Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Please help me decide ....

The '97 GX models had 8 seats, air con, rear sliding windows and a VC but the VX had in addition:

Leather seats all round (cloth in GX) with electric adustment on fronts (manual in GX)
Burr walnut door cappings and centre console
Chrome roof bars
Colour keyed bumpers
Electric sliding glass sunroof

And more radio speakers

For every practical argument you make for one option there will be a counter for the other, been there, IMO it's not a decision for tick boxes or lists of pros and cons, assume they are as near as damn it equal in all practical ways, throw the lists away and if you had one of each on the drive, which one would you pick up the keys for to go for a day out in the countryside?

80's are the best 4x4 ever :shifty: it's true, 4WD Action said so :icon-cool:

Are there lanes you've taken the 120 along that an 80 wouldn't fit? They'll squeeze through some pretty tight gaps. Even a 100 fits most places but are noticeably wider than an 80 in a tight spot.

If you don't buy a knacker I don't see an 80 as needing more looking after than a 120, less if anything and parts will be cheaper. How much for a rear (solid :whistle:) ARB for an 80 second hand?

We find the split slide rear windows very useful for access when fully loaded and as ventilation when the dog is on board, sometimes for the dogs benefit and sometimes ours!

The VC in the transfer box is part of what makes an 80 work so well on borderline surfaces where locking the centre diff causes some binding but being completely open causes a loss of traction. In a newer truck with traction control it's less of an issue because that will achieve a similar outcome but it's a very noticeable difference otherwise.

I agree ben

They will be traders so wont class themselves on it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went back to an 80, maybe we need a new support group, they just feel right, nothing else. And dont forget i now have access to the 105, they are over twice the price of an 80 here and just dont give you any more than an 80 so why would you. Have used the 120, 70, and 105 in Africa, had an 80 and a 100 in UK, still went back to the 80.

i also love the fact that you can tailor them to what you want, i know that is possible on a newer vehicle but seems more value for money throwing away the old parts.

Keeping the old ones on the road does give some satisfaction too.

Yes going to look at that on the weekend (a kind soul pointed it out to me on Thursday :lol:)

Happy for you to drive it down to me Gary. Many thanks.

See you Sunday then.

C

Left you the other green one Chris. Don't you want it anymore? I dunno - some people ...

Help you decide? Sounds rather conclusive to me! The 80 it is!

Just a few points from an African perspective, if this can help:

- LC 80 and 70 are the backbone of the Safari industry, and for a good reason

- The 120 is considered a "town car", for good reasons too

- An 80 bought "new import" usually comes with 200k km on the clock, and goes to the trail with little more than a change of oil and perhaps of suspension bushings

- An 80 with less than 150k km on the clock is considered "brand new"

- Oh, and by the way... $20k is a good starting price for anything decent around here, 1992 to 1994-5. Any younger than that and the price increases.

In conclusion:

Yes, the 80 makes sense, and if you get one that has been babied in Europe, with known history, you are miles ahead of us...

lots of blah blah blah but this isn't about what's practical or comparison between the models...go with your heart on this one and that means it has to be a
there is just something about them :dance:

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd 80, a petrol perhaps!
Just sold my 54 reg Passat TDi..
I must have it real bad.

IQ

Adding my 2c, I have just shipped my 80 from the UK to South Africa. I finally got it from customs etc in Durban at 6pm on a Thursday eve and Friday morning I had to leave for Johannesburg (600+ km). I had waved goodbye to the truck a month before, so I didn't have a chance to check anything before I left other than visibly note that none of the tyres were flat. I piled all my stuff in the back and hit the road on Friday morning, going from sea level to 5750ft in altitude. My 80 just purred along sitting at 120kmh pretty much the whole way.
On the Monday I jumped in and hit the Joburg traffic to start my new job - an hour (5 km:icon-confused:) commute in the morning and I get to work with a smile on my face after chasing the taxis out of the way.

The 80 is not an ideal commuting vehicle given its size and moderate fuel economy but if it's a weekend warrior, then what a pleasure! I say go for it, Gary!

PS: My cruiser has just been promoted to weekend warrior status as I have acquired a lesser vehicle to commute in (Ford Ranger d/cab 4x4:icon-biggrin:)

Gary, just a thought, I know you're keen to get back into an 80 and your 120 is probably in the local paper already, but is it worth just checking with Angela first. I know it's unlikely but worth it in case she has any teeny misgivings about this.

What? Oh you HAVE already asked SWMBO. Right. And the outcome was ............

:laughing-rolling:

Chris

Seems everyone who already has an 80 would like more of them, me included :icon-biggrin:

Oh Jon. Shall we just club together and buy a pool of them that we can just take out whenever we like.

Hmm? Oh Mr Lomas has done that for us already? Andy, you're a star! Do you deliver?

Actually I want a trailer to put mine on and another 80 to pull it. That way I can SORN the silver one and just off road it.

Arf Arf

C

I don't think we should be encouraging anyone to buy them Chris, leaves more for us :lol:

I don't want many more Jon. Just one really nice one.

96 / 97 24v manual oil burner in blue, green maybe red. UK spec, VX or the same in petrol perhaps but insanely cheap please. These vehicles are out there. I can see them on my screen, but the diesels are hovering around the £8k mark. Yes, some cheaper but usually not VX, not P or R and not always that tidy. There is a scruffy GX 24v derv 2 miles from me. On an M and they want £10k!!!!! Its not worth £5K

There is a mint looking petrol for £5k. Inside looks cleaner than my house. Some very good looking petrols around the £3500 region. I am not bothered about gas really. I don't want to lose the spare wheel location or have a tank in the boot. I did have a wheel carrier knocking around somewhere though :icon-rolleyes: :whistle:

One will come. I am in a good position to pounce at the moment.

Chris

Back