Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado 90 experts needed please

travelytrain

Country Flag
united_states
just bought a 2004 Prado vx ego 4 door in Colombia, they produced the 90 series until 2009 here! I am trying to figure out if it has VSC, Traction Control, and/or center differential lock. I has the regular nubby, 2H-4H-N-4L, (not the other one i see H-N-L), there are 2 buttons next to the automatic shifter, ECT and 2nd. no other buttons i have found. when i engage 4 wheel drive a light comes on the dash, its a yellow chassis with a tiny X in the middle(it doesnt have the green wheels, its all yellow all the time). The light is located in the bottom left corner. hope this information helps and thank you all for your help, and i look forward to posting pics!

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to the club. I’m no expert (specially on Colombian spec models), but the two buttons sound similar. The one marked 2 when pressed makes the gearbox start off in second instead of first, handy to help prevent wheel spin in mud or snow. The ECT button (PWR on UK models), if pressed, makes the shift happen higher in the rev range for sportier performance (more info here: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf ). The yellow light with the X tells you that the centre diff is locked, so it looks like you’ve got one of those. In the UK, we got the Colorado which is permanent 4WD. Hope this helps, look forward to the pics.

Sounds like it has same 4x4 setup as the Hilux

thank you for the responses, from what i have read it looks like the center diff lock is the best feature to have (from the stock options)? would lockers still be needed?

UK 90 series has a centre and rear lockers but the rear is only really used when you expect to get stuck or you are already stuck , its a very capable vehicle without the rear locked so i would test it on your local trails as is before chucking money at lockers .

just bought a 2004 Prado vx ego 4 door in Colombia, they produced the 90 series until 2009 here! I am trying to figure out if it has VSC, Traction Control, and/or center differential lock. I has the regular nubby, 2H-4H-N-4L, (not the other one i see H-N-L), there are 2 buttons next to the automatic shifter, ECT and 2nd. no other buttons i have found. when i engage 4 wheel drive a light comes on the dash, its a yellow chassis with a tiny X in the middle(it doesnt have the green wheels, its all yellow all the time). The light is located in the bottom left corner. hope this information helps and thank you all for your help, and i look forward to posting pics!

thank you for the responses, from what i have read it looks like the center diff lock is the best feature to have (from the stock options)? would lockers still be needed?

if you can keep your wheels on the ground and keep traction you don't need lockers.
when driving in deep mud, or with wheels in the air (trail) lockers are an expensive welcome !!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back