Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Please help me decide ....

I’m looking for a carbon copy of my 96 4.2 TD that is in good nick and price is not an issue.

I don't want many more Jon. Just one really nice one.

96 / 97 24v manual oil burner in blue, green maybe red. UK spec, VX or the same in petrol perhaps but insanely cheap please. These vehicles are out there. I can see them on my screen, but the diesels are hovering around the £8k mark. Yes, some cheaper but usually not VX, not P or R and not always that tidy. There is a scruffy GX 24v derv 2 miles from me. On an M and they want £10k!!!!! Its not worth £5K

There is a mint looking petrol for £5k. Inside looks cleaner than my house. Some very good looking petrols around the £3500 region. I am not bothered about gas really. I don't want to lose the spare wheel location or have a tank in the boot. I did have a wheel carrier knocking around somewhere though :icon-rolleyes: :whistle:

One will come. I am in a good position to pounce at the moment.

Chris

Oh FFS Chris, Buy a petrol 80 already and be done with it! You know you want to. I can see remnants of drool in you posts now. God knows what your keyboard must look like...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know I know. I could prob buy one, run it for a bit and if I didn't like it, sell it on!

I just really want a realisitic figure of what you can get on the motorway cruising at 70. So far no one has actually been able to come up with that. Short trips? Who cares, but the price of fuel and these trips to Scotland is getting ridiculous. No the answer isn't to buy some s***y little hatch back, I am prepared to pay a price. That's A price, but not an insane one. If I bought a petrol and only got 9 mpg cruising at 60 I really would be in a mess. 18 and I'd be delighted. Currently the silver Cruiser is returning 19 which is actually pretty much what Lil Blue did. But when I started it was 65 p lit. Now at 142p it's costing me more in fuel than it does for accom, food and booze put together. Not keen to completely p1zz away my inheritance, I need to get the cost per mile somewhere on Planet Earth. IN std trim when I first got it, I squeezed 21 out of it, so 19 is fair in it's rufty tufty configuration. It's the price of fuel that has gone up that's the killer. I can 't do anything about that, nor the mpg really. The only room for wriggling is better economy (24volt manual) or cheaper fuel - petrol. As I posted on Karl's thread the other day, gas is cheaper but for some reason people seem to get rubbish economy out of it. The cost per mile is very close to that of pure petrol. Plus the cost of the kit. Or the extra cost on a the car that has one fitted.

Ryan you're right. I should just buy the f***** and be done.

Seriously it's not a whinge 'Boo hoo my truck is so expensive to run' Yeah of course, it weighs 3 tonnes and is shaped like Clarissa Dickson Wright. I just like a challenge, you know.

Plus the Petrols sound so utterly awesome.

Chris

BTW Ryan, that's not drool on the keyboard. I found this site yeah? Called Babes do the most ..... Hang on, me tea's ready

Aaah, eloquently put as always Chris. I had a good chuckle reading that. I will also add that I happen to be driving up to Scotland, loch taye to be precise, on the 21st. I'll keep an accurate tab on fuel use. I'll do few petrol only miles too for a comparison to gas and settle this running cost malarkey for once and for all.

PS: they do sound awesome, especially once Prospeed have done their bit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can you all please stop this nonsense about 80s - you've even got me thinking about one now! :think:

I keep having to repeat to myself - "A 90 is what I want, a 90 is what I want, a 90 is what I want, a 90 is......" every few minutes just to keep the demons at bay!

:icon-wink: :lol:

P.S. Well, I suppose I already have 80 alloys, now just need to collect the rest of the bits to make a whole one........

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought it was common knowledge that everyone that has a 90 actually wanted to get an 80:shifty:

Runs and hides

Hi Chris,

You mention that you really need more economy.
You 80 series is chugging at 19 m.p.g.
It did 21 mpg when you got it.
The 120 series will chug 30 mpg.
That is a 50% improvement.

Now is the 80 series, 50% better than the 120 series?
Can the 80 series go to twice as many places the 120 can go to?

Put it another way,,, your inheritance will zip away twice as fast wit the 80, as it will with the 80.

You have an 80 series for serious off road playing, and you want another Land Cruiser, preferably another 80 series, for keeping for best, yeah?

The 120 series, is very capable, very comfortable, and for a Land Cruiser, it is very fuel efficient.

Scotland at 19 mpg, or Scotland at 30 or more mpg in the 120.

Gra.

The 120 series, is very capable, very comfortable, and for a Land Cruiser, it is very fuel efficient.
You forget, Gra, 120's and 90's aren't real Land Cruisers :icon-confused:

In Australia they are not even classed as a LandCruiser :whistle:

Attachments

• 2012-12-05_151319.jpg
    2012-12-05_151319.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 138
Gra had a 90 and a 95 and a 125

Why on earth would I want anything other than an 80?

Hmm? Stop trying to be logical. It doesn't work like that.

C

you would never get 30mpg in a kitted out 120 with lift, sliders, winch etc though

prado, 90, 70, 120, 80 , landcruiser- who cares - as long as its fun to drive and makes one smile thats what matters,

and whatever they are called in Oz, mine has a "landcruiser" badge on back

I'm quite happy with my 95-series, does what i want it to do and I dont feel its inadequate or missing out not having an 80-series :icon-biggrin:

More fuel to fire Gary.. More of a story than logic or facts..

I bought my first 80 to cross Africa - a logical choice :icon-cool: We drove to Cape Town and had no mechanical problems (apart from ones I more than likely created by working on the truck lol). She remained in Cape Town and we returned to London, lent to friends..
I then bought a second one, well, cause Lincomb was coming up and I'm tired of driving with Gav :p Esp after almost taking out the trees in the woods on the tennis ball challenge :p

I recently got back to Cape Town and picked up the silver truck from my friends. Had to prise it from their cold dead fingers as they're used to it now! (sure beats a polo?!). I've done an oil change and will do the rest of the fluids and take the axle apart for amusement - but she drives purrrrfectly. Absolutely in love with her Every day I drive her I get the feeling of cruising I had on the long trip.. It's an experience, not driving..
She is my wife's daily drive starting Friday as my red truck with the heavier duty parts arrives on Friday and I bet anything she'll start first time and I'll cruise straight out of the yard. The new one with intercooler is mind blowing to drive!

The only logical point I'll add is that out of the 80, 90 and 100, I found the 80 most comfortable to drive on long treks of 10+ hours. I was doing up to 13 hour stints / 1000kms/630miles on a tank only stopping for pee breaks for many days in a row and I felt great when getting out of the drivers seat. I haven't felt that in any other vehicle..

You just need to pick a colour Gary ;)

Indeed she was :icon-biggrin:

We chillaxxed around Lincomb in Muxley on the next one I think man :icon-cool:

Now, if I were Gaz in this 'ere carnundrum, being the proud owner & registered keeper of a 95, an 80 & an 'undee, reckon I'd have one of each :wtf: :obscene-birdiedoub:

Now, if I were Gaz in this 'ere carnundrum, being the proud owner & registered keeper of a 95, an 80 & an 'undee, reckon I'd have one of each :wtf: :obscene-birdiedoub:

Well, that is one way of avoiding having to decide which to choose :lol:

Working on it. Colour selected. SWMBO almost on side. Then we need to figure out exackerly which way to jump. Interesting though that even though I've mentioned 80 vs 120 that the 100 hasn't been punted too strongly as an alternative. Too expensive still anyway, so time will tell!

Gary if the 120 is not doing it for you, then the 100 isn't for you either. Best play it safe at get a nice 24v manual...

Can we actually find a former 80 owner that has gone on to something else and has not regretted it? If not then that says it all.

I didn't regret having a 100, they're fine cars, just not quite what I was after this time but I wouldn't rule one out in the future, just depends what I fancy at the time :icon-cool:

Back