload_2018-3-25_13-45-25.jpeg

Bet you can't guess at the wheel and tyre combo on this one

upload_2018-3-25_14-3-29.jpeg

If you really want 37s be prepared to upgrade the front diff because it WILL break.
35s look right on the 80. 37s look better, but for me too much work to make it work properly, thats why I stick with 35 for now.

Bet you can't guess at the wheel and tyre combo on this one

View attachment 142139

Well I can guess at them, but maybe not guess them (hedging already... notice) they’re 15” rims, at least 10” with a hefty offset, circa 50mm....

Tyres look like Yokohama M+T 315/85/15....?

What’s my score?

Has to be more than zero, like last time... :oops:

Back