Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prop shaft - which way round? - getting vibration at around 40mph

Carl B

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

I have just swapped out the engine and gearbox on my amazon and even though I marked up which way round the propshaft went I am convinced that on my old landcruiser the telescopic part was nearest the transfer box but how it was on my current landcruiser is the telescopic part nearest the rear axle.

As I am getting vibration now at around 40mph I am getting paranoid and checking everything. Anyone know the correct way?

thanks

Won't make any difference which way round it goes. Balanced is balanced. But there should be a boss on the shaft and flange to make sure that the shaft is bolted up centrally. Perhaps these are slightly different one end to the other. Easiest fix is to take it off and turn it round and see?

Hi,
Yes the telescopic part is at the transfer box end not the axle.

Won't make any difference which way round it goes. Balanced is balanced. But there should be a boss on the shaft and flange to make sure that the shaft is bolted up centrally. Perhaps these are slightly different one end to the other. Easiest fix is to take it off and turn it round and see?

Thanks for this - might explain the vibrations if I have it the wrong way around

It might but to be honest I doubt it. I am pretty sure they'll fit either way. They should be a snug fit on the boss though. Take the bolts out and see if you can move the two flanges around. You shouldn't be able to. This is what you experience when you take the bolts out and can't the flanges apart. They're plugged into each other. Or should be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
According to specs:
The splines forward, on both front and rear prop; unless you have the A343F gearbox where the rear prop has the splines to the rear.

More important is that the splines are put in right, so that the front and rear UJs move in unison.

Is there less vibration with newly greased UJs?

Indeed and my suggestions were purely based on orientation but as we all know if you split the slip section then all bets are off!

I had a vibration on letting off the accelerator at 60 after mixing everything up once. We have a GKN in leek so took the whole front prop there. They correctly oriantated the whole thing on the balancer. Came back painted and greased up too. I know i could of sorted it through process of elimination, but i wasnt in the mood.

Back