Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poulet Basquaise... It's a Basque chicken stew

fast but dim

I'll start this off: Poulet Basquaise... It's a Basque chicken stew.

I had this for the first time on a 4x4 trip, cooked by a genuine frenchman in a dutch oven on an open fire (the recipe below is done in the oven) but you can do it on a stovetop. It's become a regular meal in our house, and you can substitute thighs for the whole chicken.

We had it with rice and french bread, and it's the nicest campfire cooked meal I've had!

Remember, the recipe came from a Frenchman, and so is elaborate. You can just bung it in the dutch oven and simmer!

Ingredients:
- 1 chicken
- 2 or 3 medium size onions
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 peppers (2 red and 1 green if you can)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bottle of dry white wine (sauvignon or chardonnay)
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaves and thyme), olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 cube of chicken stock
The magic ingredient is Espelette pepper, but it is still quite good if you don't have any.

1) chop the onions. Remove seeds from peppers, and cut them in strips. Chop the garlic

2) Cut up the chicken in 6 parts + carcass. Brown the meat in a casserole dish with a little olive oil. Remove chicken

3) Add a little more olive oil in the dish on high heat, add the chopped onions and stir. when onions are translucent, add the peppers and the garlic. Stir well for 5 to ten minutes

4) Add the chicken, stir again for a couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes and the white wine. I usually put the whole bottle, but there is nothing to stop you from drinking a glass or 3 and adding water to top it up. Add stock cube and Espelette pepper, or normal pepper if it's all you have. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the meat, put the lid on and warm your oven to 180ºC (thermostat 6). When oven is warm enough, take pot from the burner and into the oven and cook for roughly 35 minutes.

Big thanks to St. Just!

hmmm, sounds like it needs to be tried. Maybe we should nominate people to try the recipes and report back :laughing-rolling:

I've split your thread off into a new topic - I think they would all become lost in the long thread if we bundled them together.

Sounds great.... Really :thumbup:

Problem is, I don't have a Basque... do you think it would spoil it if I just wear my shorts?

Sounds great.... Really :thumbup:

Problem is, I don't have a Basque... do you think it would spoil it if I just wear my shorts?

No no Clive, my understanding is the chicken wears it…

…or did I get that wrong…

Sounds tasty, the food I mean not Clive in a basque.
lol-045.gif

Back