Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Problem with stiff ignition barrel

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
Any tips for a stiff barrel? I've had some new keys cut as my original fob fell apart because its only held together by a small screw
Its on my 2004 100 series landcruiser
Both the new keys are stiff in and out . The pro. Security company that cut the keys from the original key have taken another look at the key but can't do any more
The keys are stiff into the barrel and very awkward to remove
I've resisted putting wd40 type products into barrel because of electrics in key reader
Has anyone got any tips ?
If I asked the dealer to issue another master key do you think this would solve my problem
Cheers kieron in the UK

Shayne.... is that Timpsons the high street key cutters?

Yeah in morrisons but just one guy who was replaced with a modern brain dead replica

Hi Shane
Thanks for the advice ill give it a go and ill report back
Cheers kieron in The Peak District

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Should be able to find this at about a fiver:

Kasp 30050 Graphite Powder 50g

Many thanks all
I'm having problems with the tailgate and passenger door not opening and locking with the key. I've sprayed them with lock lube but no joy

Don't force the key as the bit of metal that connects the key to the electric bobbins is not overly strong and can snap at the most awkward moment mine actually snapped on my driveway just after being motd and Jacob had his go at a pub meet plus they can be a right sod to put right trying to line things back up or go back together simple as pie so just be aware

Just polish your new keys up with P1200 wet and dry take the sharp edges off .

Both locks and keys wear with years of use .

A tickle with a spinning wire brush should take the barbs off which are probo causing the problem. Most cutters do this just after they hand the cut keys to the customer.

I have taken the key back in a few times to lock smiths and they can't get it any better

When the key stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn or come out on my 120, I too was worried about electrics/immobiliser, so squirted a load of electrical switch cleaner around the key/slot, to seep in, it still wouldn't budge so I left it overnight in our locked yard.
Next morning, success. That was 2 years ago and no problems since !

... my original key fob fell apart because its only held together by a small screw
Its on my 2004 100 series landcruiser.......
Cheers kieron in the UK
What you do when the key falls apart, is to get a new key housing from YotaMD. You re-use the metal part (the key sword) and the buttons/chip inside, and move it over to a key head/housing which is as sturdy as the cruiser itself. So no cutting of new keys, as long as it is only the head that breaks. The Yota one will last forever.

Graphite powder! Lube/WD40 simply glues stiff in place such as dust, pocket fluff and so on. If you have any sort of solvent such as electrical contact cleaner or even 'easy start' this will help with the initial cleaning, let it dry out and then use graphite, it is not sticky but it does get on the key for awhile after using it, remember to keep a tissue in your pocket to keep wiping the key after use, eventually the graphite gets up into the mechanism and your key starts to clean up.

Regards

Dave

I mixed some graphite powder with a solvent in a small squeezy pippet type bottle so it could be injected into locks and other small orifices. It worked a treat on a bike ign lock.

Back